Varocarras

Rolex Daytona 50th Anniversary Platinum

Varocarras

Hello, this will be my first post here and I thought I would review a watch that I absolutely love even though Im no expert so bare with me a little in the post.

The Rolex Daytona 50th Anniversary in platinum, honoring Paul Newman.

E97-D25-A6-AADB-49-D4-84-BB-06-AA8850-DB

Few watches in my opinion are so elegant and classy like this one. Looks simple at first, but what looks stainless steel happens to have been replaced by platinum in this edition, weighing at 260grams. I absolutely love heavy watches that arent big in size. The ice blue dial and the subtle brown bezel in my opinion are a combination of colors that change a lot depending on the sunlight and environment and seeing the brown become lighter or the blue become icier is just beautiful.

Few more wristshots

C4315371-B12-A-4485-97-D5-652-B31203-AD7 

Needless to say it comes at a very expensive price point, but lets hope for the sake of my wellbeing that it will keep its value. ;) Please tell me your toughts specially on heavy watches vs lighter ones. 

Edited by Varocarras
More pics

Glaude

Very nice first post ! (second one in fact :p )

Show us more pics of it, we all love watch pics ! 

Varocarras
35 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Very nice first post ! (second one in fact :p )

Show us more pics of it, we all love watch pics ! 

Thank you and thats right :), I will be adding a few more watches I have collected and Im excited for my first rep to come in soon which I will also review! Im in bed now but I will be adding more pictures tomorrow forsure

Rolexaner
On 06/12/2018 at 19:12, Varocarras said:

Hello, this will be my first post here and I thought I would review a watch that I absolutely love even though Im no expert so bare with me a little in the post.

The Rolex Daytona 50th Anniversary in platinum, honoring Paul Newman.

E97-D25-A6-AADB-49-D4-84-BB-06-AA8850-DB

Few watches in my opinion are so elegant and classy like this one. Looks simple at first, but what looks stainless steel happens to have been replaced by platinum in this edition, weighing at 260grams. I absolutely love heavy watches that arent big in size. The ice blue dial and the subtle brown bezel in my opinion are a combination of colors that change a lot depending on the sunlight and environment and seeing the brown become lighter or the blue become icier is just beautiful.

Few more wristshots

Needless to say it comes at a very expensive price point, but lets hope for the sake of my wellbeing that it will keep its value. ;) Please tell me your toughts specially on heavy watches vs lighter ones. 

Looks natty to me bro!

GingerApple

More importantly, how many did you go round in?

Fuck me though, if I had a £50k watch, I wouldn't be wafting a golf bat with it on!!!

slashdotcom

it's really nice. The dial of this one is super cool.What did you choose for first rep?

Varocarras
41 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

More importantly, how many did you go round in?

Fuck me though, if I had a £50k watch, I wouldn't be wafting a golf bat with it on!!!

It’s just a personal piece, Also do you have any knowledge of golfing deteoriting watches? Im a noob in this world. Apprecite the comments I also found out its the heaviest rolex made. 

Chiquita Fanjita
7 minutes ago, Varocarras said:

It’s just a personal piece, Also do you have any knowledge of golfing deteoriting watches? Im a noob in this world. Apprecite the comments I also found out its the heaviest rolex made. 

I wouldn’t have thought that the impact of the club face hitting the ball transferring through the shaft to your wrists would do the movement much good. Any time I play I don’t wear a watch due to this fact just in case.

FoxWilde

Well mate. Lots of wrist movement puts that rotor through some hard work. I like platinum Rolexes, mostly for their ice blue dials. But I personally wouldn't spend that money on it. I'd throw it towards a vintage piece cause I'm a nerd, and vintage Rolex seems to be a constantly growing investment.

But great watch. Enjoy it! Take it by me sometime if you ever need it re-polished LOL.

Varocarras
21 minutes ago, slashdotcom said:

it's really nice. The dial of this one is super cool.What did you choose for first rep?

I will try to post more pics haha, I chose an AP Royal oak tourbillon extran thin by JF. I will keep you guys updated.

Varocarras
9 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Well mate. Lots of wrist movement puts that rotor through some hard work. I like platinum Rolexes, mostly for their ice blue dials. But I personally wouldn't spend that money on it. I'd throw it towards a vintage piece cause I'm a nerd, and vintage Rolex seems to be a constantly growing investment.

But great watch. Enjoy it! Take it by me sometime if you ever need it re-polished LOL.

Thank you!! It actually might need a polish soon haha. I will never play golf with it again then. I an trying to appreciate more vintage models, hopefully soon!. Any recommendations on AP RO Moonphase used that go around 15-20k? I love the moonphase thin AP and that seems like a great price right?

FoxWilde
1 hour ago, Varocarras said:

Thank you!! It actually might need a polish soon haha. I will never play golf with it again then. I an trying to appreciate more vintage models, hopefully soon!. Any recommendations on AP RO Moonphase used that go around 15-20k? I love the moonphase thin AP and that seems like a great price right?

Great price indeed. I think it's waht 50K for a steel model?

Looks bloody good. The rep aint half of it.

CurioLeo

Love your Platinum Daytona. Considered offloading most of my collection for it many times but just not at the point of  being ready to cut down to 4 or 5 watches yet.  Strongly recommend not playing golf with or I might have to take it off your hands as a repair project :rofl:

Varocarras
4 hours ago, FoxWilde said:

Great price indeed. I think it's waht 50K for a steel model?

Looks bloody good. The rep aint half of it.

Yes but new ones, the old automatic ones from 2000 go for like 15k. If anyone has experience with them please let me know

also no rep has a working moonphase and thats something I feel is so unique its worth it. 

Chime in your opinions here experts :)

Varocarras
3 hours ago, CurioLeo said:

Love your Platinum Daytona. Considered offloading most of my collection for it many times but just not at the point of  being ready to cut down to 4 or 5 watches yet.  Strongly recommend not playing golf with or I might have to take it off your hands as a repair project :rofl:

Thank you!! And I learned to not do that again hahah, its a beautiful watch but I know you guys love variety of watches a lot more than me so I totally understand your point of view.  I feel like if we did a stress test on latest Rolex we would he surprised what they can handle, Ive seen some crazy hits 

Glaude

also no rep has a working moonphase and thats something I feel is so unique its worth it.

True moonphase movement exist in the rep world, but indeed, not in the AP RO range 

CurioLeo
52 minutes ago, Varocarras said:

Thank you!! And I learned to not do that again hahah, its a beautiful watch but I know you guys love variety of watches a lot more than me so I totally understand your point of view.  I feel like if we did a stress test on latest Rolex we would he surprised what they can handle, Ive seen some crazy hits 

To be perfectly honest, Jack Niklaus played with a Rolex for decades (although most do take of their watch when playing) so I doubt if it would really be a huge problem but typically not considered a great idea for a chrono which is a bit more sensitive than a three hander.

Varocarras
10 hours ago, McGilli said:

Funny enough - the last watch I ordered (it's the last one in my signature) is advertised as being SAFE for playing golf, drumming etc....

http://www.ballwatch.com/global/index.php?option=com_technology&task=55&lang=en-GB

Thats cool, Seems simple to add aswell, would love to see more shock resistance inventions, we need them to not take our watches off the wrist ever!

Varocarras
10 hours ago, CurioLeo said:

To be perfectly honest, Jack Niklaus played with a Rolex for decades (although most do take of their watch when playing) so I doubt if it would really be a huge problem but typically not considered a great idea for a chrono which is a bit more sensitive than a three hander.

I bet he has a partnership with Rolex and due to this he plays with it. That is just my guess and I bet he can fix his watch without a problem anytime hahaha. And I agree that being a chrono it can have a worse effect but so far nothing seems to be worrying me. Also do you use your chronograph for anything useful ever?

deju

Beautiful peice lovely to see it in the wild and being used! 

Glaude
2 hours ago, Varocarras said:

Thats cool, Seems simple to add aswell, would love to see more shock resistance inventions, we need them to not take our watches off the wrist ever!

Check out the Richard Mille RM35-02, that what I call shock resistant ! But admittedly, not everyone’s cup of tea !

CurioLeo

Cooking the perfect steak.....that's about it :rofl:

Varocarras
6 hours ago, Glaude said:

Check out the Richard Mille RM35-02, that what I call shock resistant ! But admittedly, not everyone’s cup of tea !

I actually own a rep of it, absolutely love it, not the price tag of the gen but respect it haha. 

Glaude
4 minutes ago, Varocarras said:

I actually own a rep of it, absolutely love it, not the price tag of the gen but respect it haha. 

Me too ! Love it ! Did a review on it, check out the RM section ;)