fatarms

McGilli's Contest #3 - The prize watch arrived! Review inside

fatarms

So, I ended up winning the McGilli Contest #3 and received the watch yesterday.  My wife handed me the package when I got home from work with that “another watch?” look, with one eyebrow raised.

I retreated to the basement to open the package.  McGilli sent the watch in a reused Styrofoam package with Chinese markings on the outside, at first I was confused.  I hadn’t ordered another watch.  That I knew of.  But beer makes you do stupid things sometimes.  Like walking home from the bar in college in a thunderstorm with my best bud, and alternating eating every worm we found on the sidewalk until one of us puked.  But that’s a story for another time…

Watch was packaged nicely with bubble wrap and a couple of paper towels.  Pretty sure they weren’t used.  Inside was the quartz Cartier Tank Solo XL, black dial.  41mm x 31mm from my crude tape measuring ability.  I don’t have fancy calipers, I’d probably end up using those to pull stray nose hairs or something, so my wife won’t let me have them.  I’ve never owned a rectangular watch, never really had a hankering for one of these, but wanted to give it a try.  More on that later.

I removed two of the links and it fits like a glove now.  Well, not a glove.  It goes on the wrist.  I suck at this.  The bracelet is a little rattly (is that a word?) but the clasp is pretty sturdy and keeps the whole thing in place.  Brushed center links with polished outer edges.  Held together by pins that are pretty easy to remove and resize.  The crown has the signature blue caboch...cobocha... cocoabutt... polished glass rock thingy that adds a little flash.

The bezel is polished with a crystal that I can only surmise is a step above Tupperware.  I don’t have one of those pens, but sometimes use a water drop test or more commonly bang the crystal against one of my canine teeth.  Never said I was the sharpest spork in the drawer, but I’ve come to be able to tell sapphire from mineral with this method.  This one is definitely mineral something or another, feels more plastic than glass though. 

The hands were cut from blued metal, they have a silver colored outline to them where they were cut, so the bluing definitely happened pre-cut.  The black matte dial has slightly raised matte platinum colored indices on it.  Date wheel is a little skewed, the numbers are centered but lean to one side a bit.  Not a big worry, my nuts do the same thing.  The time can be difficult to read in some light due to the dark hands and dial.  But at the right angle, it's a beautiful contrast and a joy to look at.  Unlike my nuts.

I’ve had it running for about 16 hours now and the timekeeping is impeccable so far.  Being a quartz, I guess that’s to be expected.  Will be nice to throw this on without having to worry about setting the time or winding it.

I want to thank McGilli for the effort he put into the contest, to take the time to make this board a little more enjoyable (or maddening, I spent hours on this stupid board deciphering the code.  Thanks, butthole.)  I also want to thank him for the paper towels.  I have a two year old in potty training, they’ll definitely be put to good use cleaning pee out of the carpet in the near future.  I’m sure she’ll return the favor in about 25 years.

Jiit1gf.jpg?2

HBJXCzw.jpg?2

BE49ivx.jpg

XnmyqBG.jpg

H2ucNRu.jpg?2

9AvNwyn.jpg?2

EEvYI3I.jpg

BdUIgdN.jpg

uAbAb0t.jpg

F77n95I.jpg

Wj5i6PB.jpg

40UEQuF.jpg

GingerApple

Oh my god, you've put on McGilli's watch and you're talking/reviewing just like McGilli!!!!

The watch is cursed!!!!!!

Or blessed, depending on your POV.

GC

Very handsome watch, congratulations on winning!

Junior88

Fuckin brilliant, @fatarms

Enjoy the spoils of war (read McGillis' contests).

JohnCocktoastin

giphy.gif

Yay!  Nice review, Fatarms. And kudos to you for putting in the effort and solving McGilli's contest when most of us simply gave up.  Enjoy the swanky soirees you'll attend while wearing your prize proudly.  And that blue cabochon! It really sits well on your arm hairs. 

JohnCocktoastin

Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, Fatarms, but I've just realized I've never received my 2nd place prize from McGilli's 2nd contest, and I'm too lazy to create a new post or just PM somebody.   @Luxuracer, did you get your yours?  I don't recall seeing the review, but I'm away from the site every now and then and it's possible I missed it.  @McGilli, did you happen to get a tracking number?

fatarms
6 minutes ago, JohnCocktoastin said:

And that blue cabochon! It really sits well on your arm hairs. 

Cabo-what now?

NCRich

That is definitely a watch.  Enjoy.

CollieWobbles

(I spent hours on this stupid board deciphering the code.)

Fair play @fatarms you put in the graft and got the spoils enjoy.

GenTLe

Nice enjoyable review :D

Now tell us about the worms...

Replica01

I didn't miss the side by side comparison pics of the watch and your nuts

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Mr Stubbs

Great review and congrats!  It looks like the perfect watch to wear while playing hockey.  :D

McGilli
On 14/08/2018 at 10:21, fatarms said:

I spent hours on this stupid board deciphering the code.  Thanks, butthole.

Well done~! But you think that is bad? I had to create the thing!!!! And that was like 40 or 50 photos I had to arrange.... Still, was worth it. So again, well done, glad you got it!

On 14/08/2018 at 11:47, JohnCocktoastin said:

Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, Fatarms, but I've just realized I've never received my 2nd place prize from McGilli's 2nd contest, and I'm too lazy to create a new post or just PM somebody.   @Luxuracer, did you get your yours?  I don't recall seeing the review, but I'm away from the site every now and then and it's possible I missed it.  @McGilli, did you happen to get a tracking number?

That was pretty good. First I was like.... Hold on I saw your review....

But then I see what you did there.

There never was a Contest #2 ;)