semperfi55

Review - RKF Rolex Day-Date 18238 Yellow Gold

semperfi55

Let me have your attention for a moment. So you’re talking about what? You’re talking about, bitching about that M2M sale you shot, some son of a bitch that doesn’t want to buy, somebody that doesn’t want what you’re selling, some rep you’re trying to buy and so forth. Let’s talk about something important. Is everyone here?

@Glaude @RussP @McGilli @NCRich @Logixa @repmaster1234 @BabaNJ

Well, I’m going anyway. Let’s talk about something important.

Put.

That.

Coffee.

Down!

After acquiring a BP Daydate in a great M2M bargain, I felt I had ticked the my Daydate box. I mean, look at it!

44959969294_67af4d6ff8_b.jpg

Pretty snazzy blue dial!

And as @bdnica agreed, the Daydate is extremely addictive.

Power is addictive.

Power.

The Watch

43866819890_ea42e26b83_b.jpg

The Rolex Day-Date was first released in 1956, with it’s complex (back then) day and date function. By the late 1970s, Rolex had added a quickset to the date and double quick-set in the late 1990s, making it easier to set both day and date. The Day-Date is well known as the “President” because many American presidents owned one. The watch has always been part of the higher-end offerings by Rolex. The watch is available in white gold, yellow gold, rose gold and platinum, never stainless steel. It’s generally considered to be the watch for people who have made it to the top.

The Rep

Here is my all yellow gold RKF Day-Date.  

45634170762_f183efdd8c_b.jpg

Pretty spectacular sight, the watch is reminiscent of the 18038 (late 1970s)or 18238 (late 1980s) model of which the going rate is between GBP 9,000 to GBP 12,000. However, as this watch has double quick-set, it’s a closer match to the 18238. Excuse the photo quality, one of the supermodels who was in a state of passion and ecstasy accidentally knocked the cocaine platter onto the watch, hence all the specks.  

44770472255_a4e1ceb4c9_b.jpg

Dimensions

The gen 18238 is 36mm in diameter

Mine measured out to be:

Case Diameter: 36mm

Case Height: 12.55mm

Lug-to-Lug: 45.25mm

Lug Width: 20mm

The other day, as I was walking through my neighbourhood. It’s a pretty posh one with private roads. All the residents pay in to keep the poverty out. And it’s not just about buying your way in. The neighbourhood association had their own criteria for accepting applications, which you can’t even apply for without two references.

Anyway, I digress. I was walking down this street one afternoon when I saw this man by the pavement, admiring his car. As I walked past him, he turned around to greet me. He stood at least two feet shorter than me.

I glanced down at him. I loomed, towering over this cretin.

I was taller so that meant I was better than him.

There was a cheap, tacky shine to his car. He looked at me, almost bursting with pride for some reason.

Ever the gentleman, I offered polite conversation.

“New car?”

He beamed, a pathetic smile from cheek to cheek.

“Yup, got it today!”

It was a rather shit car. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how our residential security did not stop the car from coming in here, lowering the property value. I will have to lodge a formal complaint with the association. This will not do.

This guy had to be put in his place. What was he doing here with this shit car? Probably trying to case a house.

So I flashed my watch at him.

“You see this watch?”

45684645621_50fd003cfa_b.jpg

He nodded, in awe of the shiny gold.

“You see this watch? That watch cost more than your car. I made $970 last year. How much you make?”

The cretin lowered his head in shame, he took out 75p from his pocket and stared at it sheepishly.

I grinned. Called it.

“You see, pal, that’s who I am. And you’re nothing. Nice guy? I don’t give a shit. Good father? Fuck you, go home and play with your kids. You wanna live here? Close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker?”

At this point, this “man” was crying. Tears running down those shameful cheeks.

“You can’t take this, how can you take the abuse you get at work? You don’t like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the car you got, make myself fifteen pounds. Tonight. In two hours. Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise.”

At this, the cretin took off, running down the street, sobbing. Pathetic dog. He even left his car behind. How irresponsible! Littering on our clean streets. Twat.

Image result for little tikes car

Dial

It's very rare that a pure yellow gold colour dial would impress me.

45634170762_f183efdd8c_b.jpg

The dial appears pretty dinged up, probably to resemble a watch that is a few decades old.

44770469925_33b11979e8_b.jpg

All the white specks you see is actually cocaine on the dial, not on the crystal....

The day wheel overlay does not have the best alignment...

44959965154_a4fe5e3e77_b.jpg

Random pube by the date wheel overlay. 

30744116957_8e096bfbbf_b.jpg

Rather impressively, the T SWISS MADE T looks as per gen!

44959964774_06255d6dea_b.jpg

The applied baton indices and lume dots are quite similar to gen. It also comes with a chapter ring including latin numerals.

45684645471_39cb8b6671_b.jpg

The hands are pretty scratched up for some reason....

31812331828_84f59eca4d_b.jpg

Overall, a very striking dial! :D 

30744120847_04781d4391_b.jpg

Movement

The watch houses an A2836 movement. Nothing to shout about. I forgot to take a photo after my cocaine-fueled orgy, so you can have a look at the caseback.

30744120417_af20dff78c_b.jpg

Case & Bezel

The case consist of plated yellow gold. Extremely shiny and a cocaine magnet! The watch came with a classic fluted bezel.

30744122267_22793b7bf8_b.jpg

Slim case.

45684647531_4693516621_b.jpg

The lugs and end links proportions are slightly off though.

31812336908_680922e03d_b.jpg

Bracelet & Clasp

A nice close-up to look at a major flaw. Either the lugs or the end links have to be longer to match each other.

43866792920_0eaa1027e1_b.jpg

Otherwise, the bracelet has a nice flimsy look to it. Very odd to see "nice" and "flimsy" used in the same sentence.  Reminds me of my performance after cocaine use.

45634173732_c0acd7acfb_b.jpg

The main drawback of a plated bracelet is the inevitable risk of the plating wearing off.  But for now, we can sit back and appreciate the half moon president links...

45634175232_5b70557f6c_b.jpg

The classic hidden clasp on the President bracelet.

44959968234_cfdc6536d9_b.jpg

30745723787_82e4a806f6_b.jpg

Function

Just like my BP Day-Date, the 2836 gives an instantaneous day and date change at midnight. Extremely satisfying! :D 

Of course, there is a double quick-set feature in this rep.

In terms of lume, the watch is stellar in this department @McGilli

Image result for pulp fiction case glow

Accuracy

You penny-pinching bean-counter. With this watch, you're at the fucking top. You can hire teams to do the accuracy work for you. You're the captain of the fucking ship. The great helmsman. You focus on the broad strokes; tiny details are for the tiny men to figure out. 

Napoleon didn't have to figure out logistics in Russia. Bush didn't have to trouble himself with Iraqi politics before dismantling the Ba'athist security apparatus. Everything will fall into place.

Overall

In conclusion, the RKF Day-Date has a close to genuine 18238 dial, reliable A2836 which allows instantaneous day and date change. The main drawbacks are the odd lug-end link proportion and easily scratched plated bracelet. This concerns about wearing out the plating is balanced by the fact that this is no beater watch. By wearing this on certain occasions, the plating will last longer. Indeed, being a well-known watch, it can only be worn on certain occasions, as it would pull a lot of unwanted attention in the wrong circumstances.

43866792350_b34a0ac1ab_b.jpg

:drool:

44770470595_cbedbc8601_b.jpg

What is RKF?

I’m sure you think you have heard them all. Noob, VRF, BP, ARF, JF. The ones in the know will recognise RF. But who is RKF?

RKF refers to Repkea Factory

Repkea

Lovely watch parts, ready for assembly.

Instructions

I collected a gen dial, all other parts are Raffles parts with a brand new A2836. Credits to @NCRich, @repmaster1234, @BabaNJ @Logixa for their advice /input through this build!

44770500555_8cfde54d69_b.jpg

The initial challenge identified was setting up the overlays. The standard A2836 has an inner day wheel overlay and outer date wheel overlay. Whereas the Day-Date has the day on the outer to the date. The new Date overlay doesn't sit perfectly on the base date overlay; it actually overlaps onto the base day overlay. I've taped the new day overlay onto the base day overlay, using 2 layers of tape to give the new day wheel some "height", to provide clearance between the date and day so that they don't catch each other as much.

Alignment is also another big pain! It took me ages to get the alignment 85% tolerable.

By the time I was satisfied with the alignment, I found the inside of the crystal and the dial covered in dust cocaine. My advice to avoid this is a pretty simple ABC:

Always

Be

Closing

That would save a lot of trouble down the line, avoiding all the cleaning hassle.

44770500525_1a1ec07e0b_b.jpg

Once everything was set, aligned, and reassembled. I popped the crown and stem back into the movement. It clicks and I pulled the crown out to adjust the time.

The insert comes gliding out effortlessly. Mocking me.

Fuck the keyless.

Seriously.

43866821100_b2de5def1a_b.jpg

After loads of frantic googling and some trial & error, I successfully reset the keyless works. And then I reset and realign the overlays, replace the dial, replace the hands, clean the dial and hands, clean the crystal, remove the crown stem and pop the case back on and reinsert the stem. Keyless is fucked again. 

Fuckity fuck.

Most of my time was spent assembling and disassembling the watch to reset the keyless. Another unforeseen issue was measuring and cutting the stem to size. I ended up cutting it too short and had to order more stems. 

Overall, it has been a very rewarding journey in furthering my tinkering skills. Upon reflection, I suspect the more efficient sequence with minimal risk of screwing up the keyless(for an amateur) would be:

1)Modify either dial feet or movement holder to fit dial onto movement.

2) Without putting on any dial or hands, fit the movement with the movement holder into the case and trim the stem at this point. Any mistakes removing or inserting the stem at this point, no problem. It is very easy to access the keyless to reset.

3) Set and align the new overlays.

4) Place the dial, place the new hands.

5) CAREFULLY remove the stem and put on the case.

6) PRAY TO ALL THE GODS and reinsert the stem

7) Celebratory wank.

8) Post a review that tries to shoehorn references to an obscure 90s film.

43866789170_3bc98db597_b.jpg

Golden wristshot.

45634174442_bc42635939_b.jpg

For sure the last Rolex build for me...

RussP

Did you get McGilli to ghost write this review?

I see I've got my name quoted as one of the few people that inspired this rant.

Guess my job's done then.

McGilli
2 minutes ago, RussP said:

I'm taking that as a compliment, as I quite enjoyed this review.

I have more to say, but I just published today's kill list in another welcoming thread before reading this, and I need to make a change...

semperfi55
9 minutes ago, RussP said:

LUME BALL BIKE

---------FUNNY ANECDOTE----------------

BALL BIKE LUME

---------HILARIOUS STORY-----------------

BIKE LUME BALL

:lol:

semperfi55
17 minutes ago, McGilli said:

but I just published today's kill list

What list? All I see is lube and CO2 canisters :rolleyes:

BabaNJ

@semperfi55 actually i did not contribute to your build but you contributed to my upcoming build by making me catch my fault in my previous tries to build a DD lol. I have parts incoming to try the same build but i couldn't dare myself to build the OG gold DD. May be i can finally try to find parts to build the linen DD in my profile picture. 

Nice review. Cheers

McGilli

@semperfi55 So many things that were great about this review.

1. I'm already writing my next review. But of course I have no watch to review. However, as I write 'the other' stuff for the review I had decided ahead of time - no more fiction - just facts. And so - when you broke into the story, I was like Yes! Reminded me of me when I was younger....

2. Lume shot was great. Reminded me of movies where there's something really cool and important, but they don't actually show it. Something like Tarantino would do. Well done there.

3. Ok, the best part was that - I actually didn't know what the hell was going on from the start. I know - I should have known better. But I couldn't figure out why the watch was in that condition with Cloro.. Cocaine all over it etc. I was like - no one would buy that from M2M and review it.... No one. So, I loved how it then changed into the explanation of what actually transpired - then it all made sense. Then I laughed at your repeated failures and thought "I will never attempt that in my life - therefore he's failed way more than me". And I felt really good then.

I think it's time that some of the regular, contributing reviewing members get their own forum or we go on strike!!!! Yeah! We should Unionize!!!! Dude, I'm busy tonight, but if you could set that up and post it and tell the Admin and Mods we we are going on strike unless we get our own forum that would be awesome. And a cool badge under our name in our profile that says something really cool like Amazon would say like "Top 10 Reviewer" or something... Yeah... Looking forward to what you come up with.

Good stuff, was a good read after a very long day.

semperfi55
18 minutes ago, BabaNJ said:

May be i can finally try to find parts to build the linen DD in my profile picture. 

Definitely unique look there! I'm so used to seeing gold case matched with gold dial day-dates.

So humble :) At least take credit for the countless DJ builds that triggered inspired me to give it a go :D 

10 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Reminded me of me when I was younger....

:lmao:

10 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Reminded me of movies where there's something really cool and important, but they don't actually show it.

So much reminding.... Remembrance Day is next week mate! But that trope gives me an idea......

12 minutes ago, McGilli said:

I think it's time that some of the regular, contributing reviewing members get their own forum or we go on strike!!!! Yeah! We should Unionize!!!!

Duuuuude I'm totally with you on that front! I've even got a name befitting our glorious movement(see what I did there, puns are fun):

Contributors' Union for Narcissistic Timepiece Stories

Glaude

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "american psycho gif"

Great, great review and build along, and as everyone else pointed it : There's some McGilli in you ! Or is it that McGilli is as crazy as the good Patrick ?

PS : Watch is shite... :D 

semperfi55
30 minutes ago, Glaude said:

PS : Watch is shite... :D

Let's see Paul Allen's watch.

Glaude
11 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

Let's see Paul Allen's watch.

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "american psycho sweat gif"

McGilli
1 hour ago, semperfi55 said:

Contributors' Union for Narcissistic Timepiece Stories

That's poetic. I'll draw up the membership forms....

Logixa

:rofl: I always like your reviews @semperfi55 I thought this post was something else at the beginning, especially the whole kicking a poor guy in the nuts and using cocaïne :rofl:

Great read! 

Greetings from his cousin:

sK2TA.md.jpg

Glaude
6 hours ago, Logixa said:

:rofl: I always like your reviews @semperfi55 I thought this post was something else at the beginning, especially the whole kicking a poor guy in the nuts and using cocaïne :rofl:

Great read! 

Since we are in the nice Rolex talk, is there any nice dial Rolex day date or datejust of any version, that doesn't have a cyclop in gen ?

Logixa

@Glaude yes the Precision models mate 

Glaude
11 minutes ago, Logixa said:

@Glaude yes the Precision models mate 

With day or/and date ?

Logixa

No not with a date mechanism then. It seems that a day is not without a date and a date is not without a  cyclops. Perhaps a very old version of Rolex? But I am sure that those are not repped probably 

Or vintage subs with plexi or the older models sea dweller 

Glaude

Thanks for the info !

bdnica
16 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

44959969294_67af4d6ff8_b.jpg

Pretty snazzy blue dial!

And as @bdnica agreed, the Daydate is extremely addictive.

Power is addictive.

Power.

Having been forewarned, I was looking forward to your review with pensive anticipation.  And as enjoyable as it was, about half way through I began to feel.... inadequate.  Dare I say... emasculated?  Fear and self-loathing began to creep down my spine.  My dog snarled at me in contempt.  My wife mocked me mercilessly when I suggested we make love.  Which in hindsight may have been a blessing as I strongly suspect performance anxiety would have been an issue.  I couldn't sleep as all my life's failures continued to loop through my brain like a ferris wheel gone awry.  My wife and dog both left this morning, laughing sarcastically when asked 'when will you two be back?'  I began weeping like a child for no apparent reason.  With what little remained of my self-worth as a man, I summoned the last of my courage and ordered a yellow gold version.   Rose gold you say?  Ha!  Sure, for women and effeminate men maybe.  Nothing but man's gold on this wrist thank you very much!   Immediately my ego started to assert its former self.  I cancelled payments to the ex-wives.  I pulled over my car to bitch-slap two paramilitaries who were randomly stopping citizens for no reason.  Stomped one of them while the other retreated in fear.  Women openly begged to be impregnated with my seed.  And upon return to the house, both wife and dog were sobbing uncontrollably with grief thinking I had left them.  My wife threw herself at me like some sex-starved vixen.  And wailed  like a banshee when I lost interest in her bottomless lust and left to watch football and partake in strong drink with other men of power.

@semperfi55 you have shown us all the path to masculine power only a select few will ever know.  For that we  will remain eternally grateful.

semperfi55
On 03/11/2018 at 07:15, Logixa said:

sK2TA.md.jpg

LOL coming soon......

On 03/11/2018 at 16:14, bdnica said:

And as enjoyable as it was, about half way through I began to feel.... inadequate.  Dare I say... emasculated?  Fear and self-loathing began to creep down my spine.  My dog snarled at me in contempt.  My wife mocked me mercilessly when I suggested we make love.  Which in hindsight may have been a blessing as I strongly suspect performance anxiety would have been an issue.  I couldn't sleep as all my life's failures continued to loop through my brain like a ferris wheel gone awry.  My wife and dog both left this morning, laughing sarcastically when asked 'when will you two be back?'  I began weeping like a child for no apparent reason.  With what little remained of my self-worth as a man, I summoned the last of my courage and ordered a yellow gold version.   Rose gold you say?  Ha!  Sure, for women and effeminate men maybe.  Nothing but man's gold on this wrist thank you very much!   Immediately my ego started to assert its former self.  I cancelled payments to the ex-wives.  I pulled over my car to bitch-slap two paramilitaries who were randomly stopping citizens for no reason.  Stomped one of them while the other retreated in fear.  Women openly begged to be impregnated with my seed.  And upon return to the house, both wife and dog were sobbing uncontrollably with grief thinking I had left them.  My wife threw herself at me like some sex-starved vixen.  And wailed  like a banshee when I lost interest in her bottomless lust and left to watch football and partake in strong drink with other men of power.

Are you a writer? Or a ghost writer?

If you are, there are some opportunities for some ghost writing. My people will contact your people.

Seriously, you need to start posting some reviews man. Or just ramble on about watches. Either works for me :thumbsup:

Moondustesp

:Applause:

RussP
On 03/11/2018 at 17:15, Logixa said:

Great read! 

sK2TA.md.jpg

Next on my wish list.

Is that a BabaNJ creation or a rep?

bdnica
3 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

Are you a writer? Or a ghost writer?

Not a writer.  And am pretty sure I'm not a ghost... at least one  who's done any writing?  

If you are, there are some opportunities for some ghost writing. My people will contact your people.

I've met a lot of one-off, unique people in my day but talking to people who represent the business interests of ghosts will be a first.  Look forward to finding out how one gets involved with that sort of gig?

Seriously, you need to start posting some reviews man. Or just ramble on about watches. Either works for me :thumbsup:

Very kind comments amigo... appreciated!  But was simply trying to keep your great vibe going on what's a great review.   Between you, @Glaude writing on behalf of brightness &  light, and @McGilli who covers the darker side (although less so if provided with images of female lingerie it seems...), I'm just trying to keep up.  Kind of a 'get to sit at the big kids' table' thing!

Keep up with the good stuff!

McGilli

@semperfi55 @Glaude @bdnica

I'm a ghost writer too!!!!!

BDNICA'S FIRST RWG REVIEW - PINK FEMALE SWATCH

(I'm sorry this is the only watch sitting on my desk right now as my daughter waits for me to change the battery)

THE DIAL AND HANDS

Having been forewarned, I was looking forward to your review with pensive anticipation.  And as enjoyable as it was, about half way through I began to feel.... inadequate.  Dare I say... emasculated?  Fear and self-loathing began to creep down my spine.  My dog snarled at me in contempt.  My wife mocked me mercilessly when I suggested we make love. 

si0I8.jpg

THE CASE AND MOVEMENT

sieO3.jpg

Which in hindsight may have been a blessing as I strongly suspect performance anxiety would have been an issue.  I couldn't sleep as all my life's failures continued to loop through my brain like a ferris wheel gone awry.  My wife and dog both left this morning, laughing sarcastically when asked 'when will you two be back?'  I began weeping like a child for no apparent reason.  With what little remained of my self-worth as a man, I summoned the last of my courage and ordered a yellow gold version.   Rose gold you say?  Ha!  Sure, for women and effeminate men maybe.  Nothing but man's gold on this wrist thank you very much!   

THE STRAP AND CLASP

sixxb.jpg

Immediately my ego started to assert its former self.  I cancelled payments to the ex-wives.  I pulled over my car to bitch-slap two paramilitaries who were randomly stopping citizens for no reason.  Stomped one of them while the other retreated in fear.  Women openly begged to be impregnated with my seed.  And upon return to the house, both wife and dog were sobbing uncontrollably with grief thinking I had left them. 

IN CLOSING

My wife threw herself at me like some sex-starved vixen.  And wailed  like a banshee when I lost interest in her bottomless lust and left to watch football and partake in strong drink with other men of power.

-----

And that's how reviews are done over here at Casa De McGilli.

Edited by McGilli

Logixa
8 hours ago, RussP said:

Next on my wish list.

Is that a BabaNJ creation or a rep?

This is a Logixa creation mate :) Gen case, caseback, dial, bezel, crown and tube. Clark's hands and crystal and raffles 10k wrapped bracelet :D but credits go to @BabaNJ for sourcing the Gen parts!