Landlocked Surfer

Scrap it or Fix it?

Landlocked Surfer

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My Explorer 1 with 3132 movement had a bit of a moment earlier.

I was winding it up, I’d done around 20 turns when suddenly it’s not winding anymore. I felt it go unfortunately. So the crown will rotate in both directions but there is no resistance. It will click into position one to change the time but it’s not moving the hands.  It does hack the movement still. I can feel it click back into the winding position and it screws back down ok.

So two questions really:

1 should I hack it to prevent any further damage?

2 Should I get it fixed? If so any recommendations for a UK based person? Or is it consign it to the bin as being a Replica Rolex movement it’s going to be too damned difficult? 

Ok so there’s more than two there, any help gratefully received. The watch is in good condition and I really do like it

jdinaz

Wouldn't hurt to get a quote from an expert and then decide.

Rokerite

You could try a forum or rep friendly high street watchmaker but I believe the problem with the clone Rolex movements like 3132 is that there are no parts available. :blush:

ElvisFreak

seems like you over wounded and busted the main spring?

Landlocked Surfer
1 hour ago, Rokerite said:

You could try a forum or rep friendly high street watchmaker but I believe the problem with the clone Rolex movements like 3132 is that there are no parts available. :blush:

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone that will work on a rep. The only people I have used previously are the gen service channels. Any steer on who to speak to would be appreciated

52 minutes ago, ElvisFreak said:

seems like you over wounded and busted the main spring?

I don’t think so, and a broken mainspring wouldn’t stop you from adjusting the hands would it? 

NCRich

More than likely a keyless issue.  It could be something as simple as resetting the keyless, but I know absolutely nothing about that movement.

The real problem here is you got that movement rather than a reliable 2824 or 2836.  A familiar story around the boards.

Waspy

Two options:

1. If you browse M2M Feedback on this forum (you may need to go 3 or 4 pages in), you may find feedback for people who have carried out watch repairs on replicas.

However, most watchmakers are not keen on working on the Rolex replica movements, but they might take a look for you and it could be something very simple.

or

2. Get a new one with a 2824/2836 movement.

Option 1 is definitely worth a shot IMHO

black263

Did you ever take the back off and admire the Rolex like movement?  Did you ever take the back off and show the amazing replica to your admiring friends.  If the answer is no, then what was the point of paying extra for a movement which is effectively a throw-away if it breaks.  Put it in your watch box, admire it as an ornament, and buy another with a sensible movement for wearing.

CurioLeo

SA3132 or SH3132 ? If SH, you may be able to repair or maybe replace the broken part with a gen part. If SA, you will probably end up throwing it in the bin after considerable frustration trying to find someone to look at it for you.

Landlocked Surfer
1 hour ago, black263 said:

Did you ever take the back off and admire the Rolex like movement?  Did you ever take the back off and show the amazing replica to your admiring friends.  If the answer is no, then what was the point of paying extra for a movement which is effectively a throw-away if it breaks.  Put it in your watch box, admire it as an ornament, and buy another with a sensible movement for wearing.

I bought it here M2M and didn’t think too much about the movement. So maybe not too much of an expensive lesson  - everyday is a school day 

Landlocked Surfer
1 hour ago, CurioLeo said:

SA3132 or SH3132 ? If SH, you may be able to repair or maybe replace the broken part with a gen part. If SA, you will probably end up throwing it in the bin after considerable frustration trying to find someone to look at it for you.

Good question to which I’m not sure of the answer.

Think I’ll pop the back off and see what we can find. If it is largely a futile exercise trying to get it repaired I believe I cannot simply swap a 2824/2836 straight in, right?

Waspy
25 minutes ago, Landlocked Surfer said:

I believe I cannot simply swap a 2824/2836 straight in, right?

Right.

Landlocked Surfer

So I looked back to the Sales Thread. Apparently it’s an SA3132

I popped the back off, removed the oscillating weight to get a better view and removed what looks like a broken winding stem.

No thread is complete with pictures right? So here we go

259fhw9.jpg

21m9p1e.jpg

2nlhe8o.jpg

unfortunately there is no sign of the rest of it :-( 

And I don’t have the skills to continue beyond this point

NCRich

Its in the keyless.  You need a new stem and someone to remove that bit.  Where are you?

BadPickle

Did the keyless jam and snap the stem? Did it get all windy-crunchy? 

NCRich

Also, someone who knew what they were doing could pop a $70 movement and a new set of hands on that.   Voila, fixed.  But the stem is far cheaper.

Landlocked Surfer
10 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Its in the keyless.  You need a new stem and someone to remove that bit.  Where are you?

UK Sir

9 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Did the keyless jam and snap the stem? Did it get all windy-crunchy? 

It’s always been a little crunchy. More so than other reps I’ve got. I was always careful with this, winding it slowly. There was no warning, suddenly no longer doing anything, zero resistance just free wheeling 

Landlocked Surfer
17 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Also, someone who knew what they were doing could pop a $70 movement and a new set of hands on that.   Voila, fixed.  But the stem is far cheaper.

I was under the impression that a swap to a more reliable movement wasn’t an option? 

I think that a 2836 movement would need the dial feet relocating as well as the new hands etc. 

splke

you emailed nick at uk watch repairs ? he is a uk trusted tinkerer

Landlocked Surfer

Yep, just this minute Splke :)

NCRich
12 minutes ago, Landlocked Surfer said:

I was under the impression that a swap to a more reliable movement wasn’t an option? 

I think that a 2836 movement would need the dial feet relocating as well as the new hands etc. 

Relocating feet is dead easy if you know how.

BadPickle
2 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Relocating feet is dead easy if you know how.

It’s clear he doesn’t 

splke
7 minutes ago, Landlocked Surfer said:

Yep, just this minute Splke :)

cool be patient he takes a while to respond pretty busy chap

NCRich
1 minute ago, pickledbeetroot said:

It’s clear he doesn’t 

Then one should read.

BadPickle
9 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Then one should read.

Keep your dial bodge thread , i’d fix the keyless and put a new stem in. Easy and far better result.