GingerApple

Help needed on how to buy a hard-to-obtain Gen

GingerApple

Can anyone who knows the Gen market well give me a bit of advice please?

Let's say I want to buy one of those hard (ish) to get Gens like a ceramic Daytona or a Rolex DSSD d-blue. Let's use the latter. I navigate to Rolex.com and it seems a new one will set me back £9700. Quite a wedge, but it's a beautiful watch, so I decide to buy it.

sRM6h.png

Except of course I can't because the waiting lists are ridiculous. First question - are there any tactics to help beat the queue a bit? Perhaps there's a way of knowing how many watches a particular AD will get? Or is it worth spending a few hours calling round hundreds of dealers to see who has the shortest waiting list? Any other random tips anyone might have?

Let's say I give up waiting. I check Chrono 24. My search terms are for a brand new DSSD d-blue. Ranked lowest to highest in price I'm looking at £10600 from  Hong Kong or £11300 within the EU's no tax area, both a significant step up on the AD price.

sRkTD.png

Is it worth buying the cheaper one from HK or am I likely to get shafted by having to stump up a load of money in import duty? Should I therefore go for the EU based watch and take the £2k hit on the AD price?

What are my other options. I've heard people talk up the forums such as TRF. I have a peek at their M2M sales threads and there are quite a few seemingly (virtually) new, mint condition watches available, all on the face of it from well regarded, long term members/supporting vendors. They all seem to be US located watches and seem to be available for about $13000 which equates to approximately £10000, ie the same price as a UK based AD!!!! Perhaps that's the way forward, buy from the forums. But if I do, shall I ship it directly from the US to the UK? Or take a trip to the states and wear the bad boy back, posting the box and papers separately? Or ask a friendly face, (like Lux, but more trustworthy) to take delivery and ship it to me via stealth methods designed to avoid customs?

Are they the only options or am I missing something? Are there trustworthy 'grey' dealers in the UK who have competitive prices? Anywhere else I should go? Anything else I should consider?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always!

deju

You can bring it across on a flight but big chance of getting hit on import duty shipping it. 

Go grey or buy used. I don’t believe in hyped pricing. 

McGilli
49 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

will set me back £9700

Contact a TD, they can get a better price ;)

Otherwise, if you insist on going your route - keep us updated. I always hear about the waiting lists etc and would love to know how you make up and which route you end up pursuing.

Good luck.

Foxindebox

Straight through customs, up your arse...

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bde21a133632f6a77

:D

Bubonico

Hi @GingerBlubba, I live 2 minutes away from a Rolex store, if you want i can ask the price and the delivery time for the watch. Can you give me the exact model?

A flight to Spain will be cheaper.

semperfi55

If you do buy outside EU and try to ship it into UK, and the seller is filling out the customs declaration honestly, you will be hit by ~4.7% custom duty and 20% VAT. Take that into consideration when buying outside EU and compare it with EU prices. It might still be cheaper.

RussP

Why pay inflated prices when you can have ARF or an equivalent on your wrist for a fraction of the price?

I for one don't subscribe to waiting lists or paying inflated prices on an already expensive commodity.

Just my 2c worth.

PS: Get on a plane over to HK and just wear it on your wrist on your return...............can't see anybody asking you to pay duty for something worn (second hand by then).

PPS: Concealing it in your crack might be painful.............it is after all the BIGGEST Rolex you can buy :D

Luxuracer

@GingerBlubba

Are you looking for the 'discontinued' 116660 Deep-Sea or the newly Baselworld 2018 126660!?!

There is a waiting-list for the 126660 ... not the 116660.

Rx4Time

If you can get it immediately in the US.at an AD, I'd buy it here and wear it home.  Ship the empty box and papers separately.  Look for a state with no or low sales tax and you can cover part of the cost of your trip with the savings vs buying it in Europe and paying VAT.  If you are wearing it, I doubt anyone would look twice.  You can possibly prearrange a specific model and serial number to be held for you and register it as yours with customs before the trip.  I would think that an AD would be willing to help you under the guise that you wish to arrange insurance before you pick it up. 

Jibuti

GB....this is not the best sub.... mid life crisis, mate? get a Portia then.....

Glaude

Look at him, trying to make us believe he has gen money in hand ... 

BadPickle
6 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Look at him, trying to make us believe he has gen money in hand ... 

This^^^ 

he’s as poor as that Aussie wanker :rofl: 

maybe they’ll start a crazy scale about it, oh yeah, that was real comical 

GingerApple
36 minutes ago, Bubonico said:

Can you give me the exact model

It appears that 126660 is the reference for both the normal black dial version (which I am not interested in) and the James Cameron deep blue version (which is the one I like) ie 126660 Rolex DeepSea D-Blue Dial

It would be really interesting to know what the waiting times are like in Spain as I'm over there fairly often anyway. If you could pop in, I'd be very grateful - though please don't go out of your way to do so as Pickled Beetroot and Glaude are probably right - and even if I can afford it, I'm probably too tight to spend the money anyway....

MOT

Buy it, ship the bits, wear it back, Fuck em.  You will have issues with the escape valve though as you constantly produce gas.

RussP
21 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

This^^^ 

Which Aussie Wanker are you referring to, Stu?

It might help if you were a tad more specific.

Wanker could be construed as a term of endearment in some parts around here :coffee:

BadPickle
9 hours ago, RussP said:

Which Aussie Wanker are you referring to, Stu?

It might help if you were a tad more specific.

Wanker could be construed as a term of endearment in some parts around here :coffee:

Ah yes Russ, I was forgetting this place is awash with them,,, ;) 

Thommo82
10 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

This^^^ 

If you’re gonna talk shit about me you could at least tag me in your comment Stew.

I’m guessing you didn’t as you were not fond of the last things I said to you, which you ran away from without responding to. 

Awwww bless.......

Moondustesp

A friend of mine is trying to get a batman. He was told by someone who buys for the grey market to say that the watch is for a mile stone birthday and tell them the cash is sitting there waiting. Apparently ADs have people on the list when contacted don’t actually have the funds available. Happens alot apparently. Also once you are one a list don’t try and get on another as some jewellers are actually the same company like Goldsmiths and Mappin webb. My dad is also on the list for a “hard” to get rolex. If he gets it will post some pics and how long it took. Goodluck 

Chiquita Fanjita

I know of a UK dealer selling a 2016 model if you are interested @GingerBlubba?

BadPickle
53 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

If you’re gonna talk shit about me you could at least tag me in your comment Stew.

I’m guessing you didn’t as you were not fond of the last things I said to you, which you ran away from without responding to. 

Awwww bless.......

Seems I didn’t need to tag you,  your paranoia brought you right here anyway.  

Plus..... 

..... keep guessing 

:ohwell: 

Thommo82
5 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Seems I didn’t need to tag you,  your paranoia brought you right here anyway.  

Plus..... 

..... keep guessing 

:ohwell: 

Where I come from, only scared men talk behind others backs 

nivka

If they (eg rolex and patek) stymied the grey market by banning people who flip new watches serially, do you think it would drive grey market prices up (because there would be fewer pieces on the fret market) or down (because more genuine buyers would get them at retail)? I’m just pontificating... surely they’ve thought of this

MetalMickey

They usually let you jump up the queue if you buy more watches. Especially if you take some stuff they are struggling to sell.

Chixisigma

What a pointless thread. As if GB would ever buy a gen that cost as much as his 40 high end reps. Lol

What an attention seeker ;)

Cxs

GingerApple
1 minute ago, Chixisigma said:

What a pointless thread. As if GB would ever buy a gen that cost as much as his 40 high end reps. Lol

What an attention seeker ;)

Cxs

I can't work out why you and Pickle don't get on, you're really so alike.