Max5

Noob Explorer II - 2 pics added

Max5

Hey all.  Wanted to just post a kind word for Andrew at TrustyTime dot biz.  I purchased the white-faced Noob Explorer II from him.  Few items to note - He was very responsive and answered my questions within a few hours of my emails to him. I received pictures of the watch on a Thursday.  Approved them the same day and the watch shipped on a Friday.  I had it on Monday...so 3 days shipping.  I won't detail shipping cost, but it seemed very reasonable to me. I was not expecting to get the watch that quickly.

As far as the watch itself, I purchased it because I am a few years away from turning 50 and plan on purchasing a genuine Explorer II to celebrate a half century of breathing.  Before blowing a bunch of $$$ on a watch I wasn't sure would fit my wrist very well, I thought I'd give a high-quality replica a try.  I specifically wanted to see how wearing the watch for weeks/months at a time felt.  

For reference, I do have numerous gen Omegas and a single Datejust...so I'm familiar with build quality with the real things.  The 'rep' is my first and only 'high-end' rep.  I have to say I am pretty stunned at the accuracy here. Comparing to close-up pics/YouTube vids/etc etc of the real thing, it's astonishingly close.  Face - 10/10. Bezel - 9.5/10. Case - 10/10. Crown - 9.5/10. Bracelet - 9.5/10. Lume - 7/10. Date/Date Window/Cyclops - 9.5/10. The serial number thing doesn't match, but I expected that. Clasp is nice quality wise but essentially wrong for the watch, so 5/10. I read that the movement in this particular watch can be sketchy, but so far I'm lucky.  Really lucky, actually because it's keeping insanely accurate time.  I last set the watch on Aug 22nd. Last week- what, five days or so ago. Not touched it since and it's lost FOUR seconds.  I mean, none of my gen watches....some recently serviced...can claim that.  So we'll see how long it lasts.  As advertised, setting the GMT and hour hand are accurate to the real thing. 

Hopefully that's helpful to someone.  Now wearing this watch daily and my wife thinks highly of how it looks on my wrist.  I'll be most definitely purchasing the gen version here in the future, but I think this one will tide me over in the meantime.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Max5
I can't type.

SwagimusPrime

Thank you for the info! I have been curious as to a reputable dealer of noob watches.

duddlyboy
23 hours ago, SwagimusPrime said:

Thank you for the info! I have been curious as to a reputable dealer of noob watches.

There's a big tab at the top of the page chap 'TRUSTED DEALERS '.

Max5

WwAZA.md.jpg WwmxT.md.jpg

Couple pics for those interested.

steveg9

Nice !  I have the black faced version also from Andrew at TTime and love it - enjoy wearing it !

Max5

I wanted to add to this review having worn the watch my entire 3 week vacation to Europe in Sept/early Oct. 

During the trip, my wife and I visited numerous Omega and Rolex dealers.  At two of the Rolex dealers, I was able to handle the real-deal version of my white-faced rep.  (The first time to handle the real version for me).  Honestly...I was very surprised at the accuracy and feel of the rep vs gen.  The Noob rep is pretty remarkable at how close they got it. I'd say the only thing that isn't just spot-on would be the bracelet of the rep.  The gen version just feels a bit better and more solid.  The links on the gen actually move easier than the rep. 

The watch kept near perfect time during the trip and I used and adjusted the GMT hand on it numerous times with no issues.  It also took a couple unfortunate smacks against doors and those have not effected the accuracy at all.  Very happy with the purchase.

0x9

May I ask which version you went for? The CHS or the ICHS? Im also thinking for purchasing a white face exp, but im not quite sure on the movement yet. Preferably it will be the CHS, as the common opinion is that its kind of reliable.

Max5

I'm not familiar with the ICHS.  Based on the dealer's description currently on the his website, I have the CHS movement. 

McGilli
On 27/08/2018 at 19:03, Max5 said:

I'll be most definitely purchasing the gen version here in the future, but I think this one will tide me over in the meantime.

Great write-up.

I hope you're able to get the time to come back and post a comparison once you have the genuine in hand.

I want to ask you a question - and everyone is different so there's no wrong answer.

Now that you have that rep - is the genuine worth it to you still- or - would you be more inclined to buy a genuine of a different watch instead and consider that rep is 'good enough'...?

Max5
On 16/10/2018 at 19:10, McGilli said:

Great write-up.

I hope you're able to get the time to come back and post a comparison once you have the genuine in hand.

I want to ask you a question - and everyone is different so there's no wrong answer.

Now that you have that rep - is the genuine worth it to you still- or - would you be more inclined to buy a genuine of a different watch instead and consider that rep is 'good enough'...?

Thanks and a very good question to be honest.

I very much plan to purchase the Gen version in the near future...but that said...I am truly shocked at how close the rep is vs the gens I handled at the official dealers. (Two dealers and two gen watches).  I'll put it this way...unless you gave me a minute to look at a couple specific (known) differences between the rep and the gen, just handing me either watch, I would never know.  They are that close.  Yes, there are issues with the rep...but wow...I have to say that just looking/feeling it on the wrist...the rep is stunningly close. Feel. Weight. Face. Bracelet. Case. Crown. Just wow...way closer than I expected and to your point...made me think...hummm....

Aside...keep in mind that most gens of this level are proper investments. And by that I mean, your risk of losing $$$ on them is pretty slim. So yeah...you spend a butt-load of $$$ for a watch, but a few years later, if you decide to sell, guess what...you get your $$$ back.  So it's kinda a free watch if you have the $$$ to buy it up front.  As awesome as this rep is...it's worth $0.00 if I want to sell.  Zip.  Money flushed.

So I do plan to buy the gen version...but this rep is way better than I expected it to be.  WAY better.  Enough to make me want to buy a few more just for the grins of it. Is that right? Not sure...but I'll probably do it once or twice more.  And for the record, anytime anyone asks me about my 'new' fancy watch...I immediately tell them its a rep.  I don't play the make-believe game.  It is what it is...but it's not a gen. Is the real thing worth the extra $$$ to not have to say that?  Yeah...honestly I think it is. But that's just me. 

Mike R

Good answer, kinda feel the same way. Enjoy my reps, looovvvveee my Gens !

Max5

Another update to the ownership of this watch.

Several months on as a daily wearer and the watch is running great and keeping excellent time.  No worries there.  Honestly still pleasantly surprised at how good it is every time I look at it...which is a lot!

What has not held up as well is the SS bracelet it came with.  While very attractive and very accurate in appearance, it has begun to loose it's screws quite often...something that has never happened in my Gen Rolex's...or any other of my Gen watches.  Most unfortunate is one of the more critical bolts is stripped. It's a specific bolt next to the locking clasp that isn't the same size at the link bolts. I'm not sure if it's the bolt or link with the problem, but  I think it just came that way is my guess.  Just took a while to show it's issues.

Oh well. I've ordered a replacement silicon band and also purchased some Lock-tite for the original metal bracelet to see if that holds the bolts in.

If anyone has any recommendations on a good replacement bracelet that isn't going to fall apart I'm all ears.

lok214

man makes me want to get one as well, I have a gen 1 myself

Max5

Hey...couple things. 

#1 - Good or bad, after using the Locktite, the original bracelet has been spectacular.  No issues and very smooth and loose...extremely close to Gen.

#2 - The silicon band didn't work out because of the weight of the watch vs band...which wasn't a match. A watch with this weight needs a band with some beef.  So I'm still on the lookout.

Lastly...side note...the watch itself is still a daily wearer for me and running and keeping time like a champ. It's gaining *exactly* 6.2 second per day on my wrist...which is pretty good.  This is after several measurements...so I'm sure of the rate. I'm going to do a regulation on the time and see if I can improve upon it slightly.  Hopefully not make it worse. 

Edited by Max5

fatarms

I clicked on this thread and read the previous posts.  I was about to suggest Locktite, but see that you have found that on your own.  Glad you're happy with it and have found the solution, shows that you will do well in this hobby.  Wear that watch in the best of health! :Applause: