kennycoder

[Review] Gen vs Rep: Tudor Black Bay GMT

kennycoder

It's been a while since a did a rep vs gen.. so it's time again !

I've been after this watch for a long long time since it was initially announced and today I became a proud owner of this beauty. Of course I had to get a rep from Toro (amazing service as always) to make a proper comparison. So let's start with some bullet points...

Pros:

• Cases are virtually equal. Lugs might be a tad different on the rep but its like 1% off.
  • Bezel color looks spot on.
  • Dial seems to be also super close to the gen, can't fault it.
  • Hands overall are amazing but the shiny outline seems a tad thicker on the rep (hour hand)
  • Crown is very good but a bit bigger than on the gen (3-4%?)
  • DW font is very good, and the print is good too

Cons:

• Sunken dw (not as on modded 7750 ones ofc, but it's visible)
  • Bezel rotation is way jerkier and stiffer than on the gen
  • And of course the movement.. gen has an inhouse development movement that has different operation to these gmt modded A2836. Basically the gen operates like omega's 8500 or rolex's gmt movement.
  • Crystal AR color is blue-ish while on the gen is neutral colorless. Also the crystal is a tad more domed on the rep (around the edges)
  • Caseback has deeper engraving on the rep. Gen is more subtle
  • DW font is a tad thicker

Conclusion..

Is is a super rep? Well it's not but it's close. There are differences but for the price asked, it's worth every penny imho. I think the biggest giveaway is that slightly sunken DW. If you don't want to spend 3k+ and wait 6-12 month, go for the rep, otherwise, the gen is totally worth the price, especially due to this new amazing inhouse movement.

And now.. pics :))) (gen always on the left)

vJjBYPv.jpg

hR5Nakk.jpg

9B0GuD6.jpg

Jsj0st4.jpg

sjRkGVT.jpg

3CH5XBI.jpg

3UVzAc7.jpg

U1o9Bhi.jpg

jPd7OLt.jpg

9BHLDXX.jpg

0wgNe1M.jpg

QVHXF8n.jpg

• Like 1

kennycoder

Whoops wrong category, please move @mods

Mike R

My opinion...NWBIG

Thank you for taking the time to do this comparison.   :clap:

Foxindebox

Great review mate! I must admit I was a bit dubious about the bezel colour when I received mine, but you and Del have put my mind at rest :D

Beetleything

i had to look it up - so for others 

NWBIG which means Not Worth Buying in Gen.

Great thanks for doing that - maybe better lighting and both match with same date and time next time ?? 

Can't really see - but it seems you are saying the  date is more recessed on the Rep..?

GingerApple

As I understand it, on the Gen you set the GMT hand when the crown is in the hacking position, then adjust the hour hand and date from the date set position using the 'jumping hour hand' as seen on recent VSF superclone watches.

As this is not a superclone movement, am I to assume that the rep GMT hand cannot be independently set and simply rotates along with the minute hand?

I've not phrased that very well. Let me just ask how you set the GMT hand on the Rep? Is it different to Gen?

sgtguk

Great review bud I'm in the middle of doing the same review on other RwG lol

I agree with all you've said here, Ar is real noticeable on the wrist but only wis will be able to see it :D rehaut is noticeably deeper too, crystal is very cloudy on the edges as you move the piece around, the gen stays pretty clear but the height is pretty good on the rep, I presume its just the quality of the crystal.

The bracelet is comfy and from what I've noticed so far it only needs a few edges taking off to make it a tad smoother to get it closer to Gen feel.

Like you've said already NWBIG as it is very close! Still keeping mine though I think!

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to compare for us all.  

kennycoder

Sorry for the lighting, will try better tomorrow.

Date wheel is indeed way more recessed on the rep. Color wise i think its very close, at least with this lighting i have at home.

As for the movement, yes, the hour hand moves in 1h jumps back and forth as on other gmt rolexes and omegas. Just check youtube.

BM284

Great little review for the gen vs rep. You have 100% consolidated my need to have one! Just got to get Christmas out of the way.....

Seems the dial printing is getting better now to  - it’s noticeably raised. 

God dam I need one!!!

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, kennycoder said:

As for the movement, yes, the hour hand moves in 1h jumps back and forth as on other gmt rolexes and omegas.

To clarify, that's the Gen only?

Foxindebox
4 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

To clarify, that's the Gen only?

Yep.

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

Yep.

So the rep only works as a GMT by rotating the bezel? Otherwise it remains on local time?

FoxWilde

I wonder if those Omega 8500 mod movements could be used in these Tudor cases..........

Foxindebox
15 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

So the rep only works as a GMT by rotating the bezel? Otherwise it remains on local time?

No, the red GMThand can be independently rotated to set your second time zone. It’s at the same point as the date when you pull out the crown. Rotate one way to set date, rotate the other to move the GMT hand.

What kennycoder was saying is that on the Gen, when you fly into a new time zone, you flick the hour hand forwards or backwards, the Red hand is set to GMT (or your home hour).

Moondustesp

Great comparison.  Definitely looks worth getting. Any more reviews coming I enjoyed that :Applause:

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

No, the red GMThand can be independently rotated to set your second time zone. It’s at the same point as the date when you pull out the crown. Rotate one way to set date, rotate the other to move the GMT hand.

What kennycoder was saying is that on the Gen, when you fly into a new time zone, you flick the hour hand forwards or backwards, the Red hand is set to GMT (or your home hour).

Brilliant, that's cleared it up a treat, thank you.

kennycoder

Don't get me wrong, all the cons I mentioned are pretty minor. The overall "feel" of the watch is gen like. If you don't analyse it under a microscope, it's a superb rep.

Glaude

Nice review and comparisons ! Thanks for taking the time to do it ! :thumbsup2:

frozen

Does the GMT hand "jump"?

ShovelnTC

Thanks for taking the time.

I recently took delivery of the Rep and I'm very happy with it and comparisons like this only add to that enjoyment.

Enjoy your beautiful Gen.

xj4sonx

Currently refreshing tracking waiting on my rep to move through New York

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wannashmooze

It may be the lighting, but the rep looks better to me in the pics. The dial is crisper, and the indices are too.

Beautiful watch!

Glaude
6 minutes ago, wannashmooze said:

It may be the lighting, but the rep looks better to me in the pics. The dial is crisper, and the indices are too.

Beautiful watch!

I think the gen is just slightly out of focus

nunu78

im loving my rep and yes like its been said, thank you for giving me some peace about bezel color.