ape

Straight out the sack! BALL Enterprise REVIEW

ape

So now that I have a pair of reviews under my belt, I thought I would add to the collection by offering my impression of the Ball Enterprise. Besides Mrs. Ape had taken the Ape-lets out to her mother's (everything is fine, really those are just overnight bags) and having the house to myself I thought I would get the ol' Ball out. Honestly, I didn't expect another review to come together so soon after the last two, but as I was recently sitting in the waiting room of our local free clinic staring at this little piece of wrist candy it was as if inspiration just fell out and hit me right in the forehead. Who am I to argue against fate? 

IMG-8325.jpg

Naturally I winced at the thought of all the ball jokes that would be swinging my way once this was posted, but like Alec Baldwin said in Glengarry Glen Ross, "it takes brass balls…" 

IMG-8326.jpg

So sit back and adjust accordingly gentleman, as I discuss some of the hairy details surrounding this Ball of mine.   

History

You know it's interesting to think about why we really needed accurate time keeping to begin with. The Ball Watch Company seems to believe that prior to the invention of the American rail system, there really wasn't a demand for accurate time keeping in this country. No one had to fish out the Burrito wrapper from the garbage to reread how long it had to cook in the microwave. They just sat that bean roll in the windowsill and let the warmth from the sun bake its cheesy center, or they got cholera and died. Either way no one was tracking time, sun went up and sun went down. That is until the locomotive barreled its way across America. Then all of a sudden the world got into a big damn hurry and everyone had to be on time, God forbid they miss a child's first baseball game – geez! Oops I digress, Ball Watch Company gets their name from Webster Clay Ball. Webster was a jeweler from Cleveland, Ohio in the late 1800's, who insisted on accuracy in time keeping. As the story goes in 1891 two trains collided therefore resulting in the dying and dismemberment of several people onboard because one engineer had a poor functioning timepiece (Invicta). He didn't realize he was 4 minutes behind until a train traveling toward him on the same track provided an immediate reminder that he could still, even as an adult, shit his pants. So Webster stepped in and developed a system where all the railmen had to have their timepieces checked to ensure they met the following standard: 

·      No lid on the dial, size 18 or 16 (44.86mm or 43.17mm)

·      Plain white dial, bold black hands and Arabic numbers

·      Winding stem at 12 o’clock

·      Minimum of 17 jewels (Ball loved his jewels)

·      Must have a double roller (A must upgrade at any massage parlor)

·      Must be lever-set

·      Adjusted to at least 5 positions (too easy)

·      Be adjusted to temperatures of 40 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (account for shrinkage)

·      Accuracy with a gain or loss of maximum 30 seconds a week

This became known as the Railroad Standard or rather "Official RR Standard" and the COSC standards used today are based on Webster C. Ball's system. Webster didn't manufacture his own watches, but rather companies that made watches that met his strict standards (Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, and others) were rebranded with the name "Ball & Co.," or the more common "Ball Watch Co."

One more interesting detail, the next time you are in for your annual performance review and your superior tells you, "we really admire your creativity, but you need to get on the ball…" guess who you have to thank? That's right; Webster C. Ball coined that phrase. 

IMG-8352.jpg

Finally, it seems the Ball Company today is no longer a family jewel business. Currently Ball watches are made in Switzerland (or at least that is what the dial says) and owned by Hong Konggroup Asia Commercial Holdings Ltd. So much for American watch history. 

Ok enough history; let's take a look at my Ball. 

IMG-8233.jpg

Ball Fireman Enterprise Ref. NM2188C-S5J-BK

I bought this watch second hand, as I tend to do for most micro-brands over $500 retail as I don't believe they really hold their value and they certainly don't seem to increase. This watch retails for around $900, but I bought my just under $700 and they can be found for less if you are patient. So get your coin purse out. 

Case

Dimensions for this watch are 40mm diameter, 48mm lug to lug, and 20mm lug width. The thickness is a nice 11.5 mm, which fits under cuffs easily. The case is made from 316L stainless steel and has both brushed and polished surfaces. I REALLY like how this case fits on the wrist. The lugs are almost teardrop in the way they wrap over, and aren't the typical continuation of the case metal, but a separate detail of their own. Too many watches just sit on the wrist like a flat piece of steel, but not this one. The bezel is nicely finished with alternating countoured stacked surfaces, Ball didn't just put a rounded over circle of polished steel on top, they went the extra mile by giving it these distinct levels, which I believe provide a more upscale feel and a lot more interest for what is an overall simple, clean, but dressy design. 

l-Irz1-0v-Q-Cu-R0j-V3nl3-PQ.jpg

Ro-CBVTj-ZSfyc-IZLl-Lcp-DLw.jpg

The case back is solid and stamped (or cast) with a freight train and all the particulars. The shock resistance is no joke, and supposed to withstand 5,000g of shock. So no one is busting this Ball.  

p-Jk-Ty-Yu-LTb-Oo-VX-u-Oiskzg.jpg

Crystal

Crystal specs are pretty straightforward; it is a flat sapphire crystal with AR coating on the inside. There is a magnifier over the date window at 3 o'clock and does a fine job of making the date jump out. I imagine this cyclops is a point of controversy for many, if you don't like them Ball makes a Fireman without it, or you could have a skilled individual remove it. I tend to like these, and so I'm on the side of keeping it. My watch does seem to have a small flaw in the AR coating that I notice on the magnifier. Not sure how to explain it, but feels like a fingerprint smudge that can't be wiped off. 

fullsizeoutput-1188.jpg

Dial

The dial is matte black with the Ball logo printed neatly at the top and stacked upon one of many "Official RR standard" logos found on this watch. Directly below is the tragic date 1891, the year when Ball created his stringent standards. It was also the year those two trains collided reducing the crew to jaw bone and smoldering eye sockets, which really makes for great memories when I tell the story to my 6 year old, "and that's why Daddy's watch is so accurate sweetie, cause all the dead people." 

The indices on the dial are a distinct feature of this watch and of many Balls. They are tiny radioactive tubes, filled with tritium gas. These tubes aren't going to cause you to grow a 3rdtesticle so chill out. But they do glow in the dark, and do so without needing to be charged from the sun. As another reviewer has pointed out they seem to be sunken into the dial, as if they melted into place. There is a tiny little "T" between the 7 and 8 indicating that the watch does contain Tritium.  

At the bottom of the dial you will find printed the water resistance rating of 330ft and the word Automatic. Nice humble brag for one Ball. 

IMG-8370.jpg

Hands

Ball decided to go with Dauphine hands on this one and they are absolutely 100% perfect. I mean they polished them to a coke mirror shine, and left not a spec of dust on them. Both the minute and hour hand also carry a tritium tube, meaning they are visible in all lighting conditions - at all times. The second hand is nicely done with a fancy pants "RR" logo on the counter balance and a tritium tube out front as well. I do prefer to see the second hand protrude all the way to the point it touches the minor indices, but not sure if that would look correct here or not. 

Crown

The crown is of the screw down variety, contributing to this "dressy" watches water resistance. There are no crown guards on the case so it is very easy to grasp. The crown is signed with; you guessed it, an "RR" logo. When unscrewed from the case the crown does pop out with good force, and given the familiar Swiss movement inside winds at position one, date adjust at position 2, and time setting at position 3. 

wb3-Kav-Rd-Qh-Sv-MRl-HG9-E7-Eg.jpg

Movement

Ball uses the RR1103 automatic movement in this watch, which is an ETA 2824-2, that I assume Ball regulates and attaches a branded rotor to it (likely with their "RR" logo) in order to give it their own reference number, but I have never looked. Sure I could search the Internet for a picture…Well what do you know, there isn't an "RR" just the word Ball engraved on the rotor. Anyway, it is a high beat movement 28,800 bph and 25 jewels. I have never timed accuracy or power reserve. 

rr1103-35.jpg

Bracelet

I like that Ball went in an original direction with the bracelet. They didn't just settle for an oyster, jubilee, or beads of rice. This as far as I know, seems to be their design for the Fireman series. The clasp was confusing when I unboxed it, and I admit I had to look up instructions on how to open it. I am glad I did as someone mentioned that if done incorrectly with too much force the "RR" logo could be damage. Oh did I mention there is another "RR" logo on the bracelet clasp? What the hell man, this makes 4 times for this logo to show up on this one watch. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is an obvious one upper to the crown. The bracelet is solid and no rattles or jangles. Screws make adjustments easy, and I was able to find a way to fit my 6.8" wrist. 

ay1-YJa-Q4-SYWJq2w4ig-Vv0w.jpg

Lume

As I mentioned above this watch doesn't have traditional painted on lume. No sir, this here watch harnesses the power of the atom so we can see our Balls anytime of the day. That may be an exaggeration and I look forward to the comments below on how this tritium gas works, but it really is cool. The 12 o'clock indicator is red and all the others are green. It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust when in low-light situations, but the watch is completely legible and never fades. I hear that after 20-25 years this gas degrades (she wishes) and will require new tubes. Ball promises they will replace them for a small fee if they do. Suppose I will have to wait and see. 

k-Kbn-ROd1-Tpqy-JSWw9-OSTYw.jpg

Conclusion

The Ball Enterprise has remained in my collection, where others have found their way to new homes. It isn't that I wear it frequently, but it is a well-put together piece that has an interesting back-story and an upscale feel. I think it has satisfied the Rolex Explorer itch for me, and has done so without Mercedes hands.  Not that I hate Mercedes hands, I just get tired of seeing them constantly. For the price, I find it is an excellent value and has some pretty rugged specs considering its dress watch appearance. If you can find one for $600-700, I think it is well worth the price. 

Thanks for reading; I will await the impending testicular tomfooleries…

"Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape." - Colonel George Taylor, Planet of the Apes 1968

• Like 1

Glaude

That's a very nice and elegant watch ! 

Nice review of it, thanks for taking the time to do it !

@McGilli face reading this review

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "orgasm gif"

motak

love that 1st picture :clap:

Jibuti
11 minutes ago, motak said:

love that 1st picture :clap:

weirdo... I spilled coffee on table.... and will pass supper...probably...

omegex
8 minutes ago, jibuti said:

Yes once seen never forgotten -  unfortunately.

BadApple

Capital-Glossy-Ewe-max-1mb.gif

ape
35 minutes ago, jibuti said:

6 minutes ago, omegex said:

Yes once seen never forgotten -  unfortunately.

Apologies, I will include trigger warnings next time.  Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

Luxuracer

Another BALL review ... :clap:

latest?cb=20130912145036

McGilli

Well, I asked for this review - so no one to blame but myself! Some of your review - just seems... so familiar to what on my screen this last little while...

Gw5tI.png

Hahaha... Too funny....

GfK5d.png

3 hours ago, ape said:

The clasp was confusing when I unboxed it, and I admit I had to look up instructions on how to open it.

So - when I got my Engineer recently - I put it on right away and 'clasped' it. Then I was like WTF?!?!? How do I get this off?!?!? I couldn't figure out how to get it off! It was a little similar to the bracelet on my FM - but not quite. So, I feel your confusion. But now - it's soooo easy and very well done - I can appreciate what they've done with these bracelets.

GfbtT.jpg

You've got the T tritium, which is very nice by them. Ball doesn't release watches that specify T100 anymore apparently. Instead, only marking them as T. It's really nice. 

That watch looks much thicker, but it's the same height as mine, in the 11mm range. Perfect size. 

Balls becoming my favourite brand recently. I think their cost to performance/looks ratio is dead on.

Thanks for reviewing. Informative, witty without all the models in sexy dresses and shots down by the railroad etc. Ooops... Never mind.... Great review!

GingerApple

Did you tell him his testicle was hanging out? Did you tell him loudly, across the whole room, "HEY MATE, YOUR LEFT BOLLOCK HAS ESCAPED".

A missed opportunity if not. 

Awesome review again. Glaude and McGilli are dead to me.

McGilli
18 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

Glaude and McGilli are dead to me.

I've been hearing this more and more recently. While saddening, I've taken it to heart, and I've heard your pleas. "Please McGilli, start a metal band! Sing about people on the forum! Expose the truth about people who ask for the Best Sub!" I'd like to announce that it is happening - with you in mind ;)

Vocals are being finalized, then mastering will take place. So, in time for Xmas I would guess. As a present. For you. You're welcome.

Gl14r.png

GingerApple

:rofl:

This is going to be awesome! I cannot wait! Awesome.

Like @RepGuy's sexy twins awesome.

Talking of which, shouldn't they bless this thread?

RepGuy

This is a cursed thread... I like it.

Mike R
4 hours ago, ape said:

The indices on the dial are a distinct feature of this watch and of many Balls. They are tiny radioactive tubes, filled with tritium gas.

Nice job @McGilli,  Great review

a little tame for my sick brain :analprobe: , but still good. 

Really like the use of different technoligy when it comes to the lume. 

ape
1 hour ago, McGilli said:

Well, I asked for this review - so no one to blame but myself! Some of your review - just seems... so familiar to what on my screen this last little while...

It looks like I may have ripped some info from the same location hahaha. However, now that both of us have explained it, seems like everyone should be really familiar with our Balls. Maybe they want to know more about their own Balls, and we helped them with that too. People get so curious. 

ape
1 hour ago, GingerBlubba said:

Did you tell him his testicle was hanging out? Did you tell him loudly, across the whole room, "HEY MATE, YOUR LEFT BOLLOCK HAS ESCAPED".

A missed opportunity if not. 

Awesome review again. Glaude and McGilli are dead to me.

You know how it is when someone you're looking at checks the time on their watch, and then you instinctively check the time on yours. 

Well let's just say I'm thankful I noticed his situation.