ElvisFreak

Having fun with my replica

ElvisFreak

NO, nothing naughty.

While packing the Big Red for its new destination...

I thought I would turn one my ghost bezel into a tropic bezel

This hobby is sometimes quite fun

DSCF8605.jpg

Edited by ElvisFreak

onionbag

I've no idea what a 'ghost bezel' or a' tropic bezel' is.

ElvisFreak
1 hour ago, onionbag said:

you are serious?

fatarms
7 minutes ago, ElvisFreak said:

you are serious?

Maybe he's looking for a ghost bezel "insert." :lol:

I actually have a gen 16750 from my wife's grandfather, worn basically every day in the Texas sun.  I wanted to change out the bezel insert about 6 years ago, but was fortunately talked out of it by members here.  The watch was never sent to Rolex for a service, so the dial remained as when it was originally purchased, so it's still the tritium matte dial which makes it more rare.  Rolex would change the dial out for a satin dial with hour markers that had metal outlines when it was sent in for service.  It's a 1983 Rolex GMT 16750 with all original parts with the exception of the crystal that was changed out by 10:10 when he was a trusted watchsmith here.  The crystal was pretty beat up, so I decided to change it out with a newer one.  I wore it to our wedding and wear it every anniversary, along with the occasional day here and there in the rotation.

15gz09u.jpg

ElvisFreak

and that GMT insert is ghost

BenjaminButton

He cannot be serious?

I think I can explain ....clearly descriptions of accidental damage. The insert on this timepiece has clearly been fucked with hot battery acid causing hideous corrosion and Elvis is asking us how to clean and repair it. Ghost - I assume the accidental damage here happened on an viscous industrial polishing wheel and the unfortunate watch has had its insert buffed to fuck.

ElvisFreak
2 hours ago, BenjaminButton said:

He cannot be serious?

I think I can explain ....clearly descriptions of accidental damage. The insert on this timepiece has clearly been fucked with hot battery acid causing hideous corrosion and Elvis is asking us how to clean and repair it. Ghost - I assume the accidental damage here happened on an viscous industrial polishing wheel and the unfortunate watch has had its insert buffed to fuck.

:Jumpy:

MetalMickey

If my watch looked like that I'd throw it away and buy a new one

:p 

deju
4 hours ago, fatarms said:

Maybe he's looking for a ghost bezel "insert." :lol:

I actually have a gen 16750 from my wife's grandfather, worn basically every day in the Texas sun.  I wanted to change out the bezel insert about 6 years ago, but was fortunately talked out of it by members here.  The watch was never sent to Rolex for a service, so the dial remained as when it was originally purchased, so it's still the tritium matte dial which makes it more rare.  Rolex would change the dial out for a satin dial with hour markers that had metal outlines when it was sent in for service.  It's a 1983 Rolex GMT 16750 with all original parts with the exception of the crystal that was changed out by 10:10 when he was a trusted watchsmith here.  The crystal was pretty beat up, so I decided to change it out with a newer one.  I wore it to our wedding and wear it every anniversary, along with the occasional day here and there in the rotation.

15gz09u.jpg

Holy patina batman! :drool: 

if you did swap the bezel you would have to store the original for safe keeping. Even then why?! 

Vintage rolex’s With a story and age are the best. 

GingerApple
7 hours ago, ElvisFreak said:

DSCF8605.jpg

Good god man, you've killed Big Red!!!!!

BenjaminButton

Wash my mouth out. Having a spare moment whilst stirring my porridge on the hob this morning I was all of sudden taken by the vintage bug. An epiphanic moment, if you will. So I slipped of my sub, my best sub, and with a few magical scours and a little application of gentle heat......

............well may I present what I call the ‘Phoenix sub’.

ff351ceefd0bb37eecb8b195f8a49688.jpg

ShovelnTC
15 minutes ago, BenjaminButton said:

Wash my mouth out. Having a spare moment whilst stirring my porridge on the hob this morning I was all of sudden taken by the vintage bug. An epiphanic moment, if you will. So I slipped of my sub, my best sub, and with a few magical scours and a little application of gentle heat......

Oh lovely, just the right amount of Patina, although the WR may have been compromised.

BenjaminButton
Oh lovely, just the right amount of Patina, although the WR may have been compromised.

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. My house boy, Ting Tong, is currently having to type my responses as I had a slight accident when he applied gentle heat to the sub with a blow torch whilst I gripped it firmly - on a tea towel - on my lap. Who knew petrol could be so fierce.

RUSH2112
On 13/10/2018 at 05:58, BenjaminButton said:

There are those on the fora that would pay top dollar for this mod.

BenjaminButton
There are those on the fora that would pay top dollar for this mod.

Keep ‘em peeled on M2M.

onionbag

Nope, still none the wiser.

Weathered, worn, distressed. I understand those terms.

The idea of the Ghost bezel...how romantic....