xtrnisse

New and inexperienced seeking help

xtrnisse

Hi there!

I'm completely new to the forum, even if I've browsed around a bit and read most of the guides and reviews.
I've just bought a genuine Rolex Yachtmaster, and since this is quite an expensive piece i thought I'd get a replica as well, to wear in situations where I might be subjected to a higher risk of theft.

Although, I've never bought a replica before, I would greatly appreciate some advice.

I've compared a few Yachtmaster replicas, for example from Aootime and Perfect Clones.
Aootime: http://www.aootime07.com/Replica-Rolex-Yacht-Master--2016-SS-Gray-dial-A21J-on-SS-Bracelet-65019.html
Perfect Clones: https://www.pf-828.com/0-0-rymen00971-gmf-2016-basel-116622-904l-steel-yachtmaster-men-ss-dark-rhodium-sa-3135.html

Both of these are TD, although there is a quite significant difference in price. I see that there are different movements in the watches, and that PC claims that their version is made from 904L steel. Considering the dodgy nature of the business, can this be trusted? Even if the claims are only partially true (lower grade steel than 904L, but still better than 316L), is the 428 USD still a good value for money, or could i just as well go for the 138 USD-version?

Regards
D

Edited by xtrnisse

BadPickle

Depends on what your expectations are, if you put either of these side by side with your gen then there’ll be subtle differences.  Judging by the pics, the cheaper one is a different shade of blue secs that the gen, so there’s one difference straight away without even delving deeper into case shapes/engravings/bezel shapes etc. 

Glaude

Hi and welcome !

You seem to be informed indeed, that's a good thing !

You can't know for sure that this will be 904L Steel but if it is, it's, of course, not the same grade as the one used by Rolex. But this shouldn't matter as 904L isn't "better" than 316L it's just different in terms of property and shouldn't be a deciding point for you
With the usage intended for the rep I would advise going for the cheapest model since you'll most likely be wearing it only on very special occasion, so it doesn't really matter if it's a very very good rep or not.
The most expensive version is fitted with a problematic Asian movement, you can read about the SA3135 using the search box, whereas the first one is using a cheap but reliable DG2813, if it craps out for no particular reason, you can replace it for practically nothing !

deju

In situations where you may be in higher risk of theft, don't wear a rolex.

They will beat you up / stab you for a fake rolex just as fast.  

xtrnisse

Hehe, I may have expressed myself a bit too drastically when i said "higher risk of theft". I'm not going to Los Cabos, and even if I would I wound't be wearing a Rolex there. I'm simply differentiating between wearing my gen at work every day, and then switching to the rep if I'm going out drinking late at night. You never know what douchebag you might bump into, or you might just fall over on the street bumping the watch when drunk.

Even if I've read a lot of the threads (not all of course) I have a hard time determining if one dealer if overall better than the other in terms of quality. I read the movement summary post about the SA3135 being problematic, but then again that post was a couple of years old. Is it still the same? Nothing has improved? 

All the rhodium grey YM40:s I've been able to find at the TD's have the 3135 movement, except for the one at Aootime that has the 2813. Although that one has a significantly different colour on the sec... Decisions, decisions.... Which one would you pick yourselves?

Glaude

Still the same concerning the SA3135 but since you've read the movement post, you know what to expect, if you are ready to deal with issues if they occur, don't let the warning about this stop you :) 

The cheap one well, is cheap, if you are very specific on how your rep should look you may be better off spending more money on it.

In the end it comes down to : how much would I be bothered if this $XXX rep is damaged? You certainly be less with the cheap one, but perhaps not that much with the more expensive one.

I'm not a Rolex guy so I can't tell you what I would pick ;) 

bogdan.manea

Pick the ARF one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RepGuy

Flip a coin. As soon as the coin is in the air, you'll know which one you really want. 

Luxuracer
5 hours ago, xtrnisse said:

I've just bought a genuine Rolex Yachtmaster, and since this is quite an expensive piece i thought I'd get a replica as well, to wear in situations where I might be subjected to a higher risk of theft.

DO NOT buy the cheapie 21J .... You will be very DISAPPOINTED with the quality ... especially you have the gen. 

CurioLeo

Just so I get this clear....  you spent a lot of money to buy a Rolex and not a bog standard Rolex Sub at that, but the blinged up platinum dial version and now you are worried about wearing it while out drinking ???? Seems to me you are hanging out in the wrong circles but anyway.......get a $500 gen Seiko for when you go out to places frequented by "douchebags" as per your description.  You are allowed to own more than one watch, unless of course this is just a bullshit post to  cover your insecurity about buying a rep watch. 

McGilli
13 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

get a $500 gen Seiko for when you go out to places frequented by "douchebags" as per your description.

@xtrnisse I actually agree with that. Unless you really, really MUST be seen with a Rolex in all situations - wear your Genuine Rolex when appropriate, and spend the money you'd put towards a decent replica on a genuine watch that can take a swim, or have beer spilled on it, play racquetball, have a sauna etc (which is all stuff I'd never do with a replica).

But again, if you are dead set on always being seen with a Rolex - then go for a decent one.

Good luck, enjoy, regardless what you purchase.

Stewart

I would get a 44mm gold AP Offshore for hanging around douche bags.