Glaude

[Discussion & Requests] Illustrated Dictionary of Watch finishing & decorations

Glaude

This the compagnon topic for the Illustrated Dictionary of Watch finishing & decorations thread.

Feel free to discuss, disagree, congratulate (at least ! :D) about this topic.
This is also the place to post a request or a question about a specific type of finishing or decoration ! 

Cheers !

paccbet

Nice job chap! A lot of things I didn’t know (but what else is new?) 

Glaude
16 minutes ago, paccbet said:

Nice job chap! A lot of things I didn’t know (but what else is new?) 

Thanks mate ! ( :lol: )

semperfi55

Yeesssss! Been waiting eagerly for this ever since you mentioned it :lol:

GingerApple

Wowsers Glaude, that's amazing mate, a really interesting (which is a first for you)! Well done.

I love the videos too. It made me decide to buy a CNC machine; one that makes CNC machines. It's just going to keep replicating itself over and over and over again. Then I'll sell all my CNC machines, become a squillionnaire and then I can leave you losers behind and hang around with my new millionaire friends on PieceUniqueGuide.bz  The forum mascot can be a picture of my dog. Because he's a pug.

Glaude
26 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

Wowsers Glaude, that's amazing mate, a really interesting (which is a first for you)! Well done.

I love the videos too. It made me decide to buy a CNC machine; one that makes CNC machines. It's just going to keep replicating itself over and over and over again. Then I'll sell all my CNC machines, become a squillionnaire and then I can leave you losers behind and hang around with my new millionaire friends on PieceUniqueGuide.bz  The forum mascot can be a picture of my dog. Because he's a pug.

Thanks mate, appreciate it, a nice comment from you (a first too! ) :D 

The videos add a more practical perspective to the definition, plus it really shows how intricate some of the details can be and how hard they are to achieve !

Your CNC machine plan reminds me of something, can't put a name on it, but if you're looking for a company name : Cyberdine system sounds good to me !

Thommo82

Bloody hell Glaude, that was fantastic!

I take my hat off to you for producing what may be one of the most informative watch threads I have ever read.

Thouroughly enjoyable and expertly put together. 

Bravo 

McGilli

@Glaude Wow... All that... AND... you managed to put Diarrhoea in the first sentence. I - was totally captivated after that.. That's a fantastic resource - Thanks for doing that.

omegex

That is an excellent piece of work Glaude and must have taken a lot of time to put together.  Perhaps it should be made a "sticky" somewhere in the forum? 

fatarms

Great information for everyone to learn from.  I learned quite a bit about various dial finishes that I never knew were a thing.  I figured guilloche covered about ten of those things :lol:  Well done, Glaude! :clap:

brang1

Big round of applause @Glaude you little truffle munching champignon! Fantastic job.... little  disappionted  though that there is no reference to that world renowned Knob Polisher @Thommo82, a man who is consistently practising his noble art daily on this very forum for all to enjoy

splke

@Glaudewell done froggie thats pretty damn good for you

GingerApple

Out of all of those cool techniques, it's the process of making an enamel dial that I find sexy. I really want to have a go at making one!

splke

being an old twat we did some enameling at school in metalwork it was pretty cool even on that scale the intricate shit is fucking ace

trailboss99
4 hours ago, omegex said:

Perhaps it should be made a "sticky" somewhere in the forum? 

It already is! 

Thommo82

You also forgot to mention the @brang1  shaft rubbing technique. 

Ends up with things looking a mess, but is so common it should be included 

Piccolo

Bravo... Superbe..! :thumbsup:

bdnica

It's official.  I want to be just like you when I grow up!  

An excellent resource with some interesting data and information not readily available in a single source.  You are rapidly reaching Tim Mosso level watch geek status.  

(Has anyone confirmed @Glaude is actually human and not some watch AI that's surpassed the Singularity?! )

Nikosaldente

What a great thread!

Bravo :thumbsup:

CollieWobbles

Great work Glaude :Applause:

Glaude
13 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

Bloody hell Glaude, that was fantastic!

I take my hat off to you for producing what may be one of the most informative watch threads I have ever read.

Thouroughly enjoyable and expertly put together. 

Bravo 

Thank you very much Aussie supreme leader ! 
Most of the resources to put that list together are only available in the Cheese eating surrendering monkey language.

13 hours ago, McGilli said:

@Glaude Wow... All that... AND... you managed to put Diarrhoea in the first sentence. I - was totally captivated after that.. That's a fantastic resource - Thanks for doing that.

Had to put something extra in there ;) Thank you my friend !

9 hours ago, omegex said:

That is an excellent piece of work Glaude and must have taken a lot of time to put together.  Perhaps it should be made a "sticky" somewhere in the forum? 

To be honest, not that much time, the more time consuming process was to find suitable pictures, with good enough resolution. The horology world isn't really up to the Internet speed when it comes to documenting and photographing. Thank you for your comment

8 hours ago, fatarms said:

Great information for everyone to learn from.  I learned quite a bit about various dial finishes that I never knew were a thing.  I figured guilloche covered about ten of those things :lol:  Well done, Glaude! :clap:

Thank you my friend, and believe me, I've just scratched the surface of guilloché, just with Breguet, there are hundreds of various patterns. As proposed, if someone sees a pattern they are curious about, I'll make the definition happen, even If I have to contact Breguet for it !

6 hours ago, brang1 said:

Big round of applause @Glaude you little truffle munching champignon! Fantastic job.... little  disappionted  though that there is no reference to that world renowned Knob Polisher @Thommo82, a man who is consistently practising his noble art daily on this very forum for all to enjoy

Thank you very much :lol: Knob polishing is a thing but always done with light out, couldn't find a video about it... or maybe I didn't look on the right video site ... :D 

6 hours ago, splke said:

@Glaudewell done froggie thats pretty damn good for you

;) Thank you !

5 hours ago, GingerBlubba said:

Out of all of those cool techniques, it's the process of making an enamel dial that I find sexy. I really want to have a go at making one!

Enamel produce some very old-school results, not to the liking of everyone, but damn they look good !

5 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

You also forgot to mention the @brang1  shaft rubbing technique. 

Ends up with things looking a mess, but is so common it should be included 

I'll need him to do a demonstration video to be included

5 hours ago, Piccolo said:

Bravo... Superbe..! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much ! 

5 hours ago, bdnica said:

It's official.  I want to be just like you when I grow up!  

An excellent resource with some interesting data and information not readily available in a single source.  You are rapidly reaching Tim Mosso level watch geek status.  

(Has anyone confirmed @Glaude is actually human and not some watch AI that's surpassed the Singularity?! )

A word of advice on Tim Mosso, as I was putting this dictionary together, because go figure everything written in here wasn't already in my knowledge, I started to have a different look at Tim Mosso comments on certain finish of the watches he review... well turns out, it often makes things up and confuse things just to look smart on the camera.
I have my Turing test in my memory slot, I mean pocket, pocket is what I meant ... :D 
Thank you, my friend !

1 hour ago, Nikosaldente said:

What a great thread!

Bravo :thumbsup:

Thank you ! Ευχαριστώ πολύ !

23 minutes ago, odoherc said:

Great work Glaude :Applause:

Thanks ! :) 

And to @trailboss99

I would just like to thank Glaude for this amazing thread that is such a valuable resource for RWG. 

It is works like this by members that make this forum special and make understanding some of the terms used in horology so much easier for folk to understand. W eare indebeted to him for his efforts here, thank you sir! 

Thank you very much Col ! Appreciate this comment a lot !
I have a feeling that this community will have more content like that in the future, and not necessarily by me... looking at you @semperfi55 ;) 

BenjaminButton

Original topic locked and pinned. Smart move as we are not to be trusted to not smear the metaphorical walls of you most excellent watchapedia with our metaphorical shit. ‘Tis a brilliant thread Sir. Dipped in briefly so lots, yet, to read and videos to watch.

bdnica
On 03/12/2018 at 09:10, Glaude said:

A word of advice on Tim Mosso, as I was putting this dictionary together, because go figure everything written in here wasn't already in my knowledge, I started to have a different look at Tim Mosso comments on certain finish of the watches he review... well turns out, it often makes things up and confuse things just to look smart on the camera.

All experts make shit up all the time.   Those who do so with unwavering confidence are the ones most highly compensated!

While you've created a thorough and outstanding resource, I've noticed a rather glaring error.  Unless I missed it, there's no reference to the different styles and levels of the 'pubic hair finish' found in various movement components.  Or is this considered a 'mod' as opposed to a 'finish'?  I've seen expert commentary on this feature from @GingerBlubba @Thommo82 @brang1 so am curious if it was an intentional omission or simply an oversight?  If an oversight, the French and English descriptions would be a welcome update in your 2nd Edition.

Glaude
1 minute ago, bdnica said:

All experts make shit up all the time.   Those who do so with unwavering confidence are the ones most highly compensated!

While you've created a thorough and outstanding resource, I've noticed a rather glaring error.  Unless I missed it, there's no reference to the different styles and levels of the 'pubic hair finish' found in various movement components.  Or is this considered a 'mod' as opposed to a 'finish'?  I've seen expert commentary on this feature from @GingerBlubba @Thommo82 @brang1 so am curious if it was an intentional omission or simply an oversight?  If an oversight, the French and English descriptions would be a welcome update in your 2nd Edition.

That's a mod, I'm currently learning how to do it with the Master Thommo ! GingerBlubba pubes mods are considered to risky, infections and stuff ! 

bdnica
2 minutes ago, Glaude said:

That's a mod, I'm currently learning how to do it with the Master Thommo ! GingerBlubba pubes mods are considered to risky, infections and stuff ! 

Thanks for clarifying.  Looking forward to your resource post on this mod following your sessions with Thommo!