joeshmoe

Newbie Looking for Thin Dress Options (Saxonia & Patrimony)

joeshmoe

Hi Everyone, 

First, it's worth mentioning that I'm very excited to have joined this community. I've dived into this world as quickly as I can and it's been sort of a mind blowing experience, I find that I'm already completely addicted and am spending way too much time on here pouring over threads and watches. 

I'm looking for some insight & input on thin dress watch reps. As of right now, my top choice is the Saxonia Thin, it checks a lot of boxes and I'm not too concerned with it being thicker than the gen. I've also looked at the Vacheron Constantine, but the Saxonia is a little more elegant and ever so slightly thinner. Are there any other automatic or manual reps that I should be looking at in this style that are extremely high quality (I read in a stickied thread that the Miyota 9015 is a very reliable automatic movement)?

Thanks in advance!

-J

Edited by joeshmoe

ruddz

Always been a fan of Jaeger Lecoultre and the master ultra thin line is in my opinion quite tempting for a nice dress watch

joeshmoe
16 minutes ago, ruddz said:

Always been a fan of Jaeger Lecoultre and the master ultra thin line is in my opinion quite tempting for a nice dress watch

It's a beautiful one, I prefer the clean face without arabic numerals. Do you know if there are any white face versions or any versions without numerals? All I found was this: Master Ultra Thin

semperfi55
6 hours ago, joeshmoe said:

my top choice is the Saxonia Thin,

As Lange fanboy I'm probably biased but you're on the right track with a Saxonia Thin! Otherwise there's always the Calatrava.

BadApple

Whatever you choose make sure you buy one off the Trusted Dealers listed on here. 

I notice your links to the sites in your OP are not with TD's on here - you leave yourself wide open to getting ripped off if you purchase elsewhere. 

Testomatic

The ZF JLC ultra thin is a beautiful piece - check out a video here

https://vimeo.com/280957860/0c95fa64f0

Glaude

Take also a look at some Glashütte watch, they are kind of dressy ;)

joeshmoe
3 hours ago, BADAPPLE said:

Whatever you choose make sure you buy one off the Trusted Dealers listed on here. 

I notice your links to the sites in your OP are not with TD's on here - you leave yourself wide open to getting ripped off if you purchase elsewhere. 

Thank you for the concern! Yes, this is just because I'm finding the right reference photos/specs. I plan on going with the Fat Panda for this one

4 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

As Lange fanboy I'm probably biased but you're on the right track with a Saxonia Thin! Otherwise there's always the Calatrava.

I haven't found a Calatrava that's blown me away, but maybe I need to keep searching. If you have any links or leads let me know!

51 minutes ago, 0ysterboy said:

I can't get that link to work, do you have another? 

joeshmoe
2 hours ago, Testomatic said:

I have that watch bookmarked, but I haven't found it in YG or RG yet. Also wasn't sure about the thickness, I'm hoping to find something =<10mm

RussP

+1 for the Calatrava.

So many variations for you to choose from.

If you can't decide on just one, get 2.

At last count I believe I had 4.

Welcome aboard.

joeshmoe
2 hours ago, Testomatic said:

Oh no, now I see how this can become an expensive addiction :D

joeshmoe

Thanks everyone for the feedback, seems like I need to get one of each of the following (just a note: links are not all from TDs, I wouldn't buy from here necessarily): 

- Saxonia Thin - the most minimalist of the bunch and probably the most elegant

- JLC Ultra Thin - just jaw dropping and impressively thin for a moon phase rep

- Calatrava 5227 - Classic

- VC Patrimony - I LOVE the look of this watch, definitely one I want for special occasions

- Loglines MC - because it's beautiful

- Breguet 4344 - probably my favorite moon phase, so clean looking even with a crowded dial

- Breguet 5177 - If they made this without arabic or roman numerals (is there a name/description for that?) it would probably be at the top of my list, even still I'll need to get one eventually

- IWC Portuguese - classic and beautiful 

Edited by joeshmoe

RussP

You poor unfortunate fellow.

At this rate, you'll be poor like most of us in next to no time.

joeshmoe
6 minutes ago, RussP said:

You poor unfortunate fellow.

At this rate, you'll be poor like most of us in next to no time.

It's too late, I just need to accept that this is my future. Fortunately one of the threads for noobs said to never order more than two watches at a time and wait for them to be delivered so at least I will be hemorrhaging money at a controlled burn. 

Do you have any input on best ASL factory or TD? 

semperfi55
9 minutes ago, joeshmoe said:

Do you have any input on best ASL factory or TD? 

There are very few Lange reps going around these days. Unlike Rolex or Panerai reps, you won't see a debate of BP vs Noob vs PF. Mary or Tim(watchfinder/fat panda) should be able to source a Saxonia Thin :)

I personally haven't got round to buying a Saxonia Thin after buying my Saxonia Moonphase. Beautiful watch as well, just very thick!

Nice bit of research you've done up there. I got a Breguet 5177 from Mary too. It's a great watch!

joeshmoe
6 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

There are very few Lange reps going around these days. Unlike Rolex or Panerai reps, you won't see a debate of BP vs Noob vs PF. Mary or Tim(watchfinder/fat panda) should be able to source a Saxonia Thin :)

I personally haven't got round to buying a Saxonia Thin after buying my Saxonia Moonphase. Beautiful watch as well, just very thick!

Nice bit of research you've done up there. I got a Breguet 5177 from Mary too. It's a great watch!

I was planning to go with Tim for this one, so that's good to hear. 

oh man, the Breguet 5177 is beautiful, definitely in my top 3

Xpletiv

Oooo, we need more of this^ guy around here! 

Welcome to debt collection! 

blueoysterboy
2 hours ago, joeshmoe said:

Thank you for the concern! Yes, this is just because I'm finding the right reference photos/specs. I plan on going with the Fat Panda for this one

I haven't found a Calatrava that's blown me away, but maybe I need to keep searching. If you have any links or leads let me know!

I can't get that link to work, do you have another? 

Go to www.marywatch.net and do some exploring.  The Jaeger LeCoultre Master series is a good place to start.  I'd take a look at the Patek Phillipe's too.

joeshmoe
9 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

Oooo, we need more of this^ guy around here! 

Welcome to debt collection! 

thank you kindly! 

Glaude
7 hours ago, joeshmoe said:

thank you kindly! 

Ignoring my suggestion ? I see how it is, we are now mortal enemies... :D

FoxWilde

ASL reps seem a little on the thicker side comparing to gen. And of course the caseback will show a movement not  as lavish as the gen as well. If these don't bother you, you cannot go wrong with the Saxonia!

My personal choice of a grail dress watch is a Calatrava, which I don't own (yet). I currently have no gold watches in my collection. despite this I wear my Nautilus 5711 or my aquanaut 5167 with my suits (they're the thinnest pieces in my collection).

joeshmoe
5 hours ago, Glaude said:

Ignoring my suggestion ? I see how it is, we are now mortal enemies... :D

I always figured I'd meet my nemesis on a watch forum! I took a look at a few Gashüttes, but nothing stood out, anything in particular you like from them? 

joeshmoe
5 hours ago, FoxWilde said:

ASL reps seem a little on the thicker side comparing to gen. And of course the caseback will show a movement not  as lavish as the gen as well. If these don't bother you, you cannot go wrong with the Saxonia!

My personal choice of a grail dress watch is a Calatrava, which I don't own (yet). I currently have no gold watches in my collection. despite this I wear my Nautilus 5711 or my aquanaut 5167 with my suits (they're the thinnest pieces in my collection).

Thanks for the input, I'm pretty set as Saxonia as my first watch, then I'll probably slowly add the rest (and by slowly I mean as fast as possible). 

I took a look at the Nautilus and Aquanut, I have a pretty small wrist and I think those would wear on the larger side for me. 

FoxWilde
7 minutes ago, joeshmoe said:

Thanks for the input, I'm pretty set as Saxonia as my first watch, then I'll probably slowly add the rest (and by slowly I mean as fast as possible). 

I took a look at the Nautilus and Aquanut, I have a pretty small wrist and I think those would wear on the larger side for me. 

With a 40mm dial, They’re quite comfortable on my 7.5 inch wrist. But the Nautilus seems like it’s just BUILT to be worn with a suit. Definitely the most classy sport watch in my humble opinion. 

Good luck with your first purchase! I EXPECT PICS!! :)