Munster87

Baume & Mercier Problem

Munster87

I have a Baume & Mercier Formula S, which had been sold and now returned to me from an auction site with an issue.

He stated he had a condensation problem but in my 2 years ownership I never had an issue but the auction site took his side (Being the customer!)and returned to me.

However when I received it I noticed the day display was half and half? which you would only normally see when the day & date was due to change at midnight.

I have tried to manually set via the crown wheel but even the the date will move the day stays static.

My suspicion is that he has tried to set it manually whilst the day/date wheels have been engaged and damaged them?

Any suggestions/observations/thoughts from (Helpful!) would be grateful.

Wriggles

I expect you;re spot on, So the prick made a balls of your watch since he's a clueless fuckwit, then makes up a story so he can return and get his money back.

I hate cunts like that. Hope karma catches up with him.

Any chance you can counter his return with a claim for repair costs?

Rx4Time

I almost always take a video right before shipping showing all functions are working properly including date change and if it's a Chronograph that it runs and resets correctly (with the shipping label in the video as a timestamp) as i fear this exact situation.  I'd contact the auction site and explain he returned a broken watch and hopefully they will intervene on your behalf otherwise I guess you are biting the repair costs.  What movement is in it?.

Wriggles

without looking  I'm going either 7750 or 7753. Irrespective it's a shitter if this is going to cost the OP

Munster87

Hi Wriggles

I have had a cursory inspection by my local watchsmith and he thinks the same as to the cause. It has now been sent away for a more thorough inspection so will know within a week +.

The auction site (E--Y) has told me I must refund the full amount to the buyer + postage, but that was before I got it back in my hands and noticed the problem.

In the meantime the buyer is constantly asking for his money back but I have made E--Y aware of the problem and am now awaiting an answer??

You were spot on with the movement - Valjoux 7750. Wonder how much a new movement costs?

Munster87

Hi Rx4Time

Good advice. Once bitten etc

Valjoux 7750 is the movement and yes I have asked E--Y to intervene but I'm not hopeful after their last decision:boxing:

jdinaz

If the auction site is ebay, you are authorized to charge a reasonable restocking fee if the item is returned in an altered condition, but must plead your case to the ebay rep if the buyer decides to kick it up to a claim. You have a good chance of winning if you are able to provide documentation.

I'd certainly not refund in full without a fight. I think you even get an appeal. But the key word here is documentation & other evidence showing you're right.

BIG GRUNDY

Good luck with Feebay. 

Last couple times I have sold on there (not watches) I have been plagued by idiots and scammers.  I personally haven't sold anything since the reps took the side of serial scammers.  I actually tracked one down who had scammed previous sellers 3 times and they only had 30 total transactions... SAD

BenjaminButton

I don’t know shit about all this but@glaude was rather knowledgable with another issue regarding buying and selling in the big wide world. Perhaps he can chime in with some words of wisdom.

Glaude
2 hours ago, BenjaminButton said:

I don’t know shit about all this but@glaude was rather knowledgable with another issue regarding buying and selling in the big wide world. Perhaps he can chime in with some words of wisdom.

Since it's an old post, I don't know if I could add something really relevant to the discussion (If I ever did... :D )

Aren

If you sell on the Bay again, take a video of the watch before you send it. 

You may be able to make a postal insurance claim if it was "damaged in transit" and insured.

Best of luck.  Awful issue. 

You won't be able to recover from the butthead you sold it to, so it must have been damaged during shipping...just a guess.

I see this is an old post., so maybe too late for insurance. 

BenjaminButton
Since it's an old post, I don't know if I could add something really relevant to the discussion (If I ever did...  )

Oh for fuck sake I got drawn in on necro fucking posting and then drew you into it Glaude. Apologies all round.

Glaude
1 minute ago, BenjaminButton said:

Oh for fuck sake I got drawn in on necro fucking posting and then drew you into it Glaude. Apologies all round.

No worries, it was not a huge necropost, but the thread is rather confusing and not very clear.

However, @Aren is 100 %, regarding claims with private parties like eBay or equivalent, every bit of proof can be a huge help for a claim, having a video of the working watch, even a video of you packing the working watch can be really useful for a claim.
Same thing for the other way round, an opening video of a package can be a proof of either transit damage, improper packing or even full on scam.

Aren

8 minutes ago, Glaude said:

No worries, it was not a huge necropost, but the thread is rather confusing and not very clear.

However, @Aren is 100 %, regarding claims with private parties like eBay or equivalent, every bit of proof can be a huge help for a claim, having a video of the working watch, even a video of you packing the working watch can be really useful for a claim.
Same thing for the other way round, an opening video of a package can be a proof of either transit damage, improper packing or even full on scam.

Hi BenB... :lol:

I am necroposting all the time here.  I just love the old threads.  Some are so incredibly funny, some tragic, some informative, some heartwarming and some just silly and ridiculous.

I missed RWG alot while I was (mostly) away for a couple of years.  I am happy to be back and hope it is a trend for me as my present work involves lots of "wait."

In an ever changing world, it is so nice to see that some things don't change.

For a gen watch, I hope the  OP insured it well and made a claim for recovery of his losses for the repairs.  We all live and learn.

Take good care BenB...and let's keep watching "hi from Turkey"  it sounds very interesting.

After Chinese New Year, I may decide to buy some reps.  I have always liked them, but I stayed here at RWG for the people, not the watches.

:wub: 

BenjaminButton

Hello[mention=5859]aren[/mention]. Hear, hear Sir. Well put and well written. For me the watches are the hook but the people have kept me coming back. Raising a glass to topics old and new.