emsacl

Arnold & Sons Moonphase

emsacl

I have been looking for an Arnold & Sons Moonphase for a while, but have not found any on any of the TD website.  Now on DHGate, this is being offered https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/new-42mm-arnold-son-hm-perpetual-moon-a1glari01ac122a/411535503.html Does anyone have any insight here?  Are these any good, and if so, why don't the TD's have them on their sites?

semperfi55

I'm always skeptical when rep sellers claim moonphase. Even TDs too.

It's a pretty watch, I like it but too pricey for me to take a risk! It's also probably overpriced for what it is.

Can you imagine throwing $360 for a watch whose main thing is the moonphase, and you receive an am/pm indicator :daffy:

I'm not an expert but this guy @Glaude would know

Logixa

@emsacl mail Mary with picture of what you want and she will look if she can get it.

@Mary Watch

GenTLe

DHGate pic is of a genuine one. How do you know what you will receive?

emsacl
8 hours ago, GenTLe said:

yes, this  combined with the lack of offering from TDs looks suspicious

8 hours ago, GenTLe said:

thanks - good advice

Glaude
14 hours ago, GenTLe said:

The first pic yes, but the other pics really look like the listing pictures this seller put in his other listings and does look like a rep. The movement shown is a rep and is not even close to the real one. The moonphase seem to be a well made day/night indicator.

Based on your experience have you ever see any Arnold & Son rep before ?
This is mostly what makes me sceptical about this listing, that would be the first A&S rep I've ever see !

16 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

It's a pretty watch, I like it but too pricey for me to take a risk! It's also probably overpriced for what it is.

Can you imagine throwing $360 for a watch whose main thing is the moonphase, and you receive an am/pm indicator :daffy:

I'm not an expert but this guy @Glaude would know

This seller is usually on the expensive side of things, but safe to buy from, this listing is somewhat suspicious for the reason I mentioned just above.

Here the gen for comparison :

HM Perpetual Moon

greg_r
16 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

Indeed. There are a couple of reps with working moonphase, but they're the exception to the rule, Most are simply day/night indicators and Id suspect that this one is of that ilk. Talk to Marvellous Replica, Mary Watch or Watchfinder, all of whom are good at finding the more obscure reps, and ask - they may have more info about movement etc.

emsacl

Just a follow up - Mary advises that she is unable to get this watch - I therefore believe the DHGate listing to be a risk.

MrZoSo

Got this off ebay. Nice watch. 

Zcf3X.md.jpg

onionbag

Greg has concluded this discussion

There is no rep of this dial...and importantly of this movement,

MrZoSo

The homage I have is NOT an AM/PM indicator.  However, it is an Automatic. 

ZRLmf.md.jpg

Glaude
6 hours ago, MrZoSo said:

The homage I have is NOT an AM/PM indicator.  However, it is an Automatic.

That's very good to know ! Thanks !

9 hours ago, MrZoSo said:

Got this off ebay. Nice watch.

I tend to think that if the homage exist, the rep exist too, maybe with different specs though.

I found that with the help of your pic :

https://www.sgshop.com/taobao/tao-bao/details?tbid=562324217482&cid=50468001&sptitle=Aidophedo新品复古大月相进口机芯全自动机械腕表+休闲镂空手表男

After some research it appears that this is the company responsible for this homage : http://www.leternity.com/

black263
On 12/08/2018 at 18:30, emsacl said:

I have been looking for an Arnold & Sons Moonphase for a while, but have not found any on any of the TD website.  Now on DHGate, this is being offered https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/new-42mm-arnold-son-hm-perpetual-moon-a1glari01ac122a/411535503.html Does anyone have any insight here?  Are these any good, and if so, why don't the TD's have them on their sites?

When you look further down the link, the following appears.  

• Product Name:

New 42mm Arnold&Son HM Perpetual Moon A1GLARI01AC122A Rose Gold White Dial Mechanical Hand Winding Mens Watch Black Leather Strap UK Brand

• Item Code:411535503
  • Category:Wristwatches
  • Short Description:

Here at PureTime we have been within the replica watch industry since 2004, 

Now if that is the real Pure Time, they are trusted dealers next door, but as we know, there are several fake sites purporting to be Pure Time.  I suggest you join RWI, and then email the genuine one, using the address in their TD list, and ask if this is really them, and if so, is it a real Moonphase.

Glaude
5 minutes ago, black263 said:

When you look further down the link, the following appears.  

Now if that is the real Pure Time, they are trusted dealers next door, but as we know, there are several fake sites purporting to be Pure Time.  I suggest you join RWI, and then email the genuine one, using the address in their TD list, and ask if this is really them, and if so, is it a real Moonphase.

I think this is a copy cat that uses DHGate and the Puretime name to increase his visibility, I recall reading this somewhere

black263
10 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I think this is a copy cat that uses DHGate and the Puretime name to increase his visibility, I recall reading this somewhere

Pure Time on RWI don't list an Arnold moonphase on their website. 

But when you scroll right down on the DHGate link,  they have pictures of their "own factory"  First dealers to have in-house manufacturing?:maggiesuck:

MrZoSo
Cs1422

steer clear of low quality moonphases as stated above. You'll more than likely get an AM/PM

Glaude
Xpletiv

I thought they did Rep this, but that they made the moon with glasses and a smile?

Or was that some other thing that they factories f'd up?

ffuhcu

The two variants on OPs link seem to be silver and gold, with the silver showing a crescent moon drawn on the dial (giveaway that its just an AM/PM indicator) while the gold shows a single round object (could indicate true moonphase, but its the same price as the AM/PM silver one, so most likely just the sun). 

There's also a customer review now with photo of the gold that also appears to show a crescent moon shape drawn on the dial, so again, looks like AM/PM.

(I appreciate this conclusions seems to have already been reached above)

Edited by ffuhcu

VMSG

So... Anyone ordered that watch? :-)

VMSG

This is a great watch so i had to ask the seller. he claims that the movement is " 2553A Mechanical Hand Winding Movement" - make sense? 

Glaude
1 hour ago, VMSG said:

This is a great watch so i had to ask the seller. he claims that the movement is " 2553A Mechanical Hand Winding Movement" - make sense? 

Never heard or read about it, but why not

greg_r

note that the DHGate Puretime is NOT the real puretime., so all bets are off with regard to accurate descriptions and reliability

VMSG
note that the DHGate Puretime is NOT the real puretime., so all bets are off with regard to accurate descriptions and reliability
Yeah I know, also this unknown movement seems suspicious...