Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Astbury "Moonphase"

greg_r

Here's my latest acquisition from Astbury. I've seen this particular watch marketed under various manufacturer's names for anything up to £149 - I bought this on clearance from the Australian distributor, so I didn't pay anything like that (although I did get stung for import duty, which put the price up a bit - I usually get away with it, but you win some and you lose some).

The watch is 39.5mm and is driven by a 35-jewel auto movement of Asian origin. There are day, date and month subdials, all of which change automatically and there's also a 24 hour subdial with 'moonphase" (actually day/night) indicator.

The gold plating looks good and the watch comes on a typical high-gloss croco-print Astbury strap with gold buckle. Astbury's straps are quite inexpensive when bought separately but very nice quality being both comfortable and longer than average. The whole thing came packed in a particularly nice watch box which, if it was a rep box, would probably sell for more than I paid for the watch!

Like the last Astbury I bought, it certainly looks better than one has any right to expect from a budget gen - the pushers have a nice positive feel as does the crown. The watch started up after just a quick 'swirl' and continues to run well having worn it for a few hours with no manual winding at all.

I'm very impressed with the quality of Astbury watches in general - they're excellent value for money.

Here's a couple of pics - I'll try to take some more later when I have a bit more time:

box2.jpg

face2.jpg

sconehead

My daughter just said this looks old fashioned...but what does she know, looks o.k. to me. Are you planning to buy every model in the range Greg?

greg_r

I agree with your daughter - it does look rather old-fashioned. I think that's why I like it :thumbsup:

I'm planning to stop here - none of the other models really grab me. I wouldn't have bought this one at full price, but it makes a nice dress watch.

NFleischer

DSC00234.JPG

greg- here's that Hamilton Ti chrono i got for about $600. it lists for about $1400

greg_r

That's real nice, Noel - sounds like you got a helluva good deal too! Congrats!

jameo210369

She looks great Greg, enjoy her.

NFleischer love the Hamilton, she looks very bulky.

greg_r

Has yours arrived yet, Jimmy?

jameo210369

Got her on Thursday, I opened the box and checked her out; but nothing else since then. I'll give her some wrist time this week.

Sorry to here about the customs charge, I asked them to mark my package as a gift.

greg_r

PICS!!!! :)

NFleischer

thanx guys. i got it @ the watchery.com they have some great deals.

the mov't alone is worth the price.

oscarmadfish

i like it greg and i also like noels hamilton :)