Glaude

ZF IWC Portugieser Chronograph 3714-46

milikes

Great Review!!! I really enjoy it. I Just bought one of thus watch with a black dial. It looks wonderful!!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

Glaude
6 hours ago, Foxindebox said:

Fantastic review mate :thumbsup2:

Thank you mate ;) 

5 hours ago, GC said:

Stellar review of a spectacular timepiece... bravo @Glaude 

i might just have to try the gen on to see 

Thank you very much !
Try the gen, buy the rep, RWG style :D 

3 hours ago, DavidPS1 said:

Now that's a fucken' pretty, and manly watch ! Gotta get me one :) Thanks Mr G, beautiful review, beautiful pics, nicely put together review. I can see that you know your shit ... all power to you and to your obviously dedicated years of horological learning 

Thank you :bow:

2 hours ago, GingerBlubba said:

Hi noob, welcome and nice comments, but when you comment on large, picture filled posts, would you mind not quoting them in full as it's very annoying for those on mobiles. Glaude's review was boring enough first time round - I don't want to have to live through that shit in its entirety again.

And imagine me, I've written it, proofread it and then have to go back to it because of some fucker unable to click with an iPad... don't want to see that review again ... 

2 hours ago, Chixisigma said:

@Glaude the lengths you guys go to for a review is extraordinary. Meticulous research, lovingly curated into a magical review of a beautiful watch. Wonderful stuff!

You make me grateful I 'ave one from YF

Rostbif down unda,

Cxs

Thank you very much down under mate ! 

2 hours ago, bdnica said:

If I had one handy, I'd insert a 'standing ovation' gif.  You've outdone yourself my friend.  I need to come up with something better than 'The Yoda of Reviews'.  Need something that exceeds even Yoda's skillset.    All due respect to los hermanos @semperfi55 and @McGilli who are both masters of the craft;  I think you need to stand and take notice.  There's a new sheriff in town... and he's kickin' ass and takin' names! 

Have you considered doing something on YouTube or VEVO?  Think you are more than capable of adding some video and voiceover to create something special.   I know there's rep reviews on YouTube but not sure if they violate any YouTube regs?  I'd bet you'd get enough subscribers and views to make at least a few bucks... although I understand your contract with RWG is now in the high six-figures?

I told you previously this has always been my most coveted watch.  Have a similar experience to  @GenTLe and in the same general geography:

For about a decade, I had a joint venture/partnership with an Italian pharma group in Milano so travelled there 4-5 times a year during those 10 years.  Almost always flying in an out of Malpensa, the return flight always very early in the morning.  The night before leaving generally involved a big dinner that went late in to the Port and Grappa night, so I'd  usually take the Malpensa Express in the early AM hours after dinner rather than pretend to sleep.  I'd spend the extra couple hours wandering the Duty Free shops (that seemed to go on forever!).  Most the high-end watch manufacturers were represented, and I'd lust after many different pieces.  But every time (and I mean EVERY time) I'd wander past the IWC window, there it was... calling to me with a siren song that would seduce Ulysses... the Portugieser Chrono.  (the white dial, blued hands of course!)  It was lust at first sight, and to this day remains by far my favorite rep that gets the most wrist time.  It's my wife's favorite too, especially with the sailcloth strap I just got for it (more about that later). 

I've promised myself a gen many times, and for the most part could have pulled the trigger without crashing my personal economy.   But I always procrastinated, and then eventually acquired the rep.  I found the rep satisfying to where I don't feel a strong urge to upgrade to the gen right now (that, and my personal economy has taken some blows since then....!).  But it was, is, and I suspect shall remain my first true love in watch world!

Great review Glaude!  Continue making us all proud!

My place of adoption is here and not anywhere else ;) 
I prefer to keep the life and development of this board rather than going on another platform and making video is a hell of a lot more work and is difficult to do a bit at a time, those reviews are possible because I make them only when I have some free time (hence why I have this watch since this summer and the review only goes out now)
But thank you very much for your very kind words and suggestions, they are much appreciated, but you already know that my friend :) 

1 hour ago, bdnica said:

I have an aftermarket alligator strap too, although it sometimes seems overly 'dressy' for a watch that (IMHO) is designed to be both  a dress-up and dress-down watch.  IWC was offering  a line of 'Official Summer' sailcloth straps, one  that looked particularly nice on the Portugieser Chrono.  Made it appear more casual while still upscale, so thus more versatile.  IWC set a price that would make a loan shark blush, but I found a nice one on Amazon with decent sailcloth material with decent leather on the back.  The deployment clasp was easy to flip from the alligator to the sailcloth.  It's really comfortable and I like the look.  I'll put the alligator back on at some point but leaving it on the sailcloth for now (plus La Ninja likes wearing it with the sailcloth over the alligator!).  Am interested to see what options other than alligator you guys have played around with...

I'll have to google around and look at what can be good on that rep, but I must say, one thing that draw me to that watch is also the strap !

1 hour ago, GingerBlubba said:

Good point. I wish I'd experimented with straps before selling it to Glaude - because to look at, I love that watch, but it was too dressy for me so I'd only wear it at work. However at work, I like to have a date function, so it ended up that I'd never choose to wear it, hence the sale.

Perhaps if I'd tried a different strap, it would still be on my wrist instead of the garlic licker's.

But you didn't, it's mine and it's a vampire repulsive now ! 

1 hour ago, fabbe79 said:

If I may let me share my Italian leather strap, custom made from an Italian artisan 

Last picture is the rep strap on top of the raw material for the new strap

That's a glorious strap, fantastic quality, that must have been a bit expensive though, no ? Do you mind sharing the price ?

23 minutes ago, milikes said:

Great Review!!! I really enjoy it. I Just bought one of thus watch with a black dial. It looks wonderful!!

Thank you ! Post a pic here in this thread when it arrive !

bdnica
6 minutes ago, Glaude said:

My place of adoption is here and not anywhere else ;) 
I prefer to keep the life and development of this board rather than going on another platform and making video is a hell of a lot more work and is difficult to do a bit at a time, those reviews are possible because I make them only when I have some free time (hence why I have this watch since this summer and the review only goes out now)

Please.  The high six-figure salary from RWG is what keeps you around.  No shame in admitting it.

Tits McGee
2 hours ago, bdnica said:

I have an aftermarket alligator strap too, although it sometimes seems overly 'dressy' for a watch that (IMHO) is designed to be both  a dress-up and dress-down watch.  IWC was offering  a line of 'Official Summer' sailcloth straps, one  that looked particularly nice on the Portugieser Chrono.  Made it appear more casual while still upscale, so thus more versatile.  IWC set a price that would make a loan shark blush, but I found a nice one on Amazon with decent sailcloth material with decent leather on the back.  The deployment clasp was easy to flip from the alligator to the sailcloth.  It's really comfortable and I like the look.  I'll put the alligator back on at some point but leaving it on the sailcloth for now (plus La Ninja likes wearing it with the sailcloth over the alligator!).  Am interested to see what options other than alligator you guys have played around with...

IMG-2942.jpg  IMG-2948-1.jpg

This strap (although on a Steinhart) would go perfectly. 

UQ3JyQI.jpg

CollieWobbles

Chapeau Glaude :Applause:

Glaude
1 hour ago, bdnica said:

Please.  The high six-figure salary from RWG is what keeps you around.  No shame in admitting it.

No need salary when you are feed, housed, cleaned in one of the RWG private island... :D 

1 hour ago, Tits McGee said:

This strap (although on a Steinhart) would go perfectly. 

That Steinhart is really nice too, and agreed this could completely change the look of the watch, a more vintage look ! Might have to try ! Thanks for the heads up on that !

This thread worth a look (also for the knob heads commenting in that thread, that think there's a major difference between the gen and the rep... worth the look) 

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/iwc-international-watch-company-replicas/294225-pictures-and-ideas-for-a-differant-strap-for-a-iwc-3714

55 minutes ago, odoherc said:

Chapeau Glaude :Applause:

VMSG
21 hours ago, Glaude said:

You reckon the RG weigh less or more than this one ?

The rep RG weight is much less then the gen RG. so much it is a tell, you can see how it "moves" on someones wrist while the gen is heavy and looks more "stable"

fabbe79
Thank you ! Post a pic here in this thread when it arrive !
It was a gift so I don know the exact price but should be approx 100€

This is the shop www.petisse.it but I don't know if they ship the products

As far as I know they also supply some Swiss brand and qualify is very good I have 2 straps and they are fantastic

Glaude
6 minutes ago, VMSG said:

The rep RG weight is much less then the gen RG. so much it is a tell, you can see how it "moves" on someones wrist while the gen is heavy and looks more "stable"

18K Rose Gold is 75% gold, 22.25% copper and 2.75% silver, Gold has a density of 19 320 kg/m³, copper of 8940 and silver of 10490
Stainless steel has a density ranging from 7480 to 8000 kg/m³

The rep being probably stainless steel with a light plating or even wrapping that explain the weight difference, they should have used lead... :lol: 

8 minutes ago, fabbe79 said:

It was a gift so I don know the exact price but should be approx 100€

This is the shop www.petisse.it but I don't know if they ship the products

As far as I know they also supply some Swiss brand and qualify is very good I have 2 straps and they are fantastic

Thanks ! That's not bad at all ! 

They have a beautifull website and store ! 

VMSG
4 hours ago, Glaude said:

18K Rose Gold is 75% gold, 22.25% copper and 2.75% silver, Gold has a density of 19 320 kg/m³, copper of 8940 and silver of 10490
Stainless steel has a density ranging from 7480 to 8000 kg/m³

The rep being probably stainless steel with a light plating or even wrapping that explain the weight difference, they should have used lead... :lol: 

That is actually a good idea (is it safe?)!

Luxuracer
9 minutes ago, VMSG said:

YES ..... As long as you do not lick your watches!

Glaude
7 minutes ago, VMSG said:

Not really unsafe in solid form, even less unsafe since that would be coated with an extremely safe metal like gold, but that's not where the problem is : lead is soft, too soft for that use. Manufacturers would have to build a stainless steel case, hollow it, fill it with the lead, then plate or wrap it... way too complicated for a trivial detail like the weight of a rep

VMSG
Not really unsafe in solid form, even less unsafe since that would be coated with an extremely safe metal like gold, but that's not where the problem is : lead is soft, too soft for that use. Manufacturers would have to build a stainless steel case, hollow it, fill it with the lead, then plate or wrap it... way too complicated for a trivial detail like the weight of a rep
I would pay extra. Actually I would pay extra for full rg if it was possible...

Glaude
4 minutes ago, VMSG said:

I would pay extra. Actually I would pay extra for full rg if it was possible...

A lot of extra ! Just look at the price of the wrapped rep

VMSG
A lot of extra ! Just look at the price of the wrapped rep
Since no one offers that I continue to dream :)

GingerApple
17 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

YES ..... As long as you do not lick your watches!

Glaude apparently licks the watches he buys from Peedog. I'm not sure why.

Glaude
36 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

Glaude apparently licks the watches he buys from Peedog. I'm not sure why.

Yeah, but only the one from peedog, not your disgusting one, rotten tomato.

This one had a full disinfection before wearing and there was a massive ginger pube with it :

nNQAATn.jpg

HeavyKrush

Very nice pics and a great review G. Really wish I was a fan of white dialed watches as this for sure would be on my short list, though on a light brown croc strap. Kudos buddy!

Glaude
14 minutes ago, HeavyKrush said:

Very nice pics and a great review G. Really wish I was a fan of white dialed watches as this for sure would be on my short list, though on a light brown croc strap. Kudos buddy!

Thanks a lot for the comment, there's a black/grey dial on dark brown strap of it with the exact same quality from ZF 

IWC0358_6.jpg

MOT

Great review, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Glaude
1 hour ago, MOT said:

Great review, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks man :thumbsup2:

Howitzer

This review was SO good that I bought one, and in doing so also broke my no-white-dial rule. Kudos @Glaude

xiyqo.jpg

Picked up via M2M next door for a steal and landed this morning. So far I'm very impressed and it adds much needed variety and a touch of class to my watch box.  Even the rep strap isn't that abysmal, although I am now on the lookout for a nice gen alligator strap in navy blue... And you were bang on about the case/lug profile, it hugs the wrist beautifully.

Thank you for enabling my addiction.

milikes
This review was SO good that I bought one, and in doing so also broke my no-white-dial rule. Kudos [mention=89943]Glaude[/mention]
xiyqo.jpg
Picked up via M2M next door for a steal and landed this morning. So far I'm very impressed and it adds much needed variety and a touch of class to my watch box.  Even the rep strap isn't that abysmal, although I am now on the lookout for a nice gen alligator strap in navy blue... And you were bang on about the case/lug profile, it hugs the wrist beautifully.
Wonderful!! Well done mate!

bdnica
On 05/11/2018 at 11:06, Glaude said:

I would advise a proper and regular servicing of this movement if you intend to use the chrono often, that would minimise or at least alert on a potential breakage. Mine seems to be in good shape, giving a full 48hr power reserve at full wind.

Therein lies the rub.  Mine is desperately in need of a service - definitely needs lubrication.  I've yet to find a watchmaker amongst the Board-recommended folks who will service a seconds-at-6 modified 7750.  And the 2-3 outside watch people I use for reps and gens have no philosophical problem working on reps... they just think the odds of fucking it up are high so prefer not to work on it.   Am I missing an obvious option already in the RWG database?  Or does anyone have a shop in the States who works on these that I can ship it to?

Glaude
2 hours ago, Howitzer said:

This review was SO good that I bought one, and in doing so also broke my no-white-dial rule. Kudos @Glaude

Thanks mate ! ;) 

Glad you enjoy your spontaneous and impulsive purchase ant that you confirmed my impression of this awesome watch !

1 hour ago, bdnica said:

Therein lies the rub.  Mine is desperately in need of a service - definitely needs lubrication.  I've yet to find a watchmaker amongst the Board-recommended folks who will service a seconds-at-6 modified 7750.  And the 2-3 outside watch people I use for reps and gens have no philosophical problem working on reps... they just think the odds of fucking it up are high so prefer not to work on it.   Am I missing an obvious option already in the RWG database?  Or does anyone have a shop in the States who works on these that I can ship it to?

That's the main problem with this movement, finding someone willing to work on it.
If one of your watchmakers is working & servicing on gen 7750, he shouldn't be concerned about opening and servicing this one, the modification @6 isn't a complicated or fragile mod, you can show him the picture of it dismantled so he can see for himself, the thread over at RWI that I quoted (the fist one) should be enough to convince him