blueoysterboy

winding automatic

blueoysterboy

This might be a stupid question but I'm not shy about making a fool of myself (a trait shared by many here at RWG), so here goes . I generally have a 4-5 watch rotation at any time, some are automatics and some are quartz.  I put on one of my automatics this am and noticed that it had run down.  I reset the time/date, put on my wrist and went about my day.  This afternoon I noticed that the watch had stopped.  I went and hand wound it and now it is running fine.  My question is, is it generally a good idea to hand wind an automatic that has run down, or should normal wrist movement be all that is necessary to get it up and going for the day?

Edited by 0ysterboy

GenTLe

Normally 10/20 turns of the crown is a good way to start them. The movement keeps them running fine later.

Left Coast Guy

I'll second GenTLe, though a reminder 7750's are geared high in the winding mechanism, so its prudent to be gentle(!) with those when you wind 

JimboJames1972

I have a watch winder to keep my non-worn autos running.

I don’t like to keep them all fully wound so I have the winder wired to a timing plug - starts at 08:00 and runs for two hours.  Then an hour break and another two hours turning.  They then rest until about 19:00 for another two hours.  This is a good balance for them.

If they do get out of synch and one runs flat it always gets a dozen or to turns in the crown and then worn for the day.  From what I have learnt, hand winding charges most energy into the spring, wearing and auto winding just keeps it topped up.

J