brang1

damn these are gorgeous watches

BIG GRUNDY
On 27/02/2019 at 14:49, CurioLeo said:

VVovwK.md.jpg

One of the reasons I have no desire to acquire a plain Submariner 

That is quite nice...

Golfer130i

Not my watch but just wanted to say that I fail to see how anybody could improve on the looks of this absolute beauty. It surely must be one of the best looking watches ever made.

45b54e1951bba273e63f05eb5b1eef8e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CurioLeo
2 hours ago, BIG GRUNDY said:

That is quite nice...

Thank you, it has the most matte ink black dial !

2 hours ago, Golfer130i said:

Not my watch but just wanted to say that I fail to see how anybody could improve on the looks of this absolute beauty. It surely must be one of the best looking watches ever made.

45b54e1951bba273e63f05eb5b1eef8e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheaper alternative worth considering is the SJE073 - latest thinnest movement/ case with an interesting paper texture

RussP

Does an almost Grand Seiko get a gander in this thread?

40332035933_0ff1699115_b.jpg

CurioLeo
On 06/03/2019 at 18:59, RussP said:

Does an almost Grand Seiko get a gander in this thread?

40332035933_0ff1699115_b.jpg

Definitely

CurioLeo

V1z5HI.md.jpg

Let's talk about the legibility of GS - this is a completely unedited photo taken on my Samsung S9 without a flash in lighting conditions that would normally constitute a lume shot. Yeah....people can keep buying their $12k Submariners as an entry into the high end watch world, I will stick to my GS.

Timepilot2012

SBGA387 Taken with a portable microscope meant for examining circuit boards. This is my SBGA387

Edited by Timepilot2012
pictures didn't load

CollieWobbles

^^^ Cool pictures and watch :D

Watch_Fox

SBGX269 - 37mm quartz. Gold on black provides great contrast. Titanium case and bracelet makes it very lightweight and comfortable.  Photos taken in the sun and shade to highlight the very subtle dial texture.

Vf9V0e.jpg
Vf2AjK.jpg

Edited by Watch_Fox

CollieWobbles

Very nice :thumbsup:

MoveAlong

PXL_20201219_21234372326cca464166cbabb7.

Darkstar5

A GS springdrive is tops on my gen wishlist. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet though. May have to part with something else in the collection first though so my wife doesn't part with me :lol:.

If anyone lurking in this thread hasn't read up on spring drive technology, here's a cool vid explaining how it works. Very cool

https://youtu.be/HoEorK6elZM

CurioLeo

For vintage GS admirers - a 61GS (6146-8050 to be exact). This watch was the basis for the 6186 or the legendary VFA that will set you back about $10k USD in absolutely any condition. It is the only one with the same case. The difference is that the movement was adjusted further on the 6186 to guarantee an accuracy of 60 seconds per month for 2 years, the indices are slightly deeper on the VFA and this watch has a faceted crystal.  Mine is in virtually NOS condition and that includes the rarer than unicorn poop crystal. The bracelet is not original to the watch but matches the profile rather well IMHO.

ZyLOdo.jpg ZyLYxJ.jpg ZyLIIk.jpg ZyL1WP.jpg

• Like 1

Kleen™

^ great find...

CurioLeo

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have it trust upon them .....this one needed a bit of thrusting to get to great level.  Finding a NOS crystal and service from a GS expert wasn't easy !

Kleen™
23 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have it trust upon them .....this one needed a bit of thrusting to get to great level.  Finding a NOS crystal and service from a GS expert wasn't easy !

I believe you. I dream of some day swimming my way through a shitload of 2’nd hand markets in Japan and grabbing up countless numbers of orphaned GS’s from the last 6 decades for a song....til then I’ll have to choose btw. the models GS make available in the EU 

• Like 1

Flinnt
1 hour ago, Kleen™ said:

I believe you. I dream of some day swimming my way through a shitload of 2’nd hand markets in Japan and grabbing up countless numbers of orphaned GS’s from the last 6 decades for a song....til then I’ll have to choose btw. the models GS make available in the EU 

Do it! Japan is amazing. The mall in Nakano is mind boggling for watch shopping. 

CurioLeo
1 hour ago, Kleen™ said:

Just one teeny , weeny problem with that theory.  My experience has been that GSs cost more in Japan than elsewhere.  Picking up a suitcase full of them for a song was my plan too the last time I was in Japan and it didn't come to fruition because they either don't sell crappy ones (Japanese are not really into true vintage with wabi sabi which they call "junk" ) OR they sell them in amazing condition in which case they are aware of the value and sell priced accordingly.

• Like 1

Flinnt

Yeah I agree with CurioLeo, GS’s weren’t that cheap. Swiss watches were!

• Like 1

ironduvall

Where can i get a super replica of a grand seiko. 

CurioLeo
1 minute ago, ironduvall said:

Where can i get a super replica of a grand seiko. 

You can't. The mission of GS in 1960 was to make the most reliable and accurate watch with the best finishing possible to knock the Swiss companies off the top of the pecking order. The mission  hasn't changed on 2020 except the world is now beginning to realise the best watches aren't necessarily Swiss. You can't replicate "most reliable, accurate and exquisite finishing" for a few hundred bucks.  Replica of GS ? Sure. A super replica of a GS ? Not possible, period. 

Kleen™

Sounds like going for ‘Big in Japan’ is not a good strategy then...using Chrono 24 as ref, prices does seem 15-25 % lower in the land of the rising sun than in the EU...with a lot more variery as well. 

BTW: Check out this new hi-beat 60’th ann. edition SLGH-003....just released this december and instantly managed to divert my focus from the Snowflake...

Edited by Kleen™