hanski

Trusted Dealers - Please Read - Stop the glue!

hanski

Hello Trusted Dealers, 

If you ever have the opportunity to provide feedback to the factories making these watches, please politely ask that they STOP GLUING SWEEP HANDS TO THE MOVEMENT WHEELS! 

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration! 

NCRich

They did that for a while to the vintage subs cause they ordered the wrong sec hands.  What did you get that was glued?

hanski
3 hours ago, NCRich said:

They did that for a while to the vintage subs cause they ordered the wrong sec hands.  What did you get that was glued?

A JKF 1680 with 2813 movement. 

Rather then buy a new movement for Esslinger or something, I decided to salvage a sweep wheel (I suppose it’s really just a pinnion) from a spare broken 2813 I have. It’s just not a fun movement to work on. Plus I need to order a sweep hand...

FoxWilde
4 hours ago, mzinski said:

A JKF 1680 with 2813 movement. 

Rather then buy a new movement for Esslinger or something, I decided to salvage a sweep wheel (I suppose it’s really just a pinnion) from a spare broken 2813 I have. It’s just not a fun movement to work on. Plus I need to order a sweep hand...

Did that work?

hanski
53 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Did that work?

We’ll see. It seemed to reassembled fine once I figured out the trick of moving the click out of the way and hands set fine - gave it a full wind. I’ll check on it this evening when I get home. If it didn’t work I’m just going to buy a new movement - these simply are not pleasant movements to work on. I like ETA’s better. 

Luxuracer
14 hours ago, mzinski said:

Hello Trusted Dealers, 

If you ever have the opportunity to provide feedback to the factories making these watches, please politely ask that they STOP GLUING SWEEP HANDS TO THE MOVEMENT WHEELS! 

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration! 

Hi friend,

Sorry no clue no work. We must clue. You want new movement, we good price.

hanski
16 hours ago, NCRich said:

PS. Have you come up with a way to remove the glued hand without damaging the pinnion/wheel? I’d appreciate recommendations. 

NCRich
14 minutes ago, mzinski said:

PS. Have you come up with a way to remove the glued hand without damaging the pinnion/wheel? I’d appreciate recommendations. 

No, I got one off by using a soldering iron to heat it up.  It just popped off when I levered it.  I broke about 4 or 5 back in the day.  Maybe you got an old stock one.  Was it low beat or high beat?  The old glued ones were high beat.

RussP

I haven't understood a word in this entire thread.

Maybe just the 'no glue' bit............but the rest might as well be 'Greek' to me.

Glaude
16 hours ago, mzinski said:

If this is cyanoacrylate glue and the hands are bare metal or the colour doesn't matter : acetone dissolve cyanoacrylate (super blue) glue pretty well, may need to submerge the part (if possible) in the acetone for some time, heat also help loosen the bond of cyano glue

hanski
On 13/10/2018 at 12:39, FoxWilde said:

Did that work?

It worked! Keeping good time. Although,  I’m not sure it was worth my time with how cheap A2813 movements are...

BenjaminButton
If this is cyanoacrylate glue and the hands are bare metal or the colour doesn't matter : acetone dissolve cyanoacrylate (super blue) glue pretty well, may need to submerge the part (if possible) in the acetone for some time, heat also help loosen the bond of cyano glue

But don’t go mixing up heat and acetone

Glaude
2 minutes ago, BenjaminButton said:

But don’t go mixing up heat and acetone emoji6.pngemoji95.png

Shhhh don't tell them, l was waiting on GB to try it ! 
Seeing the last bleach fiasco, would have loved to see the outcome of this one ! 

Jibuti
47 minutes ago, BenjaminButton said:

But don’t go mixing up heat and acetone emoji6.pngemoji95.png

now you tell me....

BenjaminButton

Disco inferno.

Glaude

giphy.gif