Basekomp

Post your Grand Seiko!

CurioLeo

Its a beautiful watch with a 15k AUD price tag to match. Seiko is not your typical cheap mall watch maker anymore! 

In terms of Japan prices being 15% less than EU prices, remember that the asking price is pretty much fixed in Japan.  You will even notice it on eBay. Watches are either sold as an auction (for stuff considered as junk ad per earlier comment) or a fix price. In the rare case where there is a Best Offer option, an offer less than 90-95% of the asking price will typically be automatically rejected.

tonyh7

I wish I could post my GS. They are just the most stunning watches. Put one next to a rollie and the rollie looks dowdy. 

Kleen™
15 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Its a beautiful watch with a 15k AUD price tag to match. Seiko is not your typical cheap mall watch maker anymore! 

In terms of Japan prices being 15% less than EU prices, remember that the asking price is pretty much fixed in Japan.  You will even notice it on eBay. Watches are either sold as an auction (for stuff considered as junk ad per earlier comment) or a fix price. In the rare case where there is a Best Offer option, an offer less than 90-95% of the asking price will typically be automatically rejected.

I’ve called my AD and ordered the 003, which he thinks he can have medio Jan. We’ll see...fingers crossed.

Edit: Was planning on buying the Snowflake prior to the 003 turning up, but he has several versions of that one in stock, so I decided to postpone the purchase until I can compare them side-by-side.

Edited by Kleen™

CurioLeo
1 minute ago, Kleen™ said:

I’ve called my AD and ordered the 003, which he thinks he can have medio Jan. We’ll see...fingers crossed.

Just don't try to sell it too soon and you won't regret buying it

Kleen™
7 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Just don't try to sell it too soon and you won't regret buying it

No plans on selling it for the foreseeable future, as it will be my only Hi-Beat...same goes for my SBGE-215; only that one being Spring Drive of course (somewhat sadly with a closed case-back...:)

Edited by Kleen™

Thang

Wow! Some nice looking GS here. I'm hoping to get one for my big five O bd :-)

Kleen™
On 23/12/2020 at 11:57, Kleen™ said:

Edit: Was planning on buying the Snowflake prior to the 003 turning up, but he has several versions of that one in stock, so I decided to postpone the purchase until I can compare them side-by-side.

UPDATE: So after a covid-induced month-long wait, I finally got my hands on the very last NIB of the 60’th Anniversary edition SLGH-003 from an AD outside of Japan, so the AD  stuck to his promise of ‘I’ll get it for you by mid-Jan’.

It is truly a stunning watch by any comparison! By far the best finished watch of any in my entire collection to date, including my other GS’s. I highly recommend you give this one a thorough hands-on look if you manage to stumble across one on your path: and unless you are spoiled to death with the likes of R.W. Smith and F.P. Journes in your collection (in which case I hate you), I can almost guarantee it will be a very surprising and rewarding experience...:)

Edited by Kleen™

CurioLeo
10 hours ago, Kleen™ said:

UPDATE: So after a covid-induced month-long wait, I finally got my hands on the very last NIB of the 60’th Anniversary edition SLGH-003 from an AD outside of Japan, so the AD  stuck to his promise of ‘I’ll get it for you by mid-Jan’.

It is truly a stunning watch by any comparison! By far the best finished watch of any in my entire collection to date, including my other GS’s. I highly recommend you give this one a thorough hands-on look if you manage to stumble across one on your path: and unless you are spoiled to death with the likes of R.W. Smith and F.P. Journes in your collection (in which case I hate you), I can almost guarantee it will be a very surprising and rewarding experience...:)

Awesome pick up, the only other alternative with the same movement would have cost way more - got something special there :D

Kleen™
31 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Awesome pick up, the only other alternative with the same movement would have cost way more - got something special there :D

Thank you..:)

And you obviously know your GS’s - the only alternative would be the even more limited production gold dresswatch, which is just not a good match for ‘how I roll’...

Edited by Kleen™

Flinnt
12 hours ago, Kleen™ said:

I was tempted to try to get one but the sentimental value of the snowflake for me meant I needed to stick to it. 
Show us some photos!

My new snowflake:

Zre9ep.jpg

5 days in and it’s gained less than half of one second so far. 

• Like 2

CurioLeo
2 hours ago, Kleen™ said:

Thank you..:)

And you obviously know your GS’s - the only alternative would be the even more limited production gold dresswatch, which is just not a good match for ‘how I roll’...

The SLGH002 is amazing technically but if I was going for the high roller look, I would go for the SBGD202 at the same price and call it a day :D

Kleen™
18 hours ago, CurioLeo said:

The SLGH002 is amazing technically but if I was going for the high roller look, I would go for the SBGD202 at the same price and call it a day :D

Had to look that ref up, and yeah; the 202 is beautifully accomplished in all it’s alluring simplicity...a bit like  the Credor Eichi (ii)....just imagine wristing that thing under the radar.....to the tune of  50K+....way out of reach for me, tho’...;)

Edited by Kleen™

Kleen™
15 hours ago, Flinnt said:

I was tempted to try to get one but the sentimental value of the snowflake for me meant I needed to stick to it. 
Show us some photos!

My new snowflake:

Zre9ep.jpg

5 days in and it’s gained less than half of one second so far. 

The SnowFlake is still one awesome watch AND the one I had initially targeted as my next buy....after-all, it has become to GS what the Sub is to Rolex!

But spending a couple of hours at the AD, spoiled for choice with dozens of ref’s in front of me (with several of them on my wrist) I boiled it down to the SnowFlake, SkyFlake and then the 003. I picked 003 because it was ‘last call’ / now or never, where-as the other two I can acquire pretty much anytime and anywhere - and I most likely will down the road...:)

PS: Sorry; I don’t do pics as I really can’t be arsed with managing any other photo library than the one in MacOS / iOS...;)

Edited by Kleen™
  • Like 1

Flinnt
9 hours ago, Kleen™ said:

PS: Sorry; I don’t do pics as I really can’t be arsed with managing any other photo library than the one in MacOS / iOS...;)

I only manage pics in iOS. To insert here press the picture button at top of reply box, then choose browse my device, click on picture, click upload. 
Glaude has done some black magic stuff so you  don’t have to bother actually doing anything in clickpix.  I think I initially set up a clickpix account though. 

Kleen™
46 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

I only manage pics in iOS. To insert here press the picture button at top of reply box, then choose browse my device, click on picture, click upload. 
Glaude has done some black magic stuff so you  don’t have to bother actually doing anything in clickpix.  I think I initially set up a clickpix account though. 

Kewl. I had no clue the Blue Boys had been that enterprising....will give it a try and see how that works out...;)

• Like 1

CurioLeo
11 hours ago, Kleen™ said:

Had to look that ref up, and yeah; the 202 is beautifully accomplished in all it’s alluring simplicity...a bit like  the Credor Eichi (ii)....just imagine wristing that thing under the radar.....to the tune of  50K+....way out of reach for me, tho’...;)

In isolation, a bridge a bit too far for me too. I have seriously contemplated reducing the number of watches in my collection and consolidating from over 60 down to 5 or 6 absolute top shelf stuff (like the 202) but the hard part has been identifying 5 or 6 watches that would be a totally satisfactory rotation...

Phoenixboy
9 hours ago, CurioLeo said:

In isolation, a bridge a bit too far for me too. I have seriously contemplated reducing the number of watches in my collection and consolidating from over 60 down to 5 or 6 absolute top shelf stuff (like the 202) but the hard part has been identifying 5 or 6 watches that would be a totally satisfactory rotation...

I would do my best to help you out:clouseaul:

Kleen™
11 hours ago, CurioLeo said:

1) Your best diver.

2) Your best chrono.

3) Your best dresswatch.

4) Your best manual.

5) Your best auto.

6) Your most beloved/used.

Note: List prioritized in no particular order.

If one watch covers multiple points, consider yourself lucky as you get to pick another, e.g. your best quartz, complication etc...;)

Edited by Kleen™

CurioLeo
5 minutes ago, Kleen™ said:

1) Your best diver.

2) Your best chrono.

3) Your best dresswatch.

4) Your best manual.

5) Your best auto.

6) Your most beloved/used.

Note: List prioritized in no particular order.

If one watch covers multiple points, consider yourself lucky as you get to pick another, e.g. your best quartz, complication etc...;)

Not 5 or 6 out of current collection.  The only one guaranteed to be retained from the current collection would be the GMT IIC for sentimental reasons and maybe the Pam 052 for its rarity and potential to escalate in value.  Everything else could be upgraded eg the GS SBGA029 could easily become a SLGA001

Kleen™
42 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Not 5 or 6 out of current collection.  The only one guaranteed to be retained from the current collection would be the GMT IIC for sentimental reasons and maybe the Pam 052 for its rarity and potential to escalate in value.  Everything else could be upgraded eg the GS SBGA029 could easily become a SLGA001

Ahh; gotcha!

001 is one mighty impressive diver, but positively YUUUUUUGE by another 2mm over the already substantial 45mm 029. But if you have the ‘Popeyes’ to carry that kinda load, go for it...;)

PS: Not trying to be sarky here, but do you honestly think the Pams will ever recover from the rise-and-fall in hype?

Edited by Kleen™

CurioLeo
9 hours ago, Kleen™ said:

Ahh; gotcha!

001 is one mighty impressive diver, but positively YUUUUUUGE by another 2mm over the already substantial 45mm 029. But if you have the ‘Popeyes’ to carry that kinda load, go for it...;)

PS: Not trying to be sarky here, but do you honestly think the Pams will ever recover from the rise-and-fall in hype?

Size not an issue, happily wear 47mm pams regularly.  On that note, I definitely don’t think Panerai is dead as it is heading towards more regular sized watches and seems to be hoping weird and wonderful materials will justify exorbitant pricing, which I am not sold on.  My brief dalliance with a 339 did not go well and I won't touch their tech this or tech that shit !

CurioLeo
12 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

I would do my best to help you out:clouseaul:

Whatcha have in mind G ? Are you going to suggest the perfect rotation for me ? 

Phoenixboy

absolutely...

Rotate them across the pond to me, and i will update you with daily wristys to let you see they have gone to a good home.

see it as, doing your bit to support the uk in its hour of need.....

CurioLeo
7 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

absolutely...

Rotate them across the pond to me, and i will update you with daily wristys to let you see they have gone to a good home.

see it as, doing your bit to support the uk in its hour of need.....

Fair enough, when the plethora of decent value gens eventually gets reduced to a select few but exquisite gens,  I will see what I can do about shipping a few Pams over :D What's a few extremely rare pam reps between friends , right? 

Try not to keel over from Covid-19 in the meantime!

Phoenixboy

thanks mate, i will try to stay safe until they arrive:D