FoxWilde

Fox's Estate sale pickups.

FoxWilde

Hey RWG!

So after a couple days in the hospital (I tell people it was a freak thumb-wrestling accident), I got a chance to check out an estate sale on some vintage watches, mainly pocket watches. A friend of mine told me about it. He works at one of the local stores here and said, "You know, if you're into watches, what if I told you where you could find incredible pocket watches by the finest brands, in magnificent condition, for a great price?"

I said, "Well that doesn't sound shady at all! Where is it?"

And since there are basically no watch enthusiast or watch-related events normally here, I dropped everything and went to check it out. So a collector passed a month ago or so and his collection was being sold off.

I ask the guy at the front about it, and where the watch collection is, and he led me to the back room and introduced me to a gentleman who opened a trunk box. Inside there was a crazy number of old watch and jewelry boxes.

Basically, I got a few pretty nice pieces for some killer prices!I haven't decided whether I want to keep the ones I bought or try to sell them off to friends or something, but these are the ones I now have. 

Although I'm not much of a pocket watch guy, please enjoy some pretty nice eye candy!

IMG-7788.jpg

Steal #1: An old Lange 1 18kt gold pocket watch in original box
IMG-7791.jpg

Steal #2: an IWC small seconds pocket watch with original box/papers 18kt

IMG-7793.jpg

#3: a Patek Philippe Gondolo small seconds pocket watch 18kt. (1900-1910) This one I haven't technically bought yet, I'm seeing if the Estate will get back to my offer so they have it reserved to me :) )
IMG-7794.jpg

IMG-7795.jpg

#4: a Rolex Cellini pocket watch (14kt I think? Maybe 18)

IMG-7796.jpg

#5: some of the dozens of wristwatches the collection had

I think I bought a quarter of the collection, just picked out my favorites. There were two more Pateks, two Breguets, and a good amount of small ornate and enameled pocket watches there as well. 

What do you think?

Fox

Edited by FoxWilde

blueoysterboy

awesome, too bad no Daytonas?

Jibuti

keep them all, and I mean it!

3-4000 eur there easily.

NCRich

Pretty stuff!  Not into pocket watches but those are cool.

Alan32

How much would it take for you to part with the IWC:drool:

Jibuti

same caliber iwc was sold around here recently for 1100 eur.... you are lucky b'stard.

Luxuracer

Cheap reps ... @FoxWilde

J/K ..... Beautiful catches there ... Buddy!

More pictures would be great ... when your thumb is better ... ;) 

repmaster1234

Holy shit. 

Moondustesp

Nice pick ups! Keep what you love and sell the rest make some ££££ or $$$$$

GingerApple

Pretty things! How much did you pay for them?

FoxWilde
3 hours ago, 0ysterboy said:

awesome, too bad no Daytonas?

Sadly no. A mate of mine some few years back once stumbled on an all-original 6239 in pretty good condition at a garage-cleanout sale. Owners didn't know anything about it and let it go for $4000 or something. Only 4K!! Guess I haven't been so lucky on these treasure hunts...

bdnica
3 hours ago, FoxWilde said:

IMG-7788.jpg

Wow!  Any chance  of seeing a few up close and personal shots of this Lange?  Is it running or in need of service?   Lucky bastard, well played!!

FoxWilde
3 hours ago, Alan32 said:

How much would it take for you to part with the IWC:drool:

I haven't quite decided what to do with them yet. :D I'm still rolling around in my treasure like a small child

If I decide to let them go down the road.

3 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

Cheap reps ...

DAMN IT! How'd you know??
guess those SELs really are a dead giveaway...

FoxWilde
18 minutes ago, bdnica said:

Wow!  Any chance  of seeing a few up close and personal shots of this Lange?  Is it running or in need of service?   Lucky bastard, well played!!

All these watches and those still at the estate sale are in incredible edition. I haven't gotten a chance to time test any of these for accuracy but all wind/set properly and smoothly.

Another watch I haven't picked up yet was originally sold through Sothesby as the smallest chronograph movement. Watch looked the size of a bean LOL.

Hopefully I'll take more pictures Monday

FoxWilde
5 hours ago, jibuti said:

same caliber iwc was sold around here recently for 1100 eur.... you are lucky b'stard.

thank you mate. That IWC is a real gem. :)

FoxWilde

More pics of the watches!

IMG-7819.jpg
IMG-7820.jpg
IMG-7821.jpg
IMG-7822.jpg
IMG-7823.jpg
IMG-7824.jpg
IMG-7825.jpg
IMG-7826.jpg
IMG-7827.jpg
IMG-7828.jpg
IMG-7829.jpg
IMG-7830.jpg
IMG-7831.jpg
IMG-7832.jpg
IMG-7833.jpg
IMG-7834.jpg
IMG-7835.jpg
IMG-7836.jpg
IMG-7837.jpg
IMG-7838.jpg

Including a nice Glaschutte small seconds I didn't buy

McGilli

@FoxWilde WOw man - that stuff is like.... really nice.... I'm only familiar with stuff like Elgin etc - I don't actually know watch manufacturures from today - that also used to make pocket watches etc. Really cool to see!

ie_benitez

Those are really nice! 

Jibuti

next batch-movement pics...

Image result for pretty please with sugar on top gif

bdnica

Was thinking about your Estate Sale banditry the other day so checked back in on your thread.  Have you sold (or decided to sell) any of these great pieces?  Have you had any sort of valuation done?  Or conducted your own due diligence on value?  I'd love to make a run at the IWC and Lange.  

Alternatively, please provide your home address and the specific location inside the home where you store your timepieces.  I know a couple guys who specialize in 'valuations' of merchandise like this.  And they come by when you're not around so as not to disturb anyone.  So if you can let me know when no one will be home it will be far more convenient and avoid any disruption.... !

Piloten

let me know where I can send you a camera and you can stop taking pictures with your toaster.

Honestly, the *one* time I want to zoom in on something here   . . .

*grumble*

Great pickups there, man :D

FoxWilde
On 07/02/2019 at 06:17, bdnica said:

Was thinking about your Estate Sale banditry the other day so checked back in on your thread.  Have you sold (or decided to sell) any of these great pieces?  Have you had any sort of valuation done?  Or conducted your own due diligence on value?  I'd love to make a run at the IWC and Lange.  

Alternatively, please provide your home address and the specific location inside the home where you store your timepieces.  I know a couple guys who specialize in 'valuations' of merchandise like this.  And they come by when you're not around so as not to disturb anyone.  So if you can let me know when no one will be home it will be far more convenient and avoid any disruption.... !

:rofl:

the Lange and IWC are sold. One privately and one at auction. Both in happy homes. The rest I’m going to get quotes on auction prices, and decide whether to keep or sell, depending on what I can get from them. The original idea was to keep all of them, but I got school and rent to pay off :) 

when I purchased these items I have usually no idea how much I can make from them, but being in a town where I’m pretty much the only guy who cares about timepieces really helps. Im usually the only buyer. Because of that I can negotiate good deals on pieces like this

quadro

It would be a shame to see such beautiful creations in the wrong hands! :Doh:
Congratulations for these beautiful frames of another era! :clap: