Sign in to follow this  
Foolish1

How Long Should it Take to Repair a Watch?

Foolish1

I'd like some opinions based upon experience please.

I recently had to take my REP IWC chrono in for repair because the chronograph stopped working.

I found a nice asian guy at a local watch repair shop that said he could fix it.

He's had the watch for about a month and says he still needs more time (has to order parts, etc.).

Does this sound typical? I mean, does it usually take a good bit of time to repair one of these watches?

Thanks.

KBH

My guess is that when he started fixing it he realized that parts are not readily available for the Asian 7750 and he's trying to figure out what to do. But other than that it's somewhat normal. I had an ETA movement repair that took several months because it's often difficult to order specific parts. At least this is what I was told from one of the forum watch smiths.

trailboss99

Parts? For a a7750? :facepalm:

I'd say he broke it mate.

Col.

greg_r

Depends on the repairer, but parts can sometimes be difficult to obtain (dependent on the movement fitted) and skilled watchsmiths are relatively rare, so are often swamped with work. The question is whether this guy can actually fix it - if the IWC is running an A7750, you might have a problem there as parts are not generally available and few watchsmiths are therefore able to work on them (replacing a part means having to salvage the component from another movement).

As far as timescale goes, though, a couple of months is unexceptional - I've had an AD take longer than that to repair a gen that was still under warranty!

Edit: slow I am :facepalm:

Del

Might be worth asking him what parts he's ordered and from whom.....if he's stalling you then it could flush him out. If he's genuine (excuse the ironic word choice :facepalm:) then he could be a great find for future repairs!

KBH

Ouch, I didn't even think about it being one of those crappy bastard movements. I think there's only one person in the world that can fix the IWC seconds at 12, Franscisco. But he's in Spain and I'm not even sure he will work on them anymore.

Foolish1

Thanks for the replies.

He claimed he had to get a gear and a jewel.

Yeah, this is a rep of the Portuguese Chrono with the running seconds at 6:00 and minute/chrono counter at 12:00.

It is described as having the Asian7750b 29J automatic movement.

I think I broke it myself by changing the time set with the chrono running.

Bummer if it can't be fixed since its my most expensive rep.

Oh well, I guess.

MikeMcNair
Thanks for the replies.

He claimed he had to get a gear and a jewel.

Yeah, this is a rep of the Portuguese Chrono with the running seconds at 6:00 and minute/chrono counter at 12:00.

It is described as having the Asian7750b 29J automatic movement.

I think I broke it myself by changing the time set with the chrono running.

Bummer if it can't be fixed since its my most expensive rep.

Oh well, I guess.

hell, i tell people to givve me 6 weeks (4-6 anyway) but i have a full time job and just tinker on the side. so if hes got a shop, he's prolly just having trouble getting parts (cause i know its hard to find them)

best of luck and keep us posted!!! oh, and 7750's SUCK COCK!!!!!.

that is all lol.

Foolish1

Well I heard back from the repair man and he finally admited he could not fix it.

I went to pick it up and saw it again for the first time in 6 weeks. Damn, I forgot how pretty she is.

Anyway, now I may be on the lookout for a replacement movement.

He also said he could convert it to a quartz movement but the sub dials would be in a fixed possition.

What do you think?

Member X

I would try to source a replacement movement from the dealer you got it from - then all he/you has to do is swap the hands over and drop it in the case! :thumbsup: (simplified, but you get what I'm saying :) lol)

David543

Bad news :thumbsup:

Good luck sourcing a replacement movement....

MikeMcNair

Sounds to me that it is the SMALL 7750 in the IWC, and I have 2 movement on their way. They aren't cheap, but I can fix her for ya.

150 for the tiny 7750, 45 to put it in. Done deal, customer pays shipping.

MikeMcNair

Sounds to me that it is the SMALL 7750 in the IWC, and I have 2 movement on their way. They aren't cheap, but I can fix her for ya.

150 for the brand new, gen swiss eta 7750, tiny 7750, 45 to put it in. Done deal, customer pays shipping.

Foolish1

150 for the brand new, gen swiss eta 7750, tiny 7750, 45 to put it in. Done deal, customer pays shipping.

Sent you a PM.