ruddz

Tudor Black Bay go gen or rep ?

ruddz

Been thinking alot about the Tudor Black Bay and if I should go gen but the more I read I can´t see the point as I´ve read that the rep is insane.

I do like the rose dial more than the shield (just me), but I´ve read that the shield version is more accurate but the case is thicker ?

Can I get any input on this, both if I should just go for the rep instead of gen and also is the shield rep more accurate but has thicker case ? (don´t like to thick cases)

Genius

Rose dial is more accurate to the gen, looks nicer, comes on a much better bracelet too.  I have the rep of the black bay red it's too close to consider a gen and I have a couple of gen Tudors.. 

The reps are so cheap to pick a different model to get as gen, one that isn't so well repped, then buy pre-owned and then still buy the rep, will cost you less than the brand new gen for both and you'll have both! :D

ruddz
12 minutes ago, Genius said:

Rose dial is more accurate to the gen, looks nicer, comes on a much better bracelet too.  I have the rep of the black bay red it's too close to consider a gen and I have a couple of gen Tudors.. 

The reps are so cheap to pick a different model to get as gen, one that isn't so well repped, then buy pre-owned and then still buy the rep, will cost you less than the brand new gen for both and you'll have both! :D

Well said!

Does it matter what version I buy of rose dial ?

Think I´ve read there are 5 or 6 versions but I am guessing the later ones are better ?

GenTLe

There is only one and not lasting a lot as all the older are out of stock and the last one is out from a while and already on special prices on some TDs

BadApple

I've just offloaded my Submariners as everytime I wore one people just assumed it was fake.

I've topped up my collection with PAMs BUT I'm now moving into Tudor - they look Rolexish but people don't assume they are fake.

I've a Black Bay Bronze Blue rep which is just awesome and I've a RegBay inbound as my daily beater. I will add another Tudor as my next purchase.

I've a big 60 birthday looming and will be getting a gen as promised by my missus - my choice will be the Pelagos LHD - circa £3k but in my eyes blows Rolex out of the water.

As said above - get rep Tudors but if your'e getting a Gen keep away from your chosen Gen model. 

EBB

Black, blue, red. That's the order in rarity. I would snag one of the ETA versions asap. I own the blue ETA gen, absolutely love it and have no regrets. If you scout watchrecon or eBay, you may be able to pick up blue or red for $2200.  Over the past few months I've noticed the price rising. On a side note, I cant confirm this 100%, but I've heard that Tudor is recalling natos from the ETA versions from ADs.

BadPickle

Rep, rose version, I have blue and red, both exceptional watches. 

Gens are for quitters :thumbsup2:

BadApple
13 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

PM sent to Mary enquiring about Pelagos LHD....... twat.

BadPickle
9 minutes ago, BADAPPLE said:

PM sent to Mary enquiring about Pelagos LHD....... twat.

oh i've got a pelagos blue too  :lol: 

i'm not keen on the LHD, i tried one at the gtg, nice design if in RHD

EBB
32 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

The shield version is better though right? At least when comparing the dials, the shield version is better.

redmack

hi guys this is my ZF  asian 2824 version rose dial before they switched to the shield  dial and rivet bracelet, i absolutely love it, classy looking and simple, it came on a ss bracelet which is very good rep bracelet.

IMG_1238_1.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242_1.jpg

IMG_1245_2.jpg

IMG_1247_1.jpg

gman1993

@redmack that leather bracelet with that clasp is badass!

BadPickle
30 minutes ago, EBB said:

The shield version is better though right? At least when comparing the dials, the shield version is better.

Better at what?  

redmack
33 minutes ago, gman1993 said:

@redmack that leather bracelet with that clasp is badass!

Thank you very much i love it , the strap is a Nero strap made by John G who is a trusted dealer on here in the strap section, is flicker page is awesome check him out he's a top lad.

Del

I probably shouldn’t answer but what the heck! :lol:

I bought the gen BB four years ago and haven’t regretted it for a second. ;) 

However, just in case you don’t want to take the best course of action, here’s my comparison of the gen with a V1 rep..... :giggle:

GingerApple
5 hours ago, GenTLe said:

There is only one and not lasting a lot as all the older are out of stock and the last one is out from a while and already on special prices on some TDs

I got one a few weeks ago from MrTimeZone. Ironically I requested the shield version, but when QC pics arrived, they were of the rose version (which I accepted anyway). And it's brand new, top notch etc - not a seconds/faulty one.

GingerApple
4 hours ago, redmack said:

IMG_1247_1.jpg

Amazing taste in watches mate - trés chic.

Your taste in ornamental birds however........

semperfi55
6 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

ornamental birds 

Lol I didn't even see the birds! Only registered the nice watch! 

I think... I think I should take some time away from watches now...

GingerApple
28 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Lol I didn't even see the birds! Only registered the nice watch! 

I think... I think I should take some time away from watches now...

I'm a forum mod at 'Orni-mental Effigies.Com' so I only see the bird statues.

Ornamental.

Ornithology.

'Ornimental'

Get it?

*Sigh..... If you have to explain the joke.......

RollyCR

I was in europe for the summer and totally wanted to buy a gen bucherer bronze. Love that watch and it's just not seen in the U.S. at all. Of course there's a one year wait list. Online it's a $2k premium Fuck that. The gen also supposedly can't be taken into the ocean because the sea water reacts to the aluminum bezel and bronze case in a bad way. So there's a genuine dive watch that I can't take in the ocean (wtf) that I can buy for a $2k premium over retail, or I can spend $300 and buy a better designed rep right now. Not a hard decision. This might be the one watch out there where the rep is actually a better watch than the gen, regardless of the price.

GenTLe
I got one a few weeks ago from MrTimeZone. Ironically I requested the shield version, but when QC pics arrived, they were of the rose version (which I accepted anyway). And it's brand new, top notch etc - not a seconds/faulty one.
I meant there is only one version mate :)
Typical noob error (from the guy I was replying) is to browse TD sites and seeing v1, v2, v3, from both V6F and ZF they think there are like 6 versions still available.
Which is not. I think only ZF V4 is still around.

BadApple
6 hours ago, RollyCR said:

I was in europe for the summer and totally wanted to buy a gen bucherer bronze. Love that watch and it's just not seen in the U.S. at all. Of course there's a one year wait list. Online it's a $2k premium Fuck that. The gen also supposedly can't be taken into the ocean because the sea water reacts to the aluminum bezel and bronze case in a bad way. So there's a genuine dive watch that I can't take in the ocean (wtf) that I can buy for a $2k premium over retail, or I can spend $300 and buy a better designed rep right now. Not a hard decision. This might be the one watch out there where the rep is actually a better watch than the gen, regardless of the price.

ssss.jpg

Mr_B

Rose dial is closer to Gen as the gen had the ETA. The Asian clone eta is pretty good, you could swap out for a Gen ETA to make the rep even better (not really needed IMO) the shield dial gen with rivet bracelet has its own new in house movement (not repped) so if you want closest to Gen - go ZF V4

rusky27

I had the same question a couple of years back when I came into some money. In the end I couldn’t justify it and bought the rep again. But this time I bought a gen bezel insert (red) and sourced a gen strap and deployant. Job done for 1/4 price itch was scratched.

Edited by rusky27

ruddz

Well I am sold!

Thanks guys, gonna try to find the rose rep! :D

Guess I am gonna put my gen money into Longines heritage diver or might go 1967