McGilli's Ball Hydrocarbon Airborne Review

McGilli

BALL WATCH ENGINEER HYDROCARBON AIRBORNE MEN'S 42MM WATCH DM2076C-S1CAJ-BK

I INTRODUCE TO YOU, MY BALL HYDROCARBON WATCH

0ihxK.jpg

0iXIA.jpg

0iHiT.jpg

EPILOGUE:

Since buying my Deep Blue watch - I’ve worn it every single day - even if I did swap it for another watch for a few hours on occasion - but oh so rarely. 90+ days in a row up until now (and counting). The Deep Blue will continue to be my daily driver - for as long as I live probably. Seriously. I love it like no other watch I’ve ever owned. Damn, is this why I’m single? Why can’t I open up to women like this?

However, it has an attribute which I knew when buying it would cause an issue down the road. And that road has come to pass. The thickness - at 18.5mm - I cannot wear it with a dress shirt. As Fall and Winter arrive I will start dressing up more for theatre events, and a myriad of other outings which I’d love to have a nice Tritium watch on for.

I need a watch for these nights out. Something that says “I’m not a rich, attention whore wearing a fake Rolex, or maybe it’s genuine who knows”, but doesn’t say “I have mental issues and this plastic Rolex I bought from a guy selling speakers out of his van is pretty cool”. BTW Rolex owners, you’re not attention whores. Unless you want to be. That’s fine with me. Best friends.

THE CRITERIA:

1. It must have tritium tubes. In this case, T25, T or T100 will suffice.

2. It must be ~13mm or thinner.

3. It needs to look dressy - somewhat.

4. It needs to have Day and Date (I can never go back to a watch that doesn’t have both)

5. It must be sexy to my eyes.

6. I repeat - it must be sexy to me. 

THE USUAL SUSPECTS:

Now - funny enough, when I was researching tritium tube watches some months ago and found my Deep Blue, in that review - I listed all the major Tritium watch players and what I thought of their offerings at the time.

And at that time, about Ball I said (Copied from my Deep Blue Review): 

Ball watches. I really like the Hydrocarbon series. Hmmmm. Maybe.

Low and behold - what photo did I post at that time? The Hydrocarbon Airborne.

I did however, spend weeks searching the depth of the internet again in September 2018 - just in case there was another watch - but no - after my Deep Blue - this was the with that was next in line. The rightful heir, if you would.

BALL MIMICS INVICTA IN PRICING?

This is weird. Or, it was weird until I figured it out. Still weird though, but not anymore.

When you are looking at the prices of Ball watches - there are huge, HUGE discrepancies on the prices of their watches. I’m only bringing this up because Invicta gets a bad rap for this with regards to their MSRP — and what they actually sell for -  so it was confusing when looking online for the Ball watches…

Currently on the Ball website, this watch is listed at $4,399 USD - Or $17,943 CAD.

However, from my research. many (or maybe all) of Ball’s watches are limited runs, so many of them are out of stock, including this one. But - I found out that when Ball is creating a new watch - they do an online pre-order the year before, and you can get them at around 40% of the retail cost direct from Ball. They even show how much they will jack up the cost for MSRP at a later date - which is usually about 60% higher than pre-order cost.

Hold on. 60% + 40% only equals 95%. Not sure where the other 13% goes.

Searching online though, I have found this watch for a wide variety of prices. All brand new. From around that 40% range, up to full price. Maybe some were purchased at pre-order cost. Maybe some were purchased at MSRP (suckers). Regardless, with the exchange rate on the CDN $ it was a wallet raping. Always is. Seriously, you should see the size of the hole in my wallet now. Damn….

CHAPTER ONE

It’s my birthday and I’m at the shopping mall doing a little… shopping. I’d like to get myself something, something from Victoria’s Secret. I’m feeling feisty. As I’m browsing the panties section, cuz it’s going to be one of ‘those’ nights, I see a beautiful girl looking at me from a distance. Being me, I think to myself “Of course she is… I would be”. A Minute later she approaches me, and that’s when I see she has a name tag that reads “Jennifer”. She works here, ok, that’s a good start. Also, it’s a school day, and she’s not in school. Too old for school. That’s another good sign. She smiles and says “Hi, you’re probably not used to hearing this from a girl, but I like Balls, and I’m wondering if I could get a closer look at yours?”

Now, this isn’t an unusual request when you look like you’re an actor from Sons Of Anarchy, Oz, Prison Break, Fight Club, every Guy Ritchie film, have actually led girls in Las Vegas to believe you were in the X-Files, and have had your near nude photos compared favourably to those of a very, very famous retired Manchester United football star. L.A. Galaxy. Really? Anyways, I’m very humble.

So as I started unzipping my pants, these two other girls in the store, who obviously should have been in school started screaming. Then Jennifer started yelling at me asking what I was doing. Everyone was yelling, and so I started yelling to be heard over them “You said you want to see my balls?!?”. Mall security was just passing by on their Segway at that time, and it wasn’t long before I was removed from the mall. Forever apparently. It’s only been a few weeks though, it’s going to take me a long time to test out the ‘forever’ part. But I will. Check back for an update on that. In forever.

DETAILS OF THE WATCH

Engineer Hydrocarbon

Airborne

DM2076C-S1CAJ-BK

FEATURES

Movement

Automatic caliber BALL RR1102-CSL
Chronometer certified COSC
Patented SpringLOCK® anti-shock system

Functions

31 micro gas tubes on hour, minute, second hands and dial for night reading capability
Hours, minutes, sweep seconds, day and date

Shock resistance

5,000Gs

Water resistance

120m/390ft

Antimagnetic

4,800A/m

Case

Stainless steel
Ø 42 mm, height 13.85 mm
Top ceramic luminous unidirectional rotating bezel
Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
Patented crown protection system

Band

Tapered stainless steel bracelet with patented folding buckle & extension system and rubber strap with standard buckle in a special boxset

Dial

Black

CHAPTER TWO

Now. My mother knows I love watches. She might make a comment if she likes it when we’re out for dinner, but by no means does she know anything about watches. I still like to show them to her. Luckily, I have a friend who had recently started working in a swanky jewelry shop downtown. So, I took my mom out for lunch one day and then we took a stroll down by the shop because I told her I wanted to show her some of the great watches there. There was a chill in the air, like how the red part of a candy cane is… red. And the rest isn’t. The chill was the red. Swirling.

Now, this is the kind of place where you have to press a buzzer at the front of the all glass facade of the store, while you stand outside and then they will buzz you in - if you look like a human being - or talk to you on the intercom first - if you look like some sort of threat. I’m with my mom, so you think they’d buzz us in, but no. I’m sure it was because of my tattoos, and instead - they decide to use the intercom. Ah yes, racial profiling because of my black skin. Awesome.

“Can we help you sir?”

Yes, is Steven working today?

“No, I’m sorry he isn’t, is there anything we could help you with?”

There were two gentlemen and a woman working in the store, as well as two probable customers, now all looking at me as I guess the intercom inside is loud enough  to be heard all through the store.

No problem I say, I would like to come in to show my mom your Balls.

Looking back - I should have seen the signs. Like when the woman customer put her hand to her mouth and apparently gasped. And just the blank stares I got… So, the fellow that was talking to me did the quirkiest thing. He actually reached down to adjust his balls. It was so fast, but I saw it. Then, just as quickly he reached up and adjusted his neck tie. That’s how I knew this was all going to shit fast.

“Excuse me?”

Yeah my friend Steven that works here told me if I came down you’d take all your Balls out for me, that’s why I brought my mom.

“Sir that’s highly inappropriate..”

What?! Because you won’t let me in? Fine then, can you just pull em out from behind the counter so my mom can see them from here? You do have Balls right?

In hindsight, I’m glad my mother is hard of hearing. Not only did she not hear any of that conversation, but she didn’t hear the police car pull up behind us either and the cop using the loudspeaker to say (From the comfort of his cruiser) “Put your filthy hands up you perverted cocksucker and hug the ground cock side down”. 

That was how I almost got arrested that week. Again.

THE FULL PACKAGE

The watch I ordered was brand new. It came in a box with some stuff I don’t care about. It’s only now - looking back that I realize how little I cared about the package and all the cards and papers in it. I honestly, did not really look at any of it. Kind of weird. Usually when I pay decent cash on something - I will read every bit of manual, or warranty just to feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. Not this time.

0ggHf.jpg

0gSeX.jpg

0ghDp.jpg

0gdNs.jpg

0gHyh.jpg

0gOLD.jpg

So. I’ve never seen this before - but - ANTI MOLD CHIP

0g3kU.jpg

CHAPTER THREE

It’s a beautifully sunny summer Sunday morning and I find myself in church. Now, I’m absolutely not going to bring religion into my reviews, unless I already did? I don’t think so. I can say church right? So, normally I’d never find myself in a church except it turns out that a pastor, or priest (if that’s what he/they are called) was selling some Ball watches, so he told me. We’d met online using a chatting app called Sinner. I’m always very careful with online chatting apps and meeting strangers. I  make sure my username is nothing like me in real life. So, my username for Sinner is LittleBilly2008. See? It makes it seem like I was born in 2008, but I wasn’t!!! It’s classic hiding techniques I learned in an online course called “How to protect your identity when you are surfing the Dark Web”. I always surf the web at night, when it’s dark, so that’s why I took that course and it was worth the 30 bitcoins.

Ok so I’m in church. I had been told that after the sermon, I should go to the confession booth and he would meet me in there. I’ve never been to one before, so I was nervous, but only because I already have so many watches, and maybe the higher power from this church might think I’m a possession glutton or something. And I heard that possessions are a sin - or is it if a demon possesses you, then it’s a sin? I think. Ok, sorry I keep getting sidetracked. We had chatted online, and I remember I had posted Looking for Balls and this fellow had responded saying I could check his out if I wanted. When I asked him how much he wanted for them, he said free! Wow. This was a great find! I’d been prepared to pay thousands of dollars, and here, I was going to get some Balls for free!

As people were leaving down the centre isle of the old church, I made my way up and to the right to the confession booth. I’m claustrophobic. But that won’t matter one bit in this story, just so you know. I went into the booth, and a sliding thing went up and I couldn’t really see the fellow on the other side. But a soothing, melancholy voice found its way to me “What troubles you my child?” And so I knew it was him, because remember I had tricked him that my birthday was 2008! I replied, “Hi, I’m here to see your Balls.” to which he replied “Yes my child, I’ve been waiting for you. I hope you understand that the journey for you starts now. With your grace, I will achieve a status unheard of, I will go beyond this time, and you will be my catalyst”. I yawned, I was already so bored. He continued and said something about money is not needed. Something about the sacred unity of the ring. He said “Side by side, no one will stand to us, but kneel, kneel in obedience everlasting. For we will be all. Unless Jeez, that bastard should appear, and Lo, then behold his mighty grasp upon your soul of souls hence shall be damned. Now, would you like to come into my office to see my balls?” And that is when I knew he was lying! Did you see it?!?! I was spelling them Balls, with a capital B! He was using a lowercase b and I think he meant testicles, and that was so uncool. Don’t ask me how I can tell when someone is speaking out loud if they are using capital letters our not, just suspend your disbelief a little longer… 

So I shouted “No, I don’t want to see your nuts!” and I ran out crying, running to my car with tears rolling down my cheeks. I fumbled with my keys, dropping them twice before I remembered I don’t need keys to open the door on my car. I pressed the button on the key fob and fell into my seat, slamming the door behind me. The silence was loud, but not as loud as my sobbing. I sat in my car for a moment and tasted the salt from my tears as they rolled over my top lip before finding their way into my mouth. Then I started the car and drove slowly through the parking lot towards the exit. One final look in the rearview mirror and I saw that guy, it must have been him, running after me shaking his fist. He was yelling, trying to tell me something. He didn’t look angry, he looked scared. And suddenly, I don’t know why but I got scared. I saw him fall to his knees, trying to warn me about something. He was pointing to the ground with one arm, and shaking his fist with his other. My fear kept growing, I needed to know what he was saying, but I was growing cold with fear. Goose pimples erupted on my flesh, I felt what I thought was breath on the nape of my neck and I started to shiver as if with the chills of an icy cold draft. But it was sunny, and warm. Something was wrong. I’d missed something. I’d missed a detail I needed in order to avoid what was waiting for me, ahead of me in time. If only I’d listened to him more closely when I had the chance.

THE MOVEMENT

I’m not going to open the back on this watch - so everything following is what I’ve garnered from the Internet.

The Ball RR1102-CSL movement is their re-working of the Swiss ETA 2836-2.

http://www.ballwatch.com/global/images/technology/movement/L_RR1102.jpg

BALL Caliber RR1102

Swiss made mechanical movement

Dimensions: Ø 25.6mm, height 5.05mm

Functions: Hours, minutes, sweep seconds, day and date

Winding: Automatic

Vibrations: 28,800vph, 4Hz

Power reserve: 38 hours

Jewels: 25 or 26 (depending on the execution)

You can find out more about their movements here at their official site:

https://www.ballwatch.com/global/en/technology/movement---41.html

and some great info on all  their movements here:

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Ball_calibres

SPRINGLOCK

From what I gather, the Hydrocarbon Engineer Airborne was one of three watches to first utilize the Springlock anti-shock system for the movement. It’s an upgrade done to the ETA 2836-2 that protects the balance spring against shock.  

http://quillandpad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SpringLOCK®-2.jpg[/img]

http://quillandpad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SpringLOCK®-4.jpg[/img]

You can read about it many places online. As this watch is meant to be worn outdoors, it makes sense. They even sell it as a feature for drummers. Cool enough for me. I’ll be telling my drummer about this - while I play my guitar cranked to 11. He’ll never hear me. 

CHAPTER FOUR

So, I’m walking through a children’s playground.

There are about 25 kids playing. And all their parents of course. Mostly mothers, henning around as protective mothers do. It’s a great day and I had actually chosen this place to meet someone from Craigslist. This guy had been advertising some Ball watches. He said he had two, and while I was eager to see them, the whole thing was a little sketchy. First, I found out the guy was a 14 year old boy, and second - well - he said he didn’t have any receipts. I didn’t like the sound of that at all. However, all of my years in law enforcement has come in handy before, and it would again. That’s how I new this was the best place to hold this meeting.

So I’m sitting on a bench. I’m the first to admit, some moms are very pretty. And, because not all wear rings on their fingers, you never know, they could be single. Maybe divorced, maybe never even married, so I keep my options open as I don’t discriminate. Hey, someone invented the word that starts with a M and ends with a F for a reason, It wasn’t me, but it might have even been a woman. I don’t judge. I’m deep in this thought, and I mean deep, when I see a few of the moms checking me out. Of course they are. I would be too. But we know that already. Then one approaches. She was really pretty. She kind of looked like Molly Ringwood from Sixteen Candles, just a little older looking though. Her pink blouse with the letter C pendant hanging from her silver necklace caught my eye. I get ready to be asked on a date when she asks “Hi, is your child here? Playing?”. Weird pickup line… 

No, actually I’m here alone just waiting for someone.

“Oh, it just seems strange that you’re waiting here with all these children playing”

Oh no! I’m sorry, it’s because I wanted a safe place for a transaction I’ve arranged! I met this young boy online, and he agreed to meet me here so he could show me his Balls - He was worried about coming here but I told him I’d prefer if it was at a playground with lots of children around as that just felt more comfortable.

“~~~~~~~~~ (she looked like a ghost)

Honest, see here’s the money I’ll pay him if I like what I see.

And so I pulled out $2,000 in $100 bills to show her. And these bills were crisp. Canadian money, since it’s made of mylar is much, much nicer, cleaner and more crisp (crisper?) that any paper based money available. Ok, back to the story:

It was probably less than 6 seconds before a couple of the dads, and most of the moms stared punching and kicking me and yelling horrible things like:

“You want balls? Why don’t you go fucking suck your own balls after I've kicked them up your ass?!”

Eventually, in between kicks I was able to shout

But I don’t have any!

And the kicks stopped, and there was this really, weird vibe and so in hopes of stopping the madness I just continued

The boy said his Balls are new, never been used before and I’d be the first to touch them - that’s the only reason I’m here!

Somehow this did not help me. The beating continued.

Until the police arrived. I never did get to check out those Balls….

THE BRACELET

First of all. You know the golden rule.

When you buy a replica - check all of the screws!!!!!

Apparently, that is the same for gens. As I was taking photos I heard something drop, but had no idea what it was, or where, until much later when I was actually resizing the bracelet and noticed a pin was hanging out. Luckily, I found this sucker in the living room.

0gmD8.jpg

Resizing is thankfully simple with the two sides screws.

0inVG.jpg

I apologize.

These photos were taken literally right out of the box after removing a little wrap from the bracelet. SO, there is still some fuzz, or little pieces of protective wrap in places.

0iMgq.jpg

0isI6.jpg

0i2O0.jpg

0iPsF.jpg

0i8iI.jpg

0ifVr.jpg

0iiIo.jpg

0iSOL.jpg

CHAPTER FIVE

I’m volunteering at this homeless shelter one night. The manager, who I’ve known a few years is also a fan of watches - although we’d never really talked about them too much. However, once I told him I’d ordered a Ball watch he let me know that he has one too. Had it for over ten years he said. How about when I get mine, I wear it in one night, and he’ll make sure to wear his - he asks. I say no problem, sounds good. But he got pretty serious then and said “Just make sure you wear long sleeves, it’s not right to be flashing jewelry around the shelter”. Of course, I’m a sensitive guy. And some of the women at the shelter are fucking sexy.

Once I had the watch, I made the time to head down there to meet him. I couldn’t volunteer that night since I had my ASL classes starting that week and would be too late for any available shifts. So, on the way home I dropped in, but went through the back door. People there kind of knew me, so it wasn’t a problem. I saw my friend in his office and went in and sat down in the corner chair. There was no door on the office, as they have an ‘open door’ policy so as not to alienate anyone. The public washroom is down the hall, just past his office. You can often smell urine, and sometimes even shit from down the hall. Not everyone makes it to the toilet in time. Not everyone even tries to make it to the toilet.

We catch up a bit, then all of a sudden, Hobo Joe is standing in front of the office doorway. Just standing there. Creepy like. Real creepy. You see, Hobo Joe’s been living on the streets now for almost five years. He always refuses to stay overnight in a shelter, and so it’s honestly been about five years and a day since his last shower. Same for a haircut, and a shave. And changing his clothes. And this guy never makes it to the toilet in time.

I know, Hobo Joe sounds offensive, but no one knows his real name since he never talks. Ever. Now, from out of nowhere, he unzips his pants and pulls his balls out. I’m like “What the fuq are you doing Joe?” and he’s got them in a one hand stranglehold, and starts flopping them up and down. My buddy gets up, and starts making his way to the door to take care of the situation when Hobo Joe says “Goddamn balls in my soup tonight! And they weren’t even mine!”. 

That really upset me. I don’t want to hear about his soup. Disgusting. I hate soup. I got up walked toward him cutting gin front of my friend, grabbed Joe by his shoulders, looked him dead in his eye, since he only has one since the other was supposedly pecked out and eaten by a crow one night when he fell asleep on the curb with his eyes open. And in a clam voice I said “You dirty bastard. You’ve totally ruined the joke I was going to write for this section of my watch review. Do you know that? Do you even understand how hard it was to come up with a hilarious scenario about homeless people and watches? And now, it’s ruined…”

So I did to him, what I learned about parenting from watching “Diary Of A Wimpy Kid”. Instead of being angry - I told him I was disappointed. It’s far more effective, trust me. Then I just looked away from him, let go, slowly walked away and I sat back down. Homeless Joe slowly backed up until he hit the wall on the other side of the hall, and if I’d even bothered to look I would have seen a tear break free of his one good eye and run down his cheek before getting lost in the hairs of his beard. But I didn’t, and so I never saw that.

No one ever saw Hobo Joe again after that. Some people said he caught the first empty railcar he could find and rode it out cross the country in search of a better life. Some people said he drowned, face down in his own piss one night. I don’t believe that one. At least, I don’t think I do. I like to believe that he found that railcar, or even a wife and a job, and he found that better life somewhere. And that’s how Hobo Joe ruined this chapter of my review. Blame him.

THE CASE / BEZEL ETC

0imxf.jpg

0i3XQ.jpg

CASE BACK

I do with there was a see through case back. Something about paying the money for a genuine Swiss movement and you’d like to be able to see it.

0FQJ3.jpg

0F1F8.jpg

THE CROWN

Protected within a crown guard lies the crown. A push of the pin will release the guard which will swing away allowing you access to set the time etc.

0iAZX.jpg

0SLPg.jpg

THE BEZEL

Beautifully done with Luminova? indices built in. It was important to me to not have a standard diving bezel, like my Deep Blue with the hash marks from 0 - 15. This, in my opinion is a little more elegant which is what I was looking for.

0Fp2D.jpg

0FEXh.jpg

THE LUGS

Brushed on top, polished on the sides with a double screw pin system, which I’ve never had on a watch before.

0FDFp.jpg

0FuJs.jpg

CHAPTER SIX 

This one day, I found myself in a pre-school … 

Just joking. Shock value, you know?

THE DIAL ET ALL

DIAL

Some great detail going on there. And in case you didn’t notice, this watch is only T25. But more on that later

0FvuU.jpg

AROUND THE DIAL

Checkerboard? Checkered flag? However you call it - this was apparently the first time it had appeared on a Hydrocarbon watch.

0FiSG.jpg

0FTQq.jpg

DATE WINDOWS

0Feud.jpg

MARKERS

The draw of the dial markers is obviously the 3, 6, 9 and 12 tritium tubes. Easily legible from any angle or direction.

0Ff2a.jpg

0FPtg.jpg

0FN6y.jpg

TRITIUM TUBES

0Fh36.jpg

HANDS

These shaped hands, are what I’ve come to call Star Destroyer hands - based of course off the Imperial Star Destroyer in Star Wars. Each hand has a tritium gas tube. The back end of the second hand is adorned with the script letters RR, for Rail Road. Which is actually how Ball got started. But that’s a story for someone who wants to learn you something. Not here.

Also - the way the hands are mirrored, are very effective at catching the light in otherwise dim situations and help disability.

0F9QR.jpg

0FsSZ.jpg

0StKa.jpg

CHAPTER SEVEN

**WARNING - IF YOU ARE HOMOPHOBIC THEN F*** OFF TO THE NEXT CHAPTER**

I used to know a lot of homosexual men.

When I was DJ’ing at clubs and local parties I actually preferred the gay clubs/scene. Reason being that many of my friends were gay, guys would give me whatever I wanted - being as sexy as I am - and they were genuinely more fun to party with than straight me, and funny enough it was a great way to meet really hot girls. Gay guys always have hot, sexy girls as friends - who liked dancing with sexy guys with no shirts on. Win win.

Anyways, recently one of my friends I kept in contact with, who is a watch aficionado invited me to go and meet him and some of his friends a place downtown known for its gayness. Cool with me. I wouldn’t know anyone except my friend, but no worries. Gay guys love me cuz they love what they can’t have. That - was one of the most important things I ever learned. A sexy straight man in a gay world can live like royalty.

Anyways, I get there at the scheduled time and as I’m parking I get a text from my friend saying he’s stuck in traffic cuz there was a Maple Leafs game on down at the Garden, so he’d be a little late. He said to go in, look for a booth with two guys - both with black arm-bands on their left arm. Now, if you don’t know the male gay community, or the “Gay hanky codes” - look at this first:

https://user.xmission.com/~trevin/hanky.html

I’ve known men with many colours, on both sides - and while it’s usually back pockets - in a setting like this it’s on the arms - for advertising purposes, as it were.

I went inside, and was able to spot them pretty easily. Both handsome men who, honestly you probably would never suspect of being gay. Black on the left usually appear more straight externally in my experience. So I went over, introduced myself and we all started chatting over drinks. Had another text from my friend saying still stuck in the traffic, be there in a while.

So. Let’s cut to the chase. You want to know how I get arrested right?

My friend, you see, didn’t tell his friends anything about watches. These guys it turned out could care less about watches (I found this out later). So, when one of the guys asked me what I’m into these days I replied “Balls. Really liking them as of late.” He followed that up with “Oh, so what’s your favourite thing to do with them?” and while this seemed a little odd I replied “Well since getting into them, I just love coming out to places like this to show them, check out what other guys have and compare. I like big heavy ones, and I know some guys like smaller ones.”

The rest is pretty obvious from here. The one other fellow asked “Will you show me?” and when I said for sure and made a move to lift my sleeve he said “Not here silly, in the bathroom”.

Now. I’ve been in a bathroom stall, with many, many men before. All gay of course. Because being in a stall with a straight guy would be fucking awkward. This is all back in my DJ days of course - and it was the preferred method of … consuming party favours. People pack into the stalls - just in case some Narc was infiltrating the club that night. You never hear any toilets flushing.

But I knew - there was no reason to get into  a stall to look at watches, so when we walked into the bathroom, and the two guys gently took my arm and started steering me towards the stalls I thought ‘Ohhhhh… Balls - I think I’ve made a big mistake’.

The next part wasn’t my fault. When I pivoted on my right leg to stop and shake his arm off, I slipped as the floor was wet and I ended up flailing an arm - and slapping one of the guys. You remember those black arm bands? Yeah… Big mistake, that slap, because they took it as a sign that I wanted to get pounded. And not by their fists. And I hate to admit it, but the only way to stop the entire thing was to kick one of them in the balls - which was when another fellow walked in - and thought it was time to call 0118-999-881-999-119-725-3. The police arrived pretty fast, as I guess this place is notorious for… Well… ball related stuff. Great guys though!

WEIGHT AND SIZE

This will be swapping out with my Deep Blue Recon, which is a 46mm case.

DEEP BLUE

2hx4o3m.jpg

BALL HYDROCARBON

0Fj90.jpg

SIZE COMPARISON 

0FL6F.jpg

CHAPTER EIGHT

I met this girl on OKCupid online dating. We hit it off over chat, and decided to go out for drinks. She explained first that she’d been burned too many times by assholes who were perverts, just wanting sex, or just talking about it all the time in hopes of getting it. I told her I was a virgin, so there was no worry. She was so relieved! We agreed to meet and I signed off my computer. I told my son I was heading out for the night and not to wait up for me.

We met up outside the bar, then went in and sat down. Instantly, we had a great connection. I was really looking forward to a nice, simple yet enjoyable date. Right then my phone beeped, so I apologized and I saw it was from Ebay - showing me my daily list of Ball watches I had been keeping an eye on. I said “Nice! Check these Balls out…” and that was the last I ever saw, or heard from her. 

IN THE DARK

Obviously one of the draw for me is the ability to use this watch in the middle of the night. And cool photos.

0F4CI.jpg

0FXSr.jpg

0Fm3o.jpg

CHAPTER NINE

I read that “A man who has Balls, is a man who has class” and I believe it. I also read that “A man who has balls out in class, is a man who will be arrested” - and I believe that too. Well… Ok. I didn’t read that last one. But it is true. Trust me.

SOME FINAL, PARTING, SEXY PHOTOS

0SVEK.jpg

0FA9L.jpg

0SuTe.jpg

0SKCT.jpg

0Sp3A.jpg

CHAPTER TEN

Have you all heard of “The League”? It’s some bullshit social connecting, dating app that is invite only for wealthy and despicable gold diggers. It is everything about people, and meeting people that I despise. I believe in connection. Feelings. That app is all about - wealth, possessions - before you even meet anyone. Ugh. However, it did put me on a path. And that path was good. Until it led me astray, and ended in a visit to the hospital, 7 hours of surgery and 8 months of recovery…

You see, in my quest to find other watch minded elitist snobs I discovered my home city is privy to some social clubs of which I was excited to dive in to, learn about and hopefully join up with. There are the Rollers, who I assume are all about Rolex. And there are the Ballers, who I assume are all about Ball watches.

Looking back, I guess it’s important to understand how I came to know about these social clubs. It was through spray paint. You see, downtown, in the back alleys (When I’m conducting business, and meeting girlfriends) I would see either Rollers spray painted in red in certain parts of the town, usually the east side of town. And Ballers, well they obviously met in the west side of town - denoted by the constant blue paint of their calling cards around the various derelict buildings. Sometimes though these calling signs were out on public buildings and there would be police and news crews and yellow tape but that never looked exciting to me. I wanted some watch action.

I should have paid attention when I would walk down those alleyways, or those streets asking the people “Hey, You a Roller?” and they would scramble to get up, fall over, then crawl away in to the shadows. It’s like a Hobo Joe family reunion in those parts of town. But, no one would admit to being in the clubs. So, I did what we all do. A search on the internet showed that many of the club members had gone to jail for a bunch of stuff like robbery, gang related violence, homicide, drug trafficking etc. I was happy to read that all the bad members had been kicked out of the clubs. Why would those type of people even join a watch wearers club in the first place? So stupid. More room for me though! I was more excited than ever to join!

Some of you might be old enough to remember Rodney King. After the riots in L.A. that occurred because of that, I drive my car down there to check it out. I had a ’86 Camaro at the time, and a friend went with me. On the way down, we stopped at Tower Records in Seattle and picked up Body Count’s (Ice T) new album Cop Killer.  I remember - I can still see it - driving down Compton Avenue in Los Angeles. I’d only ever seen it in music videos by NWA etc. And I shit you not - A car that drove towards us started flashing its headlights. It was a huge ass boat, probably a 4 door Parisienne from the 60’s. I’d heard about the  Crips and the Bloods, and the entire car flashing it’s lights at you looking for a response so they have a target to kill myth. We did not flash the lights back, kept driving and then just drove out of town to towards Disneyland. Young at heart. Always.

Ok. So where was I with my Ball watch sorry… Fuck it, I’m tired. Going to bed. True story though.

IN CLOSING AND MY OBSERVATIONS ABOUT TRITIUM STRENGTH

I’m happy.

I’d say it’s closest to my Rolex SeaDweller in size and feel - and that’s a good thing.

KEEPING TIME

Just a small thing, but I’ve started just using TIME.IS for checking how my watches keep time. It’s simple, and easy to check. I just hack the moment on an hour - then start in line with real time. Check a day or two later. 

So far, this is the best watch I’ve ever had with regards to keeping time. After a 48 hour timing period it has gained/lost practically zero seconds. Like - it's so small an amount if it's happening.

But I want to pass on something I’ve learned about Tritium and the designations T, T25, T100 because there is so much confusion out there.

Some say the number, is a total sum of the tritium on a watch, while others say it’s the total amount per tube.

Some people think then, that a T100 watch, with 100 tubes will be extremely weak. Basically T1 per tube. Others say that it would be T100 per tube x 100 making it the power of T10,000.

Some people say that a Ball T25 is as strong, or stronger than a T100 from competing companies. And don’t get me started on just the T designation. That’s a shit show with everyones opinions.

From my experience, and I now have 4 tritium watches - the designation is per tube.

This Ball T25, is the same strength as my Carnival T25. My Deep Blue T100 is so, so much brighter.

So if tritium watches appeal to you, and you want brighter, go for T100. However, trust me - it is bright. And beautiful. 

For a more subtle glow, go for T25.

TRITIUM COMPARISON

CARNIVAL T25, BALL HYDROCARBON, CARNIVAL T25, DEEP BLUE RECON

0SjaR.jpg

Goodbye. Forever. Again.

Boycie

Fantastic review, a great Sunday read :)

Hope you enjoy my Balls, very underrated brand IMHO and I’m in the hunt for a Hydrocarbon Aero GMT as we speak........

0TjZF.jpg

Glaude

:canada: Congrats on this review ! 

I'll have to admit, I didn't read all the intermediate chapter, some of them entirely and some just had only a quick global read but I have to say, this new format alternating pure technical observations with some funny and goofy paragraph, works very well ! 

You had built up some much before the release of this review that I was truly expecting some pure McGilli content and you still manage to surprise me ! This will sadly come only in second place for my favourite review from you, first is still the blood dial Rolex.

I have to ask you a question that I have for a very long time now : why the obsession with lumed watches ? You seem to need it, why ?

The guilloche pattern on the dial make it classy with the double RR at the counter balance of the second hand and yet with the addition of those tritium tubes you maintain a rugged look that suits you perfectly !

Question about Tritium tube : Are they made by Ball or sourced externally ? Could they make them in one tube bend in the form of the numbers or is this a deliberate move to make the number more "digital" looking ?

Junior88

You magnificent bastard. 

I have no Balls. There. I said it. I. Have. No. Balls.

Now I'm going to have to change that. Your fault. 

I'm sending my wife to deal with you. 

RUN. 

RepGuy

You're a tritium whore :D

Nice pickup though, Ball is a great brand to own.

Thommo82

So all I got from that review was that originally you had no balls, and now you have one. 

Is this correct?

Chixisigma

So much content. I can't help but be impressed at the commitment. Thank you for contributing, big fella!

Btw, would you describe yourself as a sexy man? I couldn't tell...

Cxs

McGilli
2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Hope you enjoy my Balls, very underrated brand IMHO and I’m in the hunt for a Hydrocarbon Aero GMT as we speak........

You sir, have lovely Balls.

Definitely a brand that's not mentioned much around here - which suits me. Gotta stand out a bit :) Just checking out the Aero GMT, and I'm like "Is this the 'good pricing' or the 'bad pricing' hahah have to research that now with Ball for any model I'd be interested in.

Your GMY model - I actually had never seen tritium tubes like that until I came across Vostok watches when searching for tritium brands. I really like that orientation, looks great!

McGilli
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

This will sadly come only in second place for my favourite review from you, first is still the blood dial Rolex.

Ahhhh yes. My 4th review, the Blood Dial Rolex. Probably still my favourite too. But for me it's because it was a FU to Rolex, and Rolex purists. Haha I was sick of (My first 3 reviews) playing it safe. That watch is still - so my style - it just helped break me out of that shell. Good times ever since!

2 hours ago, Glaude said:

Question about Tritium tube : Are they made by Ball or sourced externally ? Could they make them in one tube bend in the form of the numbers or is this a deliberate move to make the number more "digital" looking ?

Ball, like Deep Blue and most others import their tritium tubes from MB Microtek in Switzerland. I'd linked to them in my Deep Blue review, but here it is again:

http://www.mbmicrotec.com/en/

I too always wonder why the tubes are only straight - never curved. I don't have an answer to that.... Would be so cool though... If the numbers were like on a PAM.

2 hours ago, Glaude said:

why the obsession with lumed watches ? You seem to need it, why ?

Funny you should ask.

I'm not going to say right now. It's funny you ask though because when I started this review - I actually typed out an entire story of exactly why I must have a watch I can read in the middle of the night. It got cut from the review (Lots gets cut - if you think this review is long - hahaha - you should see the Director's Extended Special Edition I could make of my reviews). I'm going to save it though for another time. I will answer that one day though...

Thanks Glaude!

2 hours ago, Junior88 said:

I. Have. No. Balls.

Now I'm going to have to change that.

Just remember....

If you're 'borrowing' balls from another guy, just for the night. It doesn't count. You'll still have no balls later.

Hang on... I think I missed a capital B.

Haha oh well too lazy to change my reply now!

McGilli
2 hours ago, Juggalo said:

Ball is a great brand to own.

I agree!

Only had it a bit - but I'm really happy with my decision. Definitely a brand I'm going to keep my eyes open for, when it comes to their new yearly releases.

Tritium whore? Great compliment thank you!

1 hour ago, Thommo82 said:

So all I got from that review was that originally you had no balls, and now you have one. 

Is this correct?

At this point - I'm so done with looking for the capitalization on the 'b'b that I'm just going to say yes, you are right, now I only have one ball. I think. Trust me, when you ride a bike as much as I do - sometimes it feels like you have zero. All the time.

McGilli
1 hour ago, Chixisigma said:

So much content. I can't help but be impressed at the commitment.

As I mentioned to Glaude, you should see the cutting room floor. Lots of material gets trimmed just so I don't overload RWG servers trying to process a post that big. Still though, writing reviews for watches is actually, probably one of the funnest things for me. So, it just kind of piles up. Before I know it - boom, 1,000 / 2,000+ words etc. And that's before I get the watch.

I had almost 6,000 words typed before I even got the watch. Hahah and after I got it - I probably added another 500 :) Cuz, priorities.

Glaude
17 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Ball, like Deep Blue and most others import their tritium tubes from MB Microtek in Switzerland. I'd linked to them in my Deep Blue review, but here it is again:

http://www.mbmicrotec.com/en/

I too always wonder why the tubes are only straight - never curved. I don't have an answer to that.... Would be so cool though... If the numbers were like on a PAM.

Seems we are not the only one to wonder why (lalalala) :

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/tritium-why-not-curved-457731.html

Seems to be a technical challenge to avoid crimping the tiny tube, the lack of any other player on the tritium market could also be the reason why the maker does not push the R&D to hard

Thanks for all of your answers and I know why you won't disclose the detail about the need of lume ;) 

McGilli
46 minutes ago, Glaude said:

OMG... From that thread "I think the tritium tube numerals look weird/creepy for some reason..."

Wow... That's how you can truly tell someone was born AFTER phones replaced calculators... Can you imaging trying to use a calculator? They'd be so creeped out they could never get anything done.

McGilli
3 hours ago, Glaude said:

why the obsession with lumed watches ?

I was thinking about this... It's not bad, my condition right?

It's not like I've built a box, and a watch stand out of luminous material to display my watches in.

Oh... Wait...

0YAG6.jpg
0hVE0.jpg

RussP
3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Fantastic review, a great Sunday read :)

0TjZF.jpg

Can we just refer to you as 3-Ball-Boycie from now ?

RussP
2 hours ago, McGilli said:

OMG... From that thread "I think the tritium tube numerals look weird/creepy for some reason..."

Wow... That's how you can truly tell someone was born AFTER phones replaced calculators... Can you imaging trying to use a calculator? They'd be so creeped out they could never get anything done.

Great review.

Terrific pictures too.

Feel free to insert this picture into Chapter 5 for ambience ..............

18597987915_c2941231cf_b.jpg

Luxuracer

Tritium ... Balls ... Tritium ... Balls ... Arrested

Damn ... I have to read this review over and over again.

stoke.gif  

Boycie
47 minutes ago, RussP said:

Can we just refer to you as 3-Ball-Boycie from now ?

Hopefully 4 Ball soon Russ!

McGilli
1 hour ago, RussP said:

Great review.

Terrific pictures too.

Thanks Russ.

Now what do I do?!?!?

1 hour ago, Luxuracer said:

Tritium ... Balls ... Tritium ... Balls ... Arrested

Damn ... I have to read this review over and over again.  

Yes... That would be very wise... ;)  Especially since I heard something's coming...

RussP
57 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Hopefully 4 Ball soon Russ!

Reminds me of an old hifi joke about No NAD's.

semperfi55
17 hours ago, McGilli said:

Something that says “I’m not a rich, attention whore wearing a fake Rolex, or maybe it’s genuine who knows”.....................................................................................BTW Rolex owners, you’re not attention whores. 

Don't backtrack your statement! I am indeed an attention whore!!! This is how we wear Rolex!

0XtBg.jpg

Superb review!!! I very much enjoyed the case and bracelet finishes on this watch.

Love the humour!

18 hours ago, McGilli said:

I told her I was a virgin, so there was no worry. She was so relieved! We agreed to meet and I signed off my computer. I told my son 

Funniest shit ever :lmao:

The lume box and stand thing is genius. Great source of illumination so you don't have to grope around in the dark for Balls.