MAJ75

My latest aquisition....the pride of my fleet.........

MAJ75

Over the last couple of years I have been monitoring with increasing alarm the rising price of vintage Rolex.

The sports models like Daytonas, Subs & others have moved so quickly they are already out of my reach from a financial point of view but that being said I had developed a real love for the the Day-Date or "President", fortunately this is in relative terms one of the references that seems more attainable. My real fear was that if I couldn't move relatively quickly then this one would follow suit & appreciate away from my reach.

Earlier this year I started selling off selected pieces to start building the funds required for this purchase. I had a very firm idea about the configuration of the watch that I wanted, it seems that there are literally hundreds of possibilties with this one certainly as far as dials are concerned.

A couple of weeks ago a beautiful example came available about an hour up the road from me, I quickly made arrangements to get in to see it as it is a rarer dial & the condition of the piece looked perfect (and importantly the price was right).

So it turns out that it was one owner from new & was purchased on Christmas eve 1974 (making it one week away from being a Birth year watch for me). It had only been worn on special occasions & not only did it have the original purchase receipt but also the original boxes & much of the other paperwork. I love the fact that it has this provenance which is missing with the majority of the pieces available.

I may in future years aquire a presidential bracelet but if I'm honest I much prefer it on leather as it is more comfortable & without a doubt less ostentatious. Because the bracelet is solid 18k gold it attracts around £3k to make a purchase.

I ordered a bespoke ABP alligator strap & its superior quality matches the timepiece perfectly.

I'm proud to present my President.

DD2.jpg
DD1.jpg
DD3.jpg
DD4.jpg
DD5.jpg
DD6.jpg
DD7.jpg
DD8.jpg
DD9.jpg

brang1

now THAT is a watch. congratulations 

Thommo82

Excuse my French, but that is Frogging beautiful!

Gorgeous dial an great strap choice too.

Bravo 

GingerApple

Stunning. 

Amazing bundle as well with the provenance etc.

It's incredible to think that it's 45 years old (or thereabouts), it looks in amazing nick.

Congratulations.

Foxindebox

That is lovely mate! Congrats :)

MAJ75
13 minutes ago, brang1 said:

now THAT is a watch. congratulations 

7 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Excuse my French, but that is Frogging beautiful!

Gorgeous dial an great strap choice too.

Bravo 

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm delighted with it.

I reckon the original owner was a shrewd negotiator as he got 12% off but even then £850 was a significant amount of money in 1974.

Its dificult to capture the real beauty &colour of the dial in photos its slate grey.........

MAJ75
3 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

Stunning. 

Amazing bundle as well with the provenance etc.

It's incredible to think that it's 45 years old (or thereabouts), it looks in amazing nick.

Congratulations.

Yeah I got extremely lucky, I think it was worn very sparingly. I love that the lume plots are all still intact & I don't think it has been polished much if at all.

1 minute ago, Foxindebox said:

That is lovely mate! Congrats :)

Cheers chief appreciated.

RussP

Beautiful.

And you got the box set, which is a great when you consider the age of the watch.

Welcome to the Vintage Rolex owners club, young man.

Well done!!!

MAJ75
4 minutes ago, RussP said:

Beautiful.

And you got the box set, which is a great when you consider the age of the watch.

Welcome to the Vintage Rolex owners club, young man.

Well done!!!

Cheers Russ,

Sadly I had to sell a few beloved pieces to make this one & I had to trade my 1978 6694 Oyster Precision but I don't think I will look back..................

rikracy

A stunner, indeed!!

Great combo!!!

Wear it with pride!!!:D

deju

Love it!!! Totally agree at the moment there are a few Rolex going vintage that creep out of reach very quickly, a wise sacrifice for your  collection, enjoy it! 

NCRich

Beautiful watch.  Well done.

RussP
20 minutes ago, MAJ75 said:

Cheers Russ,

Sadly I had to sell a few beloved pieces to make this one & I had to trade my 1978 6694 Oyster Precision but I don't think I will look back..................

Well,

I waited a very long time before I got my 1625 Thunderbird in exactly the configuration that I wanted.

Conservative estimates suggest that it has increased in value since my purchase.

The monetary value matters not at the end of the day, but the sense of accomplishment of acquiring something that you've had your heart set on...that's what makes it all worthwhile in the end.

Enjoy your acquisition with pride.

splke

Wow what a stunning piece to add to your already excellent collection. Classy watch for a really classy lad congratulations pal love it 

Dylan88888

Great pictures and lovely watch. Wear with pride. 

MAJ75
43 minutes ago, rikracy said:

A stunner, indeed!!

Great combo!!!

Wear it with pride!!!:D

Cheers bud, my watch purchasing days are over for the time being......

31 minutes ago, deju said:

Love it!!! Totally agree at the moment there are a few Rolex going vintage that creep out of reach very quickly, a wise sacrifice for your  collection, enjoy it! 

Thanks for the kind words, no regrets.

25 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Beautiful watch.  Well done.

Thanks Rich appreciated.

22 minutes ago, RussP said:

Well,

I waited a very long time before I got my 1625 Thunderbird in exactly the configuration that I wanted.

Conservative estimates suggest that it has increased in value since my purchase.

The monetary value matters not at the end of the day, but the sense of accomplishment of acquiring something that you've had your heart set on...that's what makes it all worthwhile in the end.

Enjoy your acquisition with pride.

Agree wholeheartedly with this Russ, I'm not really interested in it as an investment...I'd only sell if I hit extremely hard times............

7 minutes ago, splke said:

Wow what a stunning piece to add to your already excellent collection. Classy watch for a really classy lad congratulations pal love it 

Thanks a million mate..........

MAJ75
Just now, Dylan88888 said:

Great pictures and lovely watch. Wear with pride. 

Cheers bud, this came from just up the road from you!

Chixisigma

Man, that is is some combo. What a thing to have. Congrats!!

Cxs

MAJ75
13 minutes ago, Chixisigma said:

Man, that is is some combo. What a thing to have. Congrats!!

Cxs

Thanks for the words, the strap looks black in the pictures but it is dark brown.

The quick release spring bars are a nice touch when I feel like changing it up...............

blueoysterboy

Stunning, no need for a bracelet.   Exquisite elegance.

Chixisigma
22 minutes ago, MAJ75 said:

The quick release spring bars are a nice touch when I feel like changing it up.........

No way! What a coincidence. I literally just bought an Aquatico pilot blue angel with those same bars!

Bloody love watches

Cxs

BenjaminButton

It's a beautiful watch and although I may not go for gold or Rolexes -  but never say never -  that gold 'President' on that strap looks absolutely brilliant. And I'd have the bracelet on my wish list even if it's rarely worn. Collectors after all, one and all.

paccbet

Oooh that pan-pie dial is gorgeous 

MAJ75
3 hours ago, 0ysterboy said:

Stunning, no need for a bracelet.   Exquisite elegance.

Appreciate the words my friend.

2 hours ago, BenjaminButton said:

It's a beautiful watch and although I may not go for gold or Rolexes -  but never say never -  that gold 'President' on that strap looks absolutely brilliant. And I'd have the bracelet on my wish list even if it's rarely worn. Collectors after all, one and all.

Cheers Sir, In my mind it was necessary to make sure the strap complimented the head quality wise.

2 hours ago, paccbet said:

Oooh that pan-pie dial is gorgeous 

You can’t beat a good pie-pan, a big part of the appeal.

BM284

Bravo - that’s a beautiful watch! :clap: