Jump to content
mzinski

Phong/Jensen Sued by Rolex

Recommended Posts

RussP

I'm blissfully unaware of who Phong/Jensen is..........but if they've profitted by selling fake parts and got away with it for so long, it was just a matter of time :blowup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jibuti

and now  it is just a matter of crime...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RepGuy

Better get your Phong cases while you still can. I'm sure they will go the way of TC subs in the future, and be even more expensive on the second hand market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J!m

Interesting. Based on the allegation wording I think Jensenbwill be fine. Burden of proof is on Rolex to prove he is willingly trying to deceive his customers into believing they are buying a genuine Rolex (for pennies on the dollar). 

I say to Rolex: revise your vintage policy and stop destroying the history of your products demanding new dials hands and bezel inserts on vintage stuff you “service”.

If we wanted a new watch we’d buy one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paccbet

They have been sued before and I'm sure they will be fine. 

He also has a legal entity: http://www.aristotlewatches.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RUSH2112
2 hours ago, paccbet said:

They have been sued before and I'm sure they will be fine. 

He also has a legal entity: http://www.aristotlewatches.com/

If you go to that site and read the “about” section it’s practically a confession.  Says he creates rare vintage parts for those high end watches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fatarms
3 hours ago, J!m said:

Interesting. Based on the allegation wording I think Jensenbwill be fine. Burden of proof is on Rolex to prove he is willingly trying to deceive his customers into believing they are buying a genuine Rolex (for pennies on the dollar). 

I say to Rolex: revise your vintage policy and stop destroying the history of your products demanding new dials hands and bezel inserts on vintage stuff you “service”.

If we wanted a new watch we’d buy one. 

I like this a lot.  The problem is that Rolex insists that any watch sent to the for a service needs to leave looking like it's brand new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cs1422
On 11/08/2018 at 00:36, fatarms said:

I like this a lot.  The problem is that Rolex insists that any watch sent to the for a service needs to leave looking like it's brand new.

Which in turn can destroy value. My father in law's 16760 went in for a service, and they essentially held it ransom until he agreed to put new hands on it and a severe polish. Bad day indeed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deju
On 10/08/2018 at 22:35, RepGuy said:

Better get your Phong cases while you still can. I'm sure they will go the way of TC subs in the future, and be even more expensive on the second hand market.

thing is if history has taught us anything eventually the factories catch up, like the days before panerai 111 V4 members went mental for little hero custom cases etc,  more seasoned members can correct me but these would be £1000 for a replica that by todays standards aren't that great.

I think we will see noob turn their attentions to vintage daytona's now they have the movement sorted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fatarms
1 hour ago, Cs1422 said:

Which in turn can destroy value. My father in law's 16760 went in for a service, and they essentially held it ransom until he agreed to put new hands on it and a severe polish. Bad day indeed. 

 

Completely agree.  I have a 1983 Rolex 16750 from my wife's grandfather.  It was never serviced by Rolex, has a ghost bezel in the red section and faded blue from the Texas sun.  The dial is still the original matte tritium dial as well.  Had he sent it in, they would've replaced both of those things which would diminish the character and value today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RepGuy
50 minutes ago, deju said:

thing is if history has taught us anything eventually the factories catch up, like the days before panerai 111 V4 members went mental for little hero custom cases etc,  more seasoned members can correct me but these would be £1000 for a replica that by todays standards aren't that great.

I think we will see noob turn their attentions to vintage daytona's now they have the movement sorted.  

Maybe, but Phong is still considered a "brand name" in terms of replica parts, and I don't think that distinction will go away once the supply dries up. In fact, I imagine it will lead to members thinking even more highly of the parts than before he was sued.

Noob may very well begin to focus on vintage models, but I think it will be a slow process. After all, if they get everything right on the v1, they can't sell the future versions as easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperDanX
3 hours ago, deju said:

thing is if history has taught us anything eventually the factories catch up, like the days before panerai 111 V4 members went mental for little hero custom cases etc,  more seasoned members can correct me but these would be £1000 for a replica that by todays standards aren't that great.

I think we will see noob turn their attentions to vintage daytona's now they have the movement sorted.  

No, when you say vintage Daytona what do you mean? Vintage Daytonas used Valjoux V72 manual wind movements Noob have nothing like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deju
12 minutes ago, SuperDanX said:

No, when you say vintage Daytona what do you mean? Vintage Daytonas used Valjoux V72 manual wind movements Noob have nothing like that. 

2 years ago you would have said that about the 4130 movement.

We have to accept they are getting better at replicating things, I think they could turn their attention to the zenith or the v72, let’s face it there would be a massive market for the v72 Newman’s, even into the $thousands. So it’s worth going after the big bucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperDanX
2 minutes ago, deju said:

2 years ago you would have said that about the 4130 movement.

We have to accept they are getting better at replicating things, I think they could turn their attention to the zenith or the v72, let’s face it there would be a massive market for the v72 Newman’s, even into the $thousands. So it’s worth going after the big bucks. 

I hope your right mate. I’ll be first in the queue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FoxWilde
3 hours ago, RepGuy said:

Noob may very well begin to focus on vintage models, but I think it will be a slow process. After all, if they get everything right on the v1, they can't sell the future versions as easily.

I really hope they do. It's been a while since I've seen a good out-of-the-box vintage rolex rep.

It'll be interesting to see how this case goes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RepGuy
51 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

It'll be interesting to see how this case goes..

Rolex will win. They will lock him up in endless years of court battles until he is too broke to fight back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlanetZoom

I'm familiar with Phong.  But who is Jensen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GingerBlubba
8 hours ago, PlanetZoom said:

I'm familiar with Phong.  But who is Jensen? 

I think I read somewhere that it's Phong's son. But I could be making that up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J!m

This is my understanding as well.

Phong being in Asia and Jensen being in the U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RepGuy
8 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

I think I read somewhere that it's Phong's son. But I could be making that up.

You do tend to make up a lot of shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
On 15/08/2018 at 14:59, RepGuy said:

You do tend to make up a lot of shit

But that's why we like him so much, let's say that out loud : even though he has gorgeous rotten tomato coloured pubes, that's not enough !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RepGuy
26 minutes ago, Glaude said:

rotten tomato coloured pubes

tenor.gif?itemid=5025909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GingerBlubba

No wonder my wife doesn't give me (hardly) any BJ's anymore.

Good job RepGuy's does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EBB
On 15/08/2018 at 08:50, GingerBlubba said:

I think I read somewhere that it's Phong's son. But I could be making that up.

you're confusing Phong with Phung, it's ok rookie mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×