hanski

eBay 1680 Dial sellers?

hanski

Has anyone purchased a dial from eBay user “richview8i8”? They have some 1680 dials up for sale at $148 a piece. 

I haven’t picked apart the details of the graphics but I’m curious about the dial/print quality. Upgrade from stock Cartel? Comparable to...? 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-1680-Submariner-WHITE-LUME-Matte-Black-Refinished-Dial/263894180987?hash=item3d7151a47b:g:nY8AAOSwEyVbfdqh

Also noticed some from “caucacon” for $99. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Repainted-Rolex-Dial-for-Rolex-Submariner-1680/323439270682?hash=item4b4e7b9b1a:g:W~EAAOSwHt5bM9gc

Insights appreciated.

repmaster1234

Do you know about this site? It has some great macro shots and detailed information on 1680s.

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/red-sub/redsub.html

There were at least 6 dial variations over the course of the 1680's production run, some being service dials. To me, the dial from the first link looks to be an amalgamation of the mark VI (coronet/upper text) and mark V (bottom text - somewhat open 6s). The second dial you linked seems to be a marginally better rendering of the mark VI dial, although with the poor image quality it's hard to tell. 

Both dials look to be a significant upgrade from Cartel to me. I'm not sure what they'd be comparable to as I've never dealt with a Vietnam dial.

hanski
11 minutes ago, repmaster1234 said:

Do you know about this site? It has some great macro shots and detailed information on 1680s.

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/red-sub/redsub.html

I sure do! It’s a great site on my favorites list. It’s there along side this one: https://gmtmaster1675.com/

My Vietnam GMT Dial is a significant improvement over both Cartel and Yuki, both in print quality and surface quality. At a similar price point I wondered if these eBay sellers are providing quality close to that. 

hanski

I asked richview8i8 about the quality of his reprint and got the response: 

... Sori, not idea.

We got all these Dials from IWJG, a German watch trader please.

Haha...purchased at IWJG........riiiiiight. 

paccbet
16 minutes ago, mzinski said:

I asked richview8i8 about the quality of his reprint and got the response: 

... Sori, not idea.

We got all these Dials from IWJG, a German watch trader please.

Haha...purchased at IWJG........riiiiiight. 

More like Yuki

hanski

I pressed richview8i8 a little more on it - finally admitted the dials are "fair" quality. 

caucacon on the other hand said the dial for sale was a Vietnam dial - the best quality Vietnam dial! At $99 I took a chance on it. I'll let you all know what I think of it once it gets to me. 

onionbag

Vietnam?

Touchy subjeck here.

bobandshawn
48 minutes ago, onionbag said:

Vietnam?

Touchy subjeck here.

Why?

B

hanski
17 hours ago, onionbag said:

Vietnam?

Touchy subjeck here.

????

How come? 

hanski

So I received the 1680 Red Dial from “caucacon” on eBay. 

$99 + $6 shipping. Arrived within 3 days. Transaction is protected by eBay if something went awry. 

Not to worry, the dial is high quality. On par with Ruby’s Watch dials. 

Nice matte texture, precise lume, 1570 dial feet, good DW window, singer stamp on back, 26.5mm diameter, and nice logo/printing. 

I would highly recommend this seller! I mean , for us CONUS folks, this is a steal being local, fast shipping, and half off (or more) other Vietnam dials  

Sure, I clipped the feet and soldered new ones for ETA 2824-2 movement in my Cartel build. Then shaved off .5mm from the diameter to fit the Cartel case. And finally relumed to match my hand set. 

But here are the pictures out of the box: 

IElV3.jpg

IENib.jpg

IEFI2.jpg

IETOd.jpg

IE7xZ.jpg

hanski

My lume work (neutral, charged with lights on, and charged with lights off). I like my lume working (glowing) and relatively flat but with a slight pillow form  

IEBZq.jpg

IErxG.jpg

IKVF6.jpg

repmaster1234
11 hours ago, mzinski said:

My lume work (neutral, charged with lights on, and charged with lights off). I like my lume working (glowing) and relatively flat but with a slight pillow form  

IEBZq.jpg

IErxG.jpg

IKVF6.jpg

That’s a great looking dial, congratulations. The fonts are surprisingly excellent, and you did a fantastic job with the lume. Are you using a fine or extra fine Oiler to apply it?

Logixa

Looking good @mzinski!

Please pm me once on how you solder new feet on withouth burning the dial, I'm very interested :)

hanski
50 minutes ago, repmaster1234 said:

Are you using a fine or extra fine Oiler to apply it?

I use a "medium" oiler. 

hanski
31 minutes ago, Logixa said:

Please pm me once on how you solder new feet on withouth burning the dial, I'm very interested :)

Logixa, so I'm on my way to having the process work every time without issue: 

I followed the same method outlined on my practice dial. I did it on my 1675 Vietnam dial (no burns) and I did it on this dial (no burns but a slight glossing of the paint in two small areas). Because there was a slight gloss, I took 1500 grit sandpaper and gently matted the area that got glossed. The issue was I torched the backside of the dial 1 second too long (really that's all it takes). Can you see where that happened on the dial? 

onionbag

This is a great thread......

Jasonbaylee

Subscribed! Thx!

"There are more than 1 road to Rome...."