Jaype

Large Panerai straps - Tapered vs Non-Tapered / buckles / Accessorizing

Jaype

So I'm getting my first Panerai soon (45mm Radiomir 388) and have never worn a 26mm lugged watch before.  My wrist circumference for the record is 20cm (7 7/8 in), so I think the 45mm case will probably wear medium, definitely smaller than other sports/tool watches.

I'm planning to  get some bespoke straps made up to match and, as well as some general straps,  I was interested in a dressy strap as the PAM388 will serve as an occasional dress watch.  For this purpose I was going to get a 27/22 strap with a deployment buckle (similar sizing to the official 'Rugby Calf Leather' strap, but probably in cognac), which I'd use with the Luminor deployment buckle. If I wanted to use the Radiomir deployment buckle it's actually 20mm at the buckle, so I'd have to alter that taper down even more (at least that's by my logic). Let me know if I'm wrong.

So yeah, also - thoughts on deployment buckles? My thinking is that it saves a lot of wear and tear on quality leather straps.

What's the general view on tapered straps? It does seem strange to have a watch with 26mm lugs and then have a buckle with 20mm to me; but I'm not sure as I've never worn one. I might head to a jeweler and see if I can try some of the stock straps - but I am curious what the community thinks. I'm predicting that the general view wil be  'embrace the chunky gigantic straps' :)

greg_r

27/22 is the norm for most rads. Its a more elegant look than the usual alternatve (26/26) and suits the watch well

FoxWilde

I personally like a litle taper on my straps. both styles give their own personalities. Why not get both and play with them?

Higs

27/22mm  straps are a good fit for a modern, shiny Radiomir, certainly if it's going to get rolled out as a dress watch from time to time. 

Chunky, thick untapered straps are for that Radiomir that your grandfather cut from the wrist of an Italian Navy Diver in WW2.