semperfi55

Review - Glashütte Senator Chronometer

semperfi55

Folks may disagree with me for plonking this review here (reasons below), but given how dire the Glashütte section looks, I think people will be ok with this. I mean, seriously, Glashütte gets its own section but Tudor gets diddly-squat? Whoever sets the subforums, I whole-heartedly approve your taste in watches!

The Watch

The Glashütte Senator Chronometer, reference 1-58-01-05-34-30 is one heck of an elegant piece. It comes in white dial and also yellow gold case variants but the blue dial white gold case variant is miles ahead in terms of class. I completely fell in love with it while trying out the gen at my local Wempe's.

444444.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fit=crop&ch

As suggested in the name, the Senator Chronometer is tested by the German Calibration Service, which sounds like some sort of dystopian sci-fi Fourth-Reich-esque android dictatorship...

The watch packs quite a few functions: power reserve, date, day/night indicator, and an interesting stop-second reset mechanism. When the crown is pulled out, the second hand resets to zero to provide German-level accuracy!

RRP:  ~GBP 20,000

The Rep

I was genuinely surprised to find that this was repped! Well, a Glashütte being repped at all was surprising as it is. 

43773747485_96ca4eeccd_b.jpg

Fellow Glashütte fan @greg_r you may find this rep interesting :D 

43773743735_07286d6a64_b.jpg

Always nice to collect catalogues.... they cost you much less than watches  :lol:

43773753485_17af298641_b.jpg

Dimensions

The gen has a diameter of 42mm and case height of 12.47mm

My rep measured out to be:

Case Diameter: 42mm

Case Height: 12.1mm

Lug to Lug: 48mm

Lug Width: 21.9mm

So the rep is actually slightly thinner! Well, well...

Dial

Once you have looked at the gen, you can immediately tell that the main feature and obstacle to repping it is the dial. It's a beautiful dial. It's a fucking beautiful dial. It's a fucking beautiful textured dial. It's a fucking beautiful textured tactile-tingling dial. You get the point...

43773752585_338c66418a_b.jpg

First off, power reserve is there, at least it doesn't say Monday -  Sunday (Lange reps anyone?) But the photo backdrop shows the a photo of a gen--- the power reserve is mirrored but still sunken. Deal-breaker to some, but still tolerable for me. At least "Chronometer" is spelled correctly...

29745093717_4938399dfe_b.jpg

Here the date window is actually alright, with a staggered edge like gen. The DWO is actually blue like gen, but my photography skills have not reflect that adequately. 

29745093537_9c72f8491f_b.jpg

One thing that differs from the gen "Panorama Date" is that the gen DWO looks like two discrete rings, there is a line between the two digits. Have a look at this gen pic below. The line between the digits is not replicated in my watch. Boohoo.

2.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=format&ch=W

The small seconds sub dial is exquisite. The proportion of the second hand to the subdial is close to gen. I'm not very perceptive of font accuracy, you guys can be the judge yourselves.

29745105707_2b2953a90f_b.jpg

The subdial is sunken as per gen too! Big tell here is that in the gen the "VI" numeral is completely covered by the subdial, with "V" and "VII" being partially cut as well. So the subdial is smaller on the rep.

30812202918_8787eaf734_b.jpg

I really cannot comment on font accuracy, but I think they have done alright for the branding font.

30812199268_ab6bea7efc_b.jpg

Numerals done more or less in the style of the gen, with the exception of the V, VI, VII situation.

43773743705_24d481a81c_b.jpg

Still a good looking dial...

29745106817_d94ca1962f_b.jpg

:drool:The dial texture is superb. I find myself constantly playing around with the light to marvel at the dial. One thing: the watch crystal could do with more AR coating!

29745105357_a0dea6fb92_b.jpg

Movement

Given the source of the rep, I'm inclined to say it's a 2813 movement. The second hand does stutter ever so slightly.

29745099487_470eff5b26_b.jpg

One major tell: the rotor is complete fantasy. The gen is a manual wind.

30812202978_f48802fecd_b.jpg

Case

Casing is good ol' highly reflective stainless steel.

30812202878_277812c113_b.jpg

The tapered, curved lugs do help reduce the profile of the watch. For comparison, a 41mm Datejust wears bigger than this, even though the Senator is 42mm.

43773749165_c973c567c9_b.jpg

Nice logo engraved on the crown.

30812204638_76f3554369_b.jpg

Strap & Buckle

The strap  is of surprisingly good quality. Very sturdy!

44633524932_eeb2980044_b.jpg

Genuine leather... I usually use the roll eyes emoji here, but no need for the snide sarcasm this time! :) 

43773750955_4c34af02cb_b.jpg

The watch uses a butterfly deployant clasp.

29745097977_61a54844db_b.jpg

I would prefer the strap to be blue like the gen, I might try and get one some day...

44633527552_931d82a013_b.jpg

Easy to use butterfly deployant with not much branding details...

44682282871_6785226248_b.jpg

As usual, always have to put the pin on the final hole...

30812205618_b79aa6abcd_b.jpg

Downside of clasps is that it increases the profile of the watch, but they are so goddamn elegant...

30812202808_3a9ceb424c_b.jpg

Function

Power reserve works. The PR hand does move from AUF to AB as you manually wind the watch. Very pleasant experience! And not for show either, the power reserve indicator is quite accurate! A big difference from the gen is that the white dot at the bottom of the PR track is more like a pinhole in the gen. On the rep it's just a blob of white paint. I suspect this might be the day/night indicator stipulated in the gen description. Not sure how it works though. Even the Wempe salesperson did not know what the white pinhole was for...

43773743385_abddb46795_b.jpg

Date as discussed above, the DWO on the rep is one ring whereas the gen appears to be two rings.

Accuracy

The lume on this beast @McGilli, if only you could see the glow...

It glows like your PM, Justin Trudeau! :D:giggle:

justintrudeautorontopride-1900x1216_c.jp

Not only that, this is a chronometer watch so it's very accurate and strives to be a watch for all peoplekind, while at the same time providing trigger warnings for people who do not like oppressive mirrored power (power is a patriarchal term)reserves. 

(I'd like to apologise to my dear watch for comparing them to Mr Trudeau, soz)

(Would also love to know what watch he is wearing)

Overall

The watch is surprisingly well made, with a good textured dial, with a fantastic blue colour, a blue DWO. The general aesthetic is in keeping with the gen, albeit certain details being off. Dimensions are spot on to gen too!

43773742775_e52e33e237_b.jpg

The cons are the mirrored power reserve, absent day/night indicator, subdial size, and presence of a rotor!

30812201918_ed7b5a995b_b.jpg

But given that Glashütte Original is not  widely repped at all, us Glashütte fanboys cannot be picky ;) 

43773743945_1092f7b276_b.jpg

Finally, one pic where I can prove the DWO is actually blue!

44682491351_fd3d0ffd54_b.jpg

Caveat Emptor

I bought this watch on DHgate, which is not encouraged by RWG! You will not get the level of service from DHgate as you would from our TDs. Normally,  I would post this review in the Gate section but given that the Glashütte rep situation is so dire, I felt that it would be more useful for fellow Glashütte fans  to plonk the review here.

So newcomers, you have been warned. If shit goes down with gate sellers, the mods cannot help you out. You can always escalate your purchase with the DHgate admin people. In fact, try asking the TDs about this rep, they might sell it...

https://www.dhgate.com/product/brand-new-glash-tte-quintessentials-whtie/413667480.html

This seller (hello_watch) is pretty decent, all orders come with some sort of watch box with the brand name. @Glaude's fault for introducing me to this seller :facepalm:

29745097577_ac2b8cd1de_b.jpg

UPDATE:

Found this on Tim (Watchfinder)'s gallery

https://www.slickpic.com/users/291ce82456df20006eacc520/albums/GLASHUTTE-ORIGINAL-CHRONOMETER-SENATOR/?wallpaper

The power reserve is the right way round, subdial size is more accurate and obscuring numerals V,VI,VII, caseback is more accurate, but DWO looks black instead of blue. Price and availability unknown. 

• Like 1

Glaude

Isn't she a beauty ? 

Very nice review for a very nice and I dare to say pretty close to the gen rep ! I, for once, agree that this has this place in the non-VIP section :thumbsup:

Damn, a new one on the list ! 

Oh and the buckle is a generic deployant that you can find unbranded, everywhere on Aliexpress, they just laser engraved it with the Glashütte logo but it's still a nice touch !

semperfi55
4 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I dare to say pretty close to the gen rep !

Indeed! Still cannot get over how close they got for some of the details!

5 minutes ago, Glaude said:

everywhere on Aliexpress

Best place for branded rep buckles :lol:

McGilli
53 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Folks may disagree with me for plonking this review here

Funny you mention this.

THAT is MY ONLY complaint about your reviewing procedure (at times).

When - you do not put them in the corresponding forums - but instead you put them in weird places like the ALI/DHG forum etc. Which IMO is not as it should be.

I suggest you put ALL of your reviews in the correct section. Even your transgender watches.

I don't look in the DHG section often, and never for reviews.

So, out of respect, please from now on put all your reviews, for all your watches in their respective forum. And of course, this is mostly because your reviews are so well done. You can put in a disclaimer about DHG etc for newbies - but I find it's better to just say you stole the watch and you don't know where it came from. That puts newbies at ease I think.

And finally, that is the worst lume I've seen in a long, long time. Horrid. I hope you got some money back because of that!

Hahaha I mean - that jackass put a review of a plastic, 3d printed Rolex in the Rolex section! Gotta be consistent!

Thommo82

Some days I wish I was the sort of guy who could pull off this sort of dress watch. Then other days I revel in the fact that I am a brutishly handsome rogue who requires a watch that reflects this.

Great review (as usual) 

I am yet to order from this seller but have a FM Crazy Hours on my radar. 

semperfi55
31 minutes ago, McGilli said:

but I find it's better to just say you stole the watch and you don't know where it came from. That puts newbies at ease I think.

Indeed, I could tell them it's a gift or that I inherited the watch or whatever reasons people use to pretend a rep is gen :lol:

34 minutes ago, McGilli said:

that is the worst lume I've seen in a long, long time.

:rofl:

34 minutes ago, McGilli said:

that jackass put a review of a plastic, 3d printed Rolex in the Rolex section! Gotta be consistent!

Point taken! :D 

semperfi55
22 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

brutishly handsome rogue who requires a watch that reflects this.

Mate with the shit AR coating here, you can use this watch to admire your reflection all day long :lol:

22 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

but have a FM Crazy Hours on my radar. 

hello_watch has a shed load of FM watches. I believe Glaude got a decent Crazy Hours from the seller (of course he did)...

Swiss_goupil

Just in case you guys missed it, there is a new version of this watch.... and it looks stunning (especially without the rotor)

f38af89b3a2ca763b706d8459e46e937.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk