Jonnybaws

Daytona 116500 Noob vs ARF

Jonnybaws

Sorry... been away a while..

Did a search, I failed...

Can anyone point me in the right direction.. would like to jump back on the Rep Wagon, like to start with one of these...

Those that have them, how is the clone movement holding up, quite expensive for a Rep but are they worth it?

Ta...

slashdotcom

i was reading about the noob movement and i think is pretty much good. But for me the price is too high...

deju

luxus564

Noob! Because the chrono work!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

josmcg

I currently have an ARF and will have my NOOB on Friday. I’ll let ya know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolexaner

noob looks horrible... only the movement is good

dial looks bad, bezel looks bad... the clasp feels cheap...i bought the gen daytona just a few days ago so i know what im talking about

the noob is miles away from the gen, it almost looks like a cheap toy watch when i hold it next to my gen

ARF on the other hand is really good visually, looks good compared to the gen...of course there are some flaws, but for a rep it is really good

so the decision is pretty simple: if you want something that is visually close to the gen, then go for the ARF version

if you just want a good movement and visuals are not important to you at all, then go for the noob

Edited by Rolexaner

luxus564
dial looks like crap, bezel looks like crap... the clasp feels cheap...i bought the gen daytona just a few days ago so i know what im talking about
the noob is miles away from the gen, it looks like a cheap toy watch when i hold it next to my gen
ARF on the other hand is really good visually, looks good compared to the gen...of course there are some flaws, but for a rep it is really good
so the decision is pretty simple: if you want something that is visually close to the gen, then go for the ARF version
if you just want a good movement and visuals are not important to you at all, then go for the noob

Could u pls take pics of it

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Glaude
3 hours ago, Rolexaner said:

i bought the gen daytona just a few days ago so i know what im talking about

:ttiwwop:

3 hours ago, josmcg said:

You guys know that the good buddy @deju worked his ass off to make an actual REAL comparison of the Noob, ARF, and gen, with the three in hand ?
Anything about that should be already inside his review or should be best added in that particular thread

GC
5 hours ago, deju said:

Sadly it is unreadable, at least on my phone. Or something went wrong with the spacing...

josmcg
dial looks bad, bezel looks bad... the clasp feels cheap...i bought the gen daytona just a few days ago so i know what im talking about
the noob is miles away from the gen, it almost looks like a cheap toy watch when i hold it next to my gen

I understand they made significant improvements in v2.

Glaude
34 minutes ago, GC said:

Sadly it is unreadable, at least on my phone. Or something went wrong with the spacing...

Indeed I've just checked, seems to have a problem, I'll try to work this out with @deju in PM

DixieDynamite

I have the Noob 116520 steel Daytona (v2) with the white face. It looks great and feels great. As for the movement, it is even better than I'd anticipated. There is no contest between the Noob movement and the ARF movement. My Noob is also as quiet as a 1,000 year old corpse. Even pressed to your ear. Silent.

I look forward to buying the Noob 116500 ceramic in all black when they improve the face (the white face on the steel is, I think, better on balance than either of the ceramic faces). While I prefer the looks of the ceramic, the white dial that I have is more accurate than the rest of the Noob faces. This is why I went with it.

If you have the dough, the move to make is to buy the 116500 that you like -- white or black -- and eventually replace the face with a gen face. I've priced them out -- they are expensive but available. It'll cost you the equivalent of two or three rep watches, but if you do, as far as I'm concerned, you're pretty much done. 

Boom goes the dynamite.

Edited by DixieDynamite
grammar mistake

josmcg

My ARF looked so much better than the Noob, I turned around and immediately resold the Noob. Not worth wearing an inferior watch for a movement I will never use.

Ligma
1 hour ago, josmcg said:

My ARF looked so much better than the Noob, I turned around and immediately resold the Noob. Not worth wearing an inferior watch for a movement I will never use.

I’ve read arf chrono second hand still works. It’s  only the minute and hour subdial are frozen. Can you confirm it?

GC
28 minutes ago, Ligma said:

I’ve read arf chrono second hand still works. It’s  only the minute and hour subdial are frozen. Can you confirm it?

This is correct. 

DixieDynamite

I have read on this forum and elsewhere that the ARF can sound really loud out of the box. I didn't want to deal with that. Is this the experience of those here and if so, what did you do to remedy it (and is there a thread on this)? While I really like my Noob,  would absolutely consider an ARF as well because people seem to like them. I don't have a team.

The movement in the Noob, beyond everything working as it should, has so far been perfect in my limited experience. So that is something to consider. How it will be in a year or two is an open question, but thus far it has been everything it's cracked up to be.

Edited by DixieDynamite

josmcg

Yes, the chrono runs, but the minute hand will not move.

I have read on this forum and elsewhere that the ARF can sound really loud out of the box. I didn't want to deal with that. Is this the experience of those here and if so, what did you do to remedy it (and is there a thread on this)? While I really like my Noob,  would absolutely consider an ARF as well because people seem to like them. I don't have a team.
The movement in the Noob, beyond everything working as it should, has so far been perfect in my limited experience. So that is something to consider. How it will be in a year or two is an open question, but thus far it has been everything it's cracked up to be.

I’ve also heard that the ARF is noisy, but mine is not and never has been. I’ve worn it daily for a year now.

josmcg

I’ve also heard that the ARF is noisy, but mine is not and never has been. I’ve worn it daily for a year now.

The remedy is removing the rotor, making it a manual winding watch. It also allows you to put a slimmer case back on it giving you the same thickness as the Noob which is very close to gen. I’ve had all 3 on my arm at the same time, and I couldn’t tell a difference in thickness. So I wouldn’t factor that into my buying decision. Some of the non Noobs with fully functioning chromos are 15mm or more thick. I would avoid those. I’m sure that would be very noticeable.

DixieDynamite
On 29/12/2018 at 10:41, josmcg said:

Have you seen the ARF Daytona 116519 in person (the grey dial that comes on the rubber strap)? It's less popular than the 116500 but I'm wondering if cosmetically it's as accurate as the 116500. I was thinking about either that, or the ARF 116500 black dial since I already have the stainless steel white dial (by Noob).

nothingelse
On 28/12/2018 at 07:01, DixieDynamite said:

I have the Noob 116520 steel Daytona (v2) with the white face. It looks great and feels great. As for the movement, it is even better than I'd anticipated. There is no contest between the Noob movement and the ARF movement. My Noob is also as quiet as a 1,000 year old corpse. Even pressed to your ear. Silent.

I look forward to buying the Noob 116500 ceramic in all black when they improve the face (the white face on the steel is, I think, better on balance than either of the ceramic faces). While I prefer the looks of the ceramic, the white dial that I have is more accurate than the rest of the Noob faces. This is why I went with it.

If you have the dough, the move to make is to buy the 116500 that you like -- white or black -- and eventually replace the face with a gen face. I've priced them out -- they are expensive but available. It'll cost you the equivalent of two or three rep watches, but if you do, as far as I'm concerned, you're pretty much done. 

Boom goes the dynamite.

I have both the ceramic Noob Daytona. While the black face is actually a nightmare the white face is more than decent and in real life looks great  whitout you need to swap the dial. Btw Arf White dial is not that better: subdials are too thin and ugly to see in real life. IMHO. 

Txbzf.md.jpg

DixieDynamite

I think that ceramic Noob with white face would have been more my style than my current steel with white face, but it's very different than anything I have and the movement has been fantastic, so I'm glad to have in the collection. I did not know that about the ARF ceramic. 

That Noob of yours looks pretty good from here....

josmcg
Have you seen the ARF Daytona 116519 in person (the grey dial that comes on the rubber strap)? It's less popular than the 116500 but I'm wondering if cosmetically it's as accurate as the 116500. I was thinking about either that, or the ARF 116500 black dial since I already have the stainless steel white dial (by Noob).

I have not seen one or any reviews of one.

My ARF is a 520 with a white face. Have never, in person, seen the 500. I understand they are very good.

DixieDynamite

@josmcgthanks...

ssouthall6

116500 Noob vs ARF V2 aesthetics

2ac190621cf9a1b8513f22e1e762e8a8.jpg

Dial:

ARF 8/10
Noob 4/10

Firstly, this is much better than noobs attempt at the 116520. The ROLEX font is much closer on this model, but still incorrect due to the spacing and serif on RO.

Chronometer is better on the noob than the ARF.

Daytona red text is marginally better on the noob, too small on ARF.

Notice in this image the bezel insert. You can see here the font is too thin and too big on the noob, ARF is better. Triangle under the 60 is less skinny and pointy.

7437e64b89d9f4371a1a5e75fdc519b4.jpg

Subdial is too big on the noob and the numerals on the subdial are wonky. ARF is marginally too thin but not noticeable.

Swiss made is a little too squashed on noob and a touch too big on ARF.

Indices are noticeably not as well finished on both reps as you would expect.

71063c5e916c12bfa65db6f23b254265.jpg

Insert:

ARF 8/10
Noob 6/10

Numerals too elongated on the noob, ARF is closer.

Note the font on units per hour. S is totally wrong on noob, much closer on ARF but still not perfect.

a319dff7ddd40e7d0e02ef76286408e7.jpg

Pushers:

ARF - 6/10
Noob - 8/10

Too long on ARF, wrong angle. Great on noob.

I didn't do a visual on the case here so you will have to take my word for it, but noob is a slightly better case albeit a little skinny in the lug. ARF is a far better bracelet.

rolexlover101
On 14/11/2018 at 12:24, josmcg said:

How do you like the ARF so far?  Is it the ARF v2 904L?

Edited by rolexlover101