H3X4GON

Panerai 111 Swiss Movement

H3X4GON

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a PAM111 (with the Swiss ETA 6497 and correct Y incabloc) from one of our TD's, and I have to say, I love it! It looks great, feels great, and keeps time well!

I just have a few questions in regards to the watch:

1. How am I able to tell the difference between the Swiss ETA and the Asian movement? They look extraordinarily similar in all respects, and the only difference I've noticed is the Y incabloc (I've owned a 111 with an Asian movement in the past, and I'm unable to tell the difference).

2. My top lug screw keeps unscrewing itself for some reason, and I always have to tighten it every few days to make sure it's secure- is this normal? If not, what would I be able to do so that it won't keep unscrewing? (Just an FYI- I've read an article over on RepGeek mentioning that I should unscrew the lug screw, and then proceed to turn it counter-clockwise until I feel a click. I've done that already, and it's still happening). 

3. When I pull my crown out to set the time, it's extremely wobbly, and feels as if it's about to snap off- is this normal as well? If not, would I be able to do anything to secure the crown, or at least stop it from wobbling?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys! :) 

Glaude

Hi you !

1- There's also an Asian clone with the correct incablock, but you should start by trying to locate an ETA logo stamped under the balance wheel. Note that this is not a guarantee that you don't have a franken Asian/Swiss weird movement.

f95ad4be933552e8eed18a9d668b194f_large.j

2- Juste use a bit of threadlocker on the thread of the screw and you'll be good to go, use one that can be removed without heat like Loctite 222,221 or 243

3- Mine is a bit wobbly also but nothing that worries me

H3X4GON
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Hi you !

1- There's also an Asian clone with the correct incablock, but you should start by trying to locate an ETA logo stamped under the balance wheel. Note that this is not a guarantee that you don't have a franken Asian/Swiss weird movement.

f95ad4be933552e8eed18a9d668b194f_large.j

2- Juste use a bit of threadlocker on the thread of the screw and you'll be good to go, use one that can be removed without heat like Loctite 222,221 or 243

3- Mine is a bit wobbly also but nothing that worries me

Howdy! Thanks for your response!

1. Thanks for the photo of the movement- I sure hope it's an ETA6497, as I paid 498USD for the watch, opposed to the Asian movement with the correct Y incabloc that goes for 378USD.  I'll pop off the case back later on, and I'll search for the ETA logo- it's supposed to be a Panerai decorated Swiss ETA movement.

2. Thanks for the tips about the threadlocker! I'll try to get a hold of some, and see how it goes from there!

3. Thanks for informing me about the crown issue! 

NCRich

$500 for a 111 rep?  Wow.  With a wobbly crown..........c'mon guys.

H3X4GON
12 minutes ago, NCRich said:

$500 for a 111 rep?  Wow.  With a wobbly crown..........c'mon guys.

Yeah... was it a bad move though? I did buy it from a TD, so I thought that all is well. :/

Here are some photos of the movement for reference:

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/H3X4GON/media/BCF49613-C2BB-43DD-B675-4895DFC1C3C6_zpsruypnkdp.jpeg.html

Edited by H3X4GON
Adding photo

Tits McGee

I don't consider ANY rep offering claiming to be genuine Swiss to actually be Swiss. It's well known in the Rep world that the best you may receive are reclaimed Swiss parts along with a few extra pubes. I never understood how someone could spend so much $ on a fake watch. 

Unfortunate that some so willingly part with their money so easily.....especially sending so much to strangers in China....then expect to receive high quality items in return for their cash. $500 for a 111 is ridiculous. EVERY member here would agree that's an exorbitant price to pay for such a well known rep. But you didn't ask anyone did you?  :facepalm:

Common Sense!

H3X4GON
3 minutes ago, Tits McGee said:

I don't consider ANY rep offering claiming to be genuine Swiss to actually be Swiss. It's well known in the Rep world that the best you may receive are reclaimed Swiss parts along with a few extra pubes. I never understood how someone could spend so much $ on a fake watch. 

Unfortunate that some so willingly part with their money so easily.....especially sending so much to strangers in China....then expect to receive high quality items in return for their cash. $500 for a 111 is ridiculous. EVERY member here would agree that's an exorbitant price to pay for such a well known rep. But you didn't ask anyone did you?  :facepalm:

Common Sense!

Ahh damn.. Well, now I learned. 

Also, thanks for the sticky- will read through it.

NCRich
16 minutes ago, H3X4GON said:

Ahh damn.. Well, now I learned. 

Also, thanks for the sticky- will read through it.

You got nearly 300 posts, you had to know better than that.

Glaude
48 minutes ago, H3X4GON said:

Yeah... was it a bad move though? I did buy it from a TD, so I thought that all is well. :/

Lack of knowledge punished you ! Everything is detailed in the various sticky you've been pointed at.

TD's sells a HYT rep that's utter shit for example, but if you don't do your research and only use TD website, you're in for a big surprise ! :footinmouth:

McGilli
3 hours ago, H3X4GON said:

I love it! It looks great, feels great, and keeps time well!

That's the most important thing you've said. Just keep enjoying it now - no matter what you paid for it.

deju

It will have Swiss parts, eta markings mean nothing they fake them. 

The cogs look Asian to me hard to tell with your low res images.

for your info the Asian clone movement in these watches are great, wasn’t worth Swiss it won’t fix any tells in the movement 

Jibuti

OP, in best case it might have Swiss base plate, on pic I see a lot of asian parts there.... but again-why would they bother putting gen plate there with rest of crap...? Even if there is ETA stamp, there is a lot of chance it is faked...

if crown is wobbly then it could be unscrewed a bit from winding stem, it is easy fix... but be careful of messed keyless... 

sorry for your (money) loss

H3X4GON
12 hours ago, NCRich said:

You got nearly 300 posts, you had to know better than that.

Thought I did, but I guess not. Lesson learned!

12 hours ago, Glaude said:

Lack of knowledge punished you ! Everything is detailed in the various sticky you've been pointed at.

TD's sells a HYT rep that's utter shit for example, but if you don't do your research and only use TD website, you're in for a big surprise ! :footinmouth:

Most definitely- it did! 

12 hours ago, McGilli said:

That's the most important thing you've said. Just keep enjoying it now - no matter what you paid for it.

Thanks, and I will! :)

12 hours ago, deju said:

It will have Swiss parts, eta markings mean nothing they fake them. 

The cogs look Asian to me hard to tell with your low res images.

for your info the Asian clone movement in these watches are great, wasn’t worth Swiss it won’t fix any tells in the movement 

Yeah, I reckon so. So they just slap some ETA parts with the asian parts to make the supposed "ETA" movements? 

Also, I opted for the Swiss movement because I thought it would be more reliable- I had a 312 that conked out on me, but then again, it was automatic.

8 hours ago, jibuti said:

OP, in best case it might have Swiss base plate, on pic I see a lot of asian parts there.... but again-why would they bother putting gen plate there with rest of crap...? Even if there is ETA stamp, there is a lot of chance it is faked...

if crown is wobbly then it could be unscrewed a bit from winding stem, it is easy fix... but be careful of messed keyless... 

sorry for your (money) loss

Thanks for help! How would I be able to check if it's a keyless issue? 

Also, thanks- as am I. Haha

GenTLe

Yeah... was it a bad move though?

Yes, there is absolutely no point, especially on a movement like this where the Chinese clone has absolutely nothing to envy to a gen Swiss one.
And if you consider that (as Tits said) normally these are just refurbished movements, the risk to pay more for a crappy movement is pretty high...

Jibuti
2 hours ago, H3X4GON said:

How would I be able to check if it's a keyless issue? 

You will find about that issue when it is already too late.....

deju
3 hours ago, GenTLe said:

the Chinese clone has absolutely nothing to envy to a gen Swiss one.

Yes and no. While it’s a bloody close replication, but it has to envy the finish of the Swiss. 

IaICr.jpg

In reality you’re the only one that sees it. I just got a noob 127e for £110 due to a plating flaw on the main bridge. No one will ever see. 

Is it worth it? Is it fuck, they feel the same on the wrist as gen. If you have a Y incabloc you will fool 99% of people, see it every day on the panerai Facebook groups. 

Svenborg
17 hours ago, Tits McGee said:

Common Sense!

Sorry guys, I’m not familiar with a 111 rep. I’m sure you have had this question often, but what is it? It seems as if $500 is a lot for it, so I would like to know what it is so that I don’t make the same mistake. I don’t like to pay too much for anything.

tonyh7

The Asian Unitas clone is a really good movement. Solid, reliable and (relatively) easy to work on if it goes wrong. As long as it's not dry it should run for years. I understand the cachet of having a genuine Swiss movement. It's just that 'genuine Swiss' can mean almost anything.  As a matter of interest, can you actually buy a new  Swiss Unitas movement - and how much do they cost?  Actually I see Cousins have them for £155 - but they are not in stock.   

Glaude
3 hours ago, Svenborg said:

Sorry guys, I’m not familiar with a 111 rep. I’m sure you have had this question often, but what is it? It seems as if $500 is a lot for it, so I would like to know what it is so that I don’t make the same mistake. I don’t like to pay too much for anything.

What is what ? the 111 ?

It's the Panerai Model 111, abbreviated PAM111

Svenborg

Thanks for that info.

The post also seemed to hint that the price was high for the PAM111.  Also that $500 was too much to pay for a rep.  I’m not convinced that it is high for a good rep. I’d be interested to hear from other members if they think $500 is too much to pay for a complicated, good quality rep.  I see the Daytona’s tend to be around $480.  

Glaude
56 minutes ago, Svenborg said:

Thanks for that info.

The post also seemed to hint that the price was high for the PAM111.  Also that $500 was too much to pay for a rep.  I’m not convinced that it is high for a good rep. I’d be interested to hear from other members if they think $500 is too much to pay for a complicated, good quality rep.  I see the Daytona’s tend to be around $480.  

The PAM111 is a very well-replicated model, there's been a lot of various changes to it, adding only little but to the price.
It's a "simple" model without any complication, I got mine in M2M for £105 delivered and you can find very good version for around $280 on TD's website.
$500 is a lot for any rep, nothing really justify such a high price except the high demand of a model.

Reps with a lot of complications can be found at  around $360, like the recent JLC Master Ultrathin with : day, date, month, true moonphase, so this not either why price are high.

GenTLe

$500 is a lot for any rep, nothing really justify such a high price except the high demand of a model.

As this guy said ^^^^

The prices are based on what people are willing to pay and only partially by the complications.

BenjaminButton
Thanks for that info.

Oh gosh well then good luck. Ignore the advice in this thread. Ignore the information in the forum. Spunk your hard earned dollars on 500 bucks a piece quality reps and then feel free to not share your experiences in a new thread slagging off overpriced reps. See the the light now, repent, read and research the subject here and you might elevate yourself from the idiot abyss.

deju
15 hours ago, Svenborg said:

Thanks for that info.

We’re not here to convince you, buy what you want. 

All watch models have different costs to build and therefore have a different level of cost to get a near 1:1 super rep. 

Svenborg

Guys I was asking for useful information. Unfortunately I didn’t get any.