Exotic_Collector

Trusty Time Planet Ocean Chrono

Exotic_Collector

I just got my first watch [edit: I mean from Trusty Time] ; the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph (ref 215.33.46.51.01.001) for $418 plus $35 shipping.  I decided to try Trusty Time after reading several positive reviews and spending a lot of time on their site.  I have been really happy with their service!   The admin (Andrew) replied immediately and was super helpful with QC and test pics, shipping, and all my questions.  It took 3 days to get QC pictures in email and then the watch was at my door 2 days later?!?  The Planet Ocean is amazing.  The 9900 display case back is beautiful.  The 12 hour marker is a tiny bit off center but it is barley noticeable so I let it go.  The hands are spot on index and it keeps great time.  The tags say it is the OM Factory.  The white 3:00 sub-dial hour hand works perfectly but the orange (top) 3:00 sub-dial minute hand is non-functional.  Is that to be expected?  It is not clear on the site if both the hour and minute hands on the 3:00 sub-dial are supposed to work.  I have read elsewhere that the OM Factory sub-dial has a faux minute hand.  I am guessing it is since it's an Asian 7750 movement clone and my other 7750 watches do not have dual hands at 3:00.

Edited by Exotic_Collector

BadApple

PICTURES !!!!

Exotic_Collector

Zal0a.png

ZaNAy.png

ZaFlG.png

Exotic_Collector

I think I figured it out. 

Also, I talked to Trusty Time about the 3:00 sub-dial minute hand being non-functional or not.  The admin at Trusty Time said that the minute hand sub-dial does actually move but it does NOT function the same as the original.  In reality I am finding that mine does not move.  I left the chrono running all night and the 3:00 sub-dial minute hand is still at the 12 o'clock position.  The same sub-dial hour hand does move perfectly and keeps perfect time.   I am okay with all of this.  Overall it looks great and works great.  So far, knocking on wood, I am really happy with it.

RepGuy
9 minutes ago, Exotic_Collector said:

I think I figured it out. 

You got it. Great looking watch.

Glaude

Hi and welcome !

1 hour ago, Exotic_Collector said:

I left the chrono running all night and the 3:00 sub-dial minute hand is still at the 12 o'clock position. 

Ouch, you left the chrono running all night... that's not really advised for a A7750 movement.

That's great it is still working, but I would advise not to do it again.

You should do some reading about this movement :

Exotic_Collector

Thanks for the head's up about running the 7750 chrono.  Sounds like I have been making a noob mistake for a long time.   I have been doing this for a long time with my other 7750 based watches.  In fact, I have been running the chrono 24x7 for several months on my Invicta Speedway Reserve 10935.  So far that has been  without problems but I guess I am rolling the dice by doing this so much.

Exotic_Collector

Here's my only other rep.  The DSSD.  The strap is from Etsy ($47, Rubber B branded).

ZrUVL.png

Sigg

Two great looking watches mate. Haven’t seen a DSSD on that strap, really suits it, cheers.

GenTLe
Here's my only other rep.  The DSSD.  The strap is from Etsy ($47, Rubber B branded).
ZrUVL.png
You know that on DHGATE you could get a Rubber B branded Rolex for less, right?

Exotic_Collector
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

You know that on DHGATE you could get a Rubber B branded Rolex for less, right?

I did not know that, thanks!  Do you have a link a search term?  Searching their site I don't see any that are Rlx/Rubber B branded?

GenTLe
I did not know that, thanks!  Do you have a link a search term?  Searching their site I don't see any that are Rlx/Rubber B branded?

Search with "rubber strap". First of many I have found:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/aaa-rose-gold-clasp-coysa-brand-black-rubber/406191473.html?invitorid=7J7ZJn0d

More colours:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/aaa-quality-camouflage-strap-fit-for-rolex/407315070.html?invitorid=7J7ZJn0d

Even more:

Open my favorite app! Don't wait to get https://www.dhgate.com/product/coysa-brand-rubber-strap-for-rolex-sub-20mm/404380573.html?invitorid=7J7ZJn0d

They can't show the logo on the main pics, but look at the feedbacks...

GenTLe
Yes but those have an AP-like no logo buckle, differently from the others.

Exotic_Collector

I just ordered my second Trusty Time rep!  I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Breitling  Avenger Bandit Chronograph (GF Factory V2, $398 plus $35 shipping) with the titanium case, titanium deployment buckle, and ballistic nylon strap.   I'm hoping this completes my collection of what I think are the three greatest brands in big Swiss diver/aviator automatics (Rolex, Omega, and Breitling).  I spent a lot of time looking at several Superocean, Transocean, Chronoliner, Blackbird, Colt and Navitimer models.  The all titanium kit, thick deployment strap, textured dials, raised numerals and logo, large 45mm case size, recessed sub-dials, and easy-to-read large white hands against a black dial really sold me.   I wanted a display case back like the Omega and I spent a LOT of time looking at the Chronomat B-01 Blacksteel with square sub-dials--which does have a sexy black rotor display case back--but I don't like the bezel and I don't think the DLC coated stainless case and buckle would hold up against scratches and wear over time.  Plus I've always wanted a big titanium chrono.   

6s7Ze.md.png

added price

Exotic_Collector

I'm adding some more detailed photos of the OM Factory Planet Ocean, front and back at 2x zoom.

62kKD.png

62xYU.png

frolex

that brieting looks nice!

GenTLe

Nice, but an aviator collection is not complete without an IWC (they were providing military aviation watches since before WW2)!

FoxWilde
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Nice, but an aviator collection is not complete without an IWC (they were providing military aviation watches since before WW2)!

Big Pilots for life!!

Also great collection so far! Looks like you're falling down this rabbit hole fast!

Welcome

Exotic_Collector

I got the GF Factory V2 titanium Bandit chrono rep ($398) from Trusty Time dot biz!  It took 6 days from submit-to-door.  The dial and nylon/rubber strap are pretty much perfect reproductions.  I am super impressed with the precision of the dial, the crisp lettering, and the bold raised numerals.  I think the dial logo could use a little more detail or depth.  There are a few places you can tell it apart if you look closely like the depth of the engraving on the case back, the depth of the waffle pattern  on the crown and pushers, or the depth of the bezel engravings.  I imagine titanium is harder to work than stainless steel.  Overall the watch is incredibly solid and well made.  The pusher action is very positive, crown is completely satisfying, and overall build is rugged.  It is a good bit lighter than it looks too.  The bezel rotates smoothly with just the right amount of feedback and resistance.  And there is even a little cursive 'B' engraved on the side of bezel left of the 12:00 position.

Sizing these heavy rubber straps is an unpleasant affair with a new watch.  Taking an Xacto blade to the strap of a watch you've waited a week for, and have held for maybe 5 minutes, and changing it forever is unnerving.  I got it done well but I was extremely nervous.  Basically I followed this pictorial guide.  It is not all that hard once you get started and figure out where the spring bars are inside the big titanium clasp.  You have to wonder how many people ruin their new Breitling watches trying to size them the first time. 

Anyway, I have only one issue with the GF Factory V2 piece.  I had a problem when I was opening the strap to size it.  The small end of the clasp separated as soon as I began removing the spring bar.  The small end of the clasp is made of 2 pieces; an outer case and an an inner connector (foreground of the second picture below).   These 2 pieces came apart.  At first I thought they were supposed to separate but looking closer I could see they were originally glued or chemically welded.  I was able to put it back together and added a drop super glue gel for good measure but I do not have a lot of confidence in it now.  I emailed Trusty Time with a picture and Andrew responded immediately.  He asked for more detail and then agreed to send a replacement part.

Here is the new Bandit.  She is big, bold, and very militant.  This rounds out my watch-list of big swiss automatics (Sea-dweller Deepsea, Seamaster Planet Ocean, and Avenger Bandit).  I'd like to stop here but . . . that sexy black and blue Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and IWC Portuguese Chrono are calling to me from the interwebs.  Can't you hear them? 

KxR6D.png

Kx0SU.png