Sign in to follow this  
GC

Rolex DSSD Bezel Mod

GC

So... for those of you who know me you know I don't fancy myself a tinkerer or mod'er of any sort. I like my Reps strait out of the box, I'll tend to wait till an Ultimate is released so I don't have to change this or that or that and this. Now don't get me wrong, for those that have the time and skill, more power to ya, it's just not for me.

Well, as some of you also know, I am the founder of the "Official DSSD Club" over on RWI. Funny because it's not really "Official", just something I came up with because my DSSD was my first Rep and I was so blown away by it I started a thread and made it sound important. Since the start of that thread, hundreds of people have posted pics & mods and, and, and about their DSSDs... I got me thinking, "Hey, I'm the founder and my DSSD is not up to par with some of the ones I see posted". Now don't get me wrong, I own an Ultimate, but at the time when I bought mine the "Ultimate" still had the incorrect 10 bezels (if you don't know what I mean, you will after the pics). So began a mission...

Mission: Upgrade my Ultimate DSSD with a correct 10 bezel! Easier said than done! Why, because there are correct 10 bezels and there are correct 10 bezels (what the hell am I talking about???). Well, although most people familiar with the issue always look at the 10 and the spacing of hash marks before and after the 10... it's not only the 10 and the spacing around it that make it correct and as close to Gen. You have to look at everything!!! Everything meaning, yes the 10 & spacing, but also the font & thickness of the numbers especially the 30 and the triangle where the pearl sits.

Here is a pic of a Gen...Now, look closely at the 10 & spacing, but also look at the 30 and the shape/font of the numbers and lastly look at the shape of the triangle where the pearl sits.

rolex-sea-dweller-deepsea-03.jpg

Now some comparison shots of my old bezel and the new bezel I sourced from Trevor (a trusted dealer on RWI). Top bezel is the new one, old bezel is underneath.

First the 10 & spacing... (New bezel has correct centered 10 between markers, old bezel has the slightly left tending un-centered 10 between the markers).

IMG_3213.jpg

Now the 30 (Notice the difference in font between the two. New bezel has a more block type font, the old has a more rounded font).

IMG_3210.jpg

Here is the Gen 30

deepsea2.jpg

And lastly the triangle (look at the shape of the triangle, the new bezel triangle is made up of strait lines where the old bezel triangle has a curved top to the triangle).

IMG_3205.jpg

Here is a pic of the Gen triangle & pearl

rolex_deepsea_bezel_pearl.jpg

Here are also a few pics just generally comparing the thickness of font between the new & old bezel. Pay no attention to the color difference between the two bezels, it's only a difference in lighting, both ceramic bezels are shinny black.

IMG_3208.jpg

&

IMG_3206.jpg

Of course, I can't forget to compare the pearls, and as you have seen in the previous pic, they are totally different. This is a heated topic for "pearl freaks"... I am not one of those freaks. The new bezel has IMO a better looking pearl (why, because it's white like the dial markers and can be ever so slightly drilled and epoxy covered to replicate the sapphire covered Gen pearl). The old pearl was not as white as the markers, it never bothered me but it was not as good as could have been.

IMG_3217.jpg

Here is a pic of what it looks like when a novice like me gets fed up with trying to remove the old bezel (the damn thing didn't wanna come off) and decides to hell with it and just breaks the old one to put in the new one :)

IMG_3194.jpg

Well, my mission was accomplished! My DSSD is now a true Ultimate with a correct 10 bezel, here is the final result, I think it's perfect!

IMG_32231-1.jpg

thanks for letting me share!

KeNnY

yay ! :) nice GC ! :rofl:

WebWind

Very nice work GC. Congtrats!

bravo.gif

powderfreak

very good job!

GC
yay ! ;) nice GC ! :)

Somehow I knew you would like this topic Kenny :beer2:

So, as you can see the insert I sourced from Trevor (except for the pearl, which has to be mod'd to be closer to Gen) is probably the closest to Gen that can be found. Font thickness, font shape & triangle shape are all very very good if just short of perfect. Considering it cost $35 (bezel) + $12 (shipping) + $2 (paypal fee) = $49, i think it was worth the improvement it makes to the overall look and Gen-ness of the watch.

kan3

Nice.

KeNnY
yay ! ;) nice GC ! :)

Somehow I knew you would like this topic Kenny :)

So, as you can see the insert I sourced from Trevor (except for the pearl, which has to be mod'd to be closer to Gen) is probably the closest to Gen that can be found. Font thickness, font shape & triangle shape are all very very good if just short of perfect. Considering it cost $35 (bezel) + $12 (shipping) + $2 (paypal fee) = $49, i think it was worth the improvement it makes to the overall look and Gen-ness of the watch.

hehe I better watch out for you, you getting to know my taste lol :beer2:

I was thinking of buying some enamel silver paint and mix it with white enamel paint, or get some sparkling silver dust and mix it with white enamel paint, to get the gen sparkling effect. There was once one link with the picture but I am unable to find it again.

ryansceramiclunette.jpg

Del

Well done GC! :clap:

Great comparisons of old and new bezel, and the gen. :thumbsup2:

Ska

Fucking Ace bro!!!!!

Awesome work!!

GC
Fucking Ace bro!!!!!

Awesome work!!

Not bad huh? :Shocked:

Just for comparison, and in no way to down play BK\'s DSSD with correct 10 bezel (which goes for $420). Although you get the correct 10 (i.e. it\'s centered in between the markers), you still get the incorrect 30 (i.e. the font is the rounded type) and you also get the incorrect triangle shape (i.e. the top line is curved not strait)...

IMG_7386.jpg

now compare that to my Ultimate with Trevor\'s correct 10 bezel... let\'s just say I think mine comes closer to the Gen bezel :sofa:

mine:

IMG_32411.jpg

Gen:

rolex-sea-dweller-deepsea-03.jpg

Ska

Definitely!!

I'm on this - totally happening.

GC that looks fucking stunning!!!!

Ted2707

Just realised that my pearl is missing from my perfect 10 bezel were could I get a new one

Thanks

Acbuyer

Is there one made for sub c. 116610ln? where could I order one? and could I order one with a mod pearl ? since my sub c the fonts don't look too great also

Dssd

Beautiful I looovvvvveee my dssd new bezel on way :):):)

SteveA

I know this is an old post but where can I get a new bezel ?

rustiq

Thinking about similar upgrade myself.

Seems there is no way for a noob to remove the bezel, so how exactly did you break the old one off?

if I break the old ceramic insert on removal will the new one just snap in place with the bezel still on the watch?

stewy014

Looks good