Coax

Sensibly priced Gen classics - What would RWG experts choose?

Coax

Recently been exposed via RWG to some classic gen Seiko diver's watches that appear to be selling for sensible money on eBay and elsewhere  (sensible money for a watch for me is between £150 & £350.) It has opened my eyes to the possibilities of buying good gen watches for roughly the same money as super rep's of super expensive Rolex's etc.

What classic genuine watches would folks recommend that I take a look at with this kind of a budget -  I'm interested in building a gen collection alongside my rep collection  comprising the following watch types. 

1) A classic dive watch  - Seiko maybe?  Something to wear casually with jeans and on holiday.

2) A decent classic chrono ( I love the classic Speedmaster Moonwatch) but prices are crazy even for the Reduced automatic. - Cross over - for formal and casual social occasions.

3) A  classic understated watch - Omega Seamaster Aquaterra -  Something that oozes quality  and style.

I'm all about quality and classic timeless (no pun intended)  looks. In all cases i prefer not to go above a 42mm watch size - prefer nearer to 40mm.

What's out there in gen land that's been mostly forgotten or overlooked, suggestions welcome, if you have something for sale please feel free to PM me if you think it fits the bill.

Cheers

Coax

greg_r

Lots of nice stuff out there for not too much money. I bought this recently. Currently looking for a vintage Omega, Longines or the like..

IMG_0144.jpeg

joeshmoe
15 minutes ago, greg_r said:

Lots of nice stuff out there for not too much money. I bought this recently. Currently looking for a vintage Omega, Longines or the like..

IMG_0144.jpeg

mind if I ask how much you paid for that? 

Coax

Nice watch - Ticks the 3rd category box nicely - 3) A  classic understated watch - Omega Seamaster Aquaterra -  Something that oozes quality  and style.

It looks french and I have to say that I'm completely unfamiliar with the maker - who is it?

J!m

Not French; German...

greg_r
56 minutes ago, Coax said:

Nice watch - Ticks the 3rd category box nicely - 3) A  classic understated watch - Omega Seamaster Aquaterra -  Something that oozes quality  and style.

It looks french and I have to say that I'm completely unfamiliar with the maker - who is it?

Glashutte. High-end German watch manufacturer - Google is your friend ;) This is the model that inspired the current Senator Sixties (which is repped, btw - the gen costs arounf £6k). I paid less than the cost of the rep for this 50+ year old gen ;)

Moondustesp
1 hour ago, greg_r said:

IMG_0144.jpeg

That’s stunning Greg 

SamsonAusKognito
3 hours ago, greg_r said:

IMG_0144.jpeg

Great purchase! I love Glashütte watches. 

Especially the model made in GDR. (former Soviet zone of Germany) 

SamsonAusKognito

One of my latest Gen purchases was a Maurice Lacroix Aikon (about 1.3k€ with leather strap) 

but there are older quartz models that go for much less and could be find in your price range.

Waspy

Have you considered Russian watches?

1.  A classic dive watch

Vostok Amphibian Classic 120813  $76

QyCt3.jpg

2.  A decent classic chrono

Poljot 3133 Chronograph CIVIL 465 euros

QyR9b.jpg

3.  A  classic understated watch 

Vostok Classica 693B20  $170

QyM62.jpg

RussP
4 hours ago, Waspy said:

Have you considered Russian watches?

1.  A classic dive watch

Vostok Amphibian Classic 120813  $76

QyCt3.jpg

2.  A decent classic chrono

Poljot 3133 Chronograph CIVIL 465 euros

QyR9b.jpg

3.  A  classic understated watch 

Vostok Classica 693B20  $170

QyM62.jpg

The third watch looks like a Russian Glashutte.

Waspy
9 hours ago, RussP said:

The third watch looks like a Russian Glashutte.

Yes it does. They are a nice re-issue and come in various colours.

QRgQD.md.jpg

QRwus.md.jpg

QRG2p.md.jpg

QRlFh.jpg

I just wish they had made them a little smaller, they are 39mm and I like this style of watch a little smaller. This Sekonda of mine (for example) is 35mm.

QRxXX.jpg

RussP

I like smaller watches too.

Mostly under 40mm.

36mm is my preferred diameter.

Thanks for the additional pictures.

black263

Anything under 40mm would be moved immediately into Clare's box.  (Carry on, you filthy minded gits)

RussP

I'd like to see a picture of Clare's box, now that you brought it up.

Here's an old(er) picture of mine:

36839713653_c5fe7028f7_b.jpg

black263
11 minutes ago, RussP said:

I'd like to see a picture of Clare's box, now that you brought it up.

Here's an old(er) picture of mine:

36839713653_c5fe7028f7_b.jpg

Clare's box isn't that big.  She can't fit more than 12 in.

Waspy
4 minutes ago, black263 said:

Clare's box isn't that big.  She can't fit in more than 12.

Qn5PU.jpg

jdinaz

I used to have a vintage Omega, I paid less than $500 USD. Hard to beat that one.

I cannot think of anything other than Seiko for a dive watch. Maybe citizen has a classic one. I bought a pro master to fill the watch void while my watch was in for repairs, it's a pretty good watch. Bezel and Crystal have scratches. Otherwise a good watch for a rubber strap and door the price.