Sign in to follow this  
rc42

Tutorial - Quick Crown Guard mod for Rolex Sub

rc42

OK, my Blue TT Sub has just arrived from Precious Time at the bargain price of £70 delivered from the PT clearance sale. Its fully working with Swiss ETA and sapphire crystal and was only included in the sale as the dial has been swapped out for a maxi (which I actually prefer). Here's the PT picture:

Clearance26.jpg

This watch is a beauty, the blue is a fraction more purple than the gen but still stunning, here's the wrist shot taken today:

BlueTT1.jpg

The one thing that did bug me about this watch was the crown guards, they are very 'rep like' and overlap the crown by too much at the bottom.

Compare the picture of the rep with Tangfo's gen picture.

BlueTTCG1.jpgTangfo16613Blue.jpg

There are already tutorials for modding crown guards but they go the whole way and remove the crown and stem which is beyond what many are prepared to do for their first go at CG modding (it was for me anyway). Although the results are probably better via this route, I took the shortcut route below:

1. Use a good thick (and folded over several times) polishing cloth and place it into a vice with the watch nicely protected from the vice jaws, then tighten the vice just enough to grip the watch case.

2. Screw the crown down tight and use silicon carbide paper (I used 240 and 360 grades) cut into small strips and gently feed down between the crown and CG with the smooth back of the paper towards the crown.

If the coarse (240 grade) paper is a tight fit then start with the finer grade.

BlueTTVice1.jpg

3. Using gentle pressure (let the abraisive do the work) move the strip forward and back by holding each end with thumb and finger

(sorry, couldn't photograph that :lol:)

4. Keep the gentle pressure pushing the abraisive side toward the CG and keep going until the abraisive is worn off the lower edge, then turn the strip over so that the top edge is being worn down against the CG. Work slowly and try not to let the paper slip over the CG (but don't worry if it does)

5. When the strip is worn along both edges, scrap it and cut another one from the paper.

6. Use alternate strips on the other CG so that they both get the same amount of work.

7. Keep going until you get the result you want, I stopped at the point shown below which took around 10 minutes to achieve.

BlueTTCGNew2.jpg

BlueTTCGNew1.jpg

8. Remove from the vice and blow off any excess dust and give the whole thing a polish with a clean cloth. If there are any scratches on the SS case then they can be removed with a little Brasso or similar metal polish (Cape Cod cloth can be used if you have it). Be careful near plated areas if working on a TT model though.

Here's the before picture again to compare with the above:

BlueTTCG1.jpg

Optional - Remove the TT bracelet and replace with a Bebenn leather strap:

BlueTTBB1.jpg

Demsey

Wow! Amazing result! Ten minutes only? Again, Wow!

I have quite a few TWB Rolex Sub models that have great dimension, especially with regard to chapter ring rehaut angle (no wok) but the guards are ridiculous as compared to genuine. I'm going to give this a go.

I have been planning on doing this mod through the method you mention; stem/crown removal, and am quite prepared to do so, but I doubt the end result could better this technique.

I'll tackle it after the holiday (Thanksgiving for all you 'fereners) and do a photo report. This is honestly the only 'new' thing I have come across with regard to 'mods' in a long time................cheers!

greg_r

Holy Crap..... that's stunning - especially for the price. Good job on the CGs too.

im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

trailboss99

Ta mate. Downright ingenious of you. Never even thought of that one. Looks like it works a treat.

One word of warning. Just enshure that the lower edge of the paper is not marking the side of the case. The abrasive goes right to the edge so it can leave a nasty mark if you not watching what's happening.The trick would be to put no downward (towards case) pressure on the paper. Pull towards you only.

Col.

SSTEEL

I know this is an old thread, but so glad the photos are still showing.

Thanks for this info as I am planning on doing the very same to my LV Sub. :)