Chez

Case back o ring replacement.

Chez

Hello 

I'm an aircraft engineer and it is common practice to replace an 'o' ring on a component, if it has one, each time the component is removed and then refitted. Would it be necessary or good practice to do the same with an 'o' ring each time you take off a case back on say a Submariner? Obviously a watch isn't subjected to the same heat/pressure/vibration levels as an aircraft but I thought I'd ask anyway

Cheers

Edited by Chez

BadPickle

I suppose it depends on whether the o ring is doing its job properly, we must remember where these watches are made and under what kind of conditions. 

Theres no guarantee for water resistance with reps, well at least not from the TD’s so water could potentially get in from a number of places, crown/bezel etc,  so changing the caseback gasket could be a fruitless task. 

Many choose to get their reps tested for water resistance, grease the seals etc, but I suppose it depends on how far you want to take the hobby.

I’m more in the “if it ain’t busted don’t try fix it” camp, they’re only toys after all