HealP

Trying to decide on first Rep Sub

HealP

Hi all,

I am trying to decide on which rep submariner is the better choice.

Both are from Silix-prime.

Both are under $82 and most likely have the same movements (?).

First has sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel but the crown guards are too big.

http://www.silix-prime.me/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_205_214&products_id=5078

The second has nice shape but has a mineral crystal and painted black bezel. 

http://www.silix-prime.me/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_205_214&products_id=2034

Are the sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel such superior features that that is the watch to get?

Thanks,

Peter

currently own an SKX009

FoxWilde

Mate. 

There's an overflowing abundance of material on replica Submariners. Mainly because 99 percent of newbies look for that model. But since the good ones seem (and the decent ones) seem to be out of your budget, you're going to have to pick and choose which traits you'd accept. The first link you posted is based on the ceramic 116610 model. Besides obvious dial errors, it has the wrong crown guards and bracelet clasp. The second one is based off the older aluminum bezel 16610. it has a lot of detail errors, including mineral crystal. Most reps over $300 do too. Below that, is street market trash that may disintegrate on your wrist. Choose wisely. Or up your budget. Seriously, get a regmariner. Read into that. Or, BP released pretty decent subs this week on TD sites. Shitty bezel but hey at least it's ceramic. 

Personally, if you want a rep. Don't waste money on a half decent one because it's cheap. It'll feel cheap. I bought the Noob 4130 clone Daytona. It was very expensive but it is only shy of gen by not being waterproof to 100m. Literally 99% to gen. Save up, and buy something you'd be proud to wear on your wrist. That's just my two cents.

Best of luck on your search

Fox

Edited by FoxWilde

deju

At your price point you can’t be fussy about crown gaurd shape, the best reps in the $500+ range are still flawed. 

If you want a beginner sub buy a regmariner (noobmariner) available from our TD Reg! @narikaa

NFleischer

Agree with FoxWilde, best bet for novice is Regmariner at about $100 or so.

Foxindebox

Both of those are shit... sorry mate. Don’t waste your money on either.

If you want an inexpensive Submariner that is decent quality and looks the part, spent a bit more (about£110 I think) and get a regmariner. 

https://narikaa.smugmug.com/New-Thai

Look in there and drop Narikka an email, you will not find better for the money, guaranteed.

deju
3 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Personally, if you want a rep. Don't waste money on a half decent one because it's cheap. It'll feel cheap. I bought the Noob 4130 clone Daytona. It was very expensive but it is only shy of gen by not being waterproof to 100m. Literally 99% to gen. Save up, and buy something you'd be proud to wear on your wrist. That's just my two cents.

Best of luck on your search

Fox

I saw the v3 is 904L steel .... That’s another £100 :omfg: 

Rokerite

As Fox says pay the few extra $ and get a Regmariner from Narikaa, they are much better quality than the ones you posted:D

FoxWilde
3 minutes ago, deju said:

I saw the v3 is 904L steel .... That’s another £100 :omfg: 

I know right?? In my HUMBLEST of opinions, I don't think it's worth it to get in 904L. My shite eyes can't tell the bloody difference so what's the point! Waste of a good 100 quid

Seriously OP, We've almost all wasted money on shite reps before. This forum enlightens us of the best there is out there. Don't  settle for those low quality beaters. Treat yourself!

Edited by FoxWilde

black263

Unless you know exactly what you're after, first rep sub should always be a Regmariner.  They're without doubt the best bang for the buck, and you may well be happy to stop there.  If you try the Regmariner and decide you want to pay over double the price for a small increase in quality, you do so from a position of knowledge.   You will also get about 90% of your original outlay back by reselling the Regmariner on M2M once you qualify to sell, or may break even by selling to your mates in the pub.

narikaa

Pretty fond of it myself

:D

HealP

Ok so now I am willing to spend $175 (shipping included) to get a Submariner.

I am worried about the movement being an Asian 21J/DG2813 in the Regmariner.

Will I be unhappy with this movement.

Should I go with the ToroBravo with the Asian 2836-2 movement?

http://www.toro.host/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=783

The spacing of "Officially Certified" is off but is the movement so much better?

Which movement is better in terms of longevity?

Thanks,

Peter

Thommo82

Just get a Regmariner like everyone else said. I have two, best value sub you can get. 

The end

CurioLeo

Save a bit longer,  buy the best quality rep you can find. Anything else will be money wasted on a watch that won't make it on your wrist once the honeymoon period wears off (the cheaper the rep, the shorter that period will be). If it doesn't feel gen to you, you won't wear it. 

BTW, I hate to say it and I hope you don't take it the wrong way but if you are stretching to go from a $100 rep to a $175 rep, you are not going to pull off wearing a $12,000 watch.

Glaude
2 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Save a bit longer,  buy the best quality rep you can find. Anything else will be money wasted on a watch that won't make it on your wrist once the honeymoon period wears off (the cheaper the rep, the shorter that period will be). If it doesn't feel gen to you, you won't wear it. 

BTW, I hate to say it and I hope you don't take it the wrong way but if you are stretching to go from a $100 rep to a $175 rep, you are not going to pull off wearing a $12,000 watch.

Regmariner are reliable and very well made reps !

I don't see what being able to "pull it off" have to do with him wanting to get a nice rep for not too much money nor that he is indeed able to pull it off or no

HealP

thats so funny, I am a frugal rascal.

Part of me just wants to get an SKX007 and call it a day.

Glaude
3 minutes ago, HealP said:

Have a look at his feedback section

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/104-feedback-narikaa/

You'll see how people are happy about their regmariner, whether they are seasoned members or noobs.

FoxWilde
1 hour ago, HealP said:

The spacing of "Officially Certified" is off but is the movement so much better?

Thanks,

Peter

So so many posts about movements. 

Personally go with the ETA clone. same bhp as gen it's a no brainer. Spend the extra money. If you're like me it'll bug you. 

Advice: DON'T JUMP THE GUN! SAVE UP TO GET A REP YOU WILL BEE PROUD OF

other advice; Who tf cares it's your money

Luxuracer
2 hours ago, HealP said:

OK ... So you are worry about the movement!

The 2813 21J movement is a workhorse. It will last as long as any A2836/A2824. The only thing is its beat 'a little' slower than the real Sub (@21600bhp vs 28800bph).
If you look closely at Toro listing, to go to A2836 movement you have to add $110 bring the price to $278. Forget about that watch.

Below are you options, so start save up and pick one that fit your pocket.

1) The best beginner watch : Regmariner A2813 .... $175 (shipping included)

2) The best for your money: VRF MAX A2836 .... $348 (plus shipping)

3 The best of the best: ARF 904L A2824 .... $478 (plus shipping)

There you have it. Now, break that piggy bank and get your watch.

CurioLeo
2 hours ago, HealP said:

Nothing wrong with that, I have several Seikos myself 

CurioLeo

I have a suggestion for you. Try something other than a Sub. It's amazing how everyone wants a Sub for their first rep but there are some very high quality reps in that $175 range (the Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine diver comes to mind from a couple of years ago for example) which might be more satisfying or one of numerous Panerais for under $250 (see Toro's specials). Unless of course you really want a Sub, in which case get that :D

narikaa

You are wasting your time

As indeed most ADs I've spoken to over the years concur

Swimming in certain ponds the only brand myopically focused on is ROLEX. Those afflicted with that narrow field of vision have best focus on the tawdry Submariner with the easily remembered guidelines formulae: 

Steel Black Sub = wealthy

Steel Sub of other colours = flamboyant + wealthy

Two Tone Black Sub = wealthier than a Steel Sub owner

Two Tone Blue Sub = flamboyant+ wealthier than a Steel Sub owner

All Gold Sub = wealthier than all the above + sneering rights

Thommo82
29 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

I have a suggestion for you. Try something other than a Sub. It's amazing how everyone wants a Sub for their first rep but there are some very high quality reps in that $175 range (the Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine diver comes to mind from a couple of years ago for example) which might be more satisfying or one of numerous Panerais for under $250 (see Toro's specials). Unless of course you really want a Sub, in which case get that :D

Agreed. I too those was a sub for my first rep guy. It’s like a gateway drug though. You start safe and are satisfied until you start hearing about all the other drugs that are readily available. 

Before you know it, you have a full blown meth addiction. 

You realise that’s not enough and you try Heroin.

Still not enough.

You go through every damn drug available until you come to the conclusion that no drug will ever give you the fix you desire. 

But do you stop? 

Fuck that......

You keep doing drug after drug after drug, quenching your thirst briefly until the high wears off and you find yourself seeking the next drug.

Its really lucky there are a lot of drugs out there. 

Waspy

If you are worried your 2813 movement might stop working, new ones can be had on eBay for less than £15. Any rep friendly watchmaker can swap it over cheaply.

The SKX is a good watch (I have 3) but they lack a hand wind facility which is slightly annoying.

black263
9 hours ago, HealP said:

Thanks,

Peter

As I said earlier, I would always advise you to start with a Regmariner.  You've been quoted $175 with postage or a similar movement from Toro for $168 plus postage. No real difference.  Toro's with the clone is significantly more expensive and would be on the cards if you're too anal to keep the Regmariner.

And be in no doubt that everyone will assume it's a fake because it's a Rolex.  That's what moved me away from them.  It doesn't matter what rep OR GEN you buy, if it's a Rolex the assumption will be that it's fake.