Exotic_Collector

Upgrade Your Rep to a Gen Strap

Exotic_Collector

I've started upgrading my favorite reps to factory straps and I really like the outcome.  For me the strap is a big part of the enjoyment in collecting reps.  The right straps make a world of difference to me.  Here are three of my latest projects.  Each is infinitely  more enjoyable.  All watches are from Andrew at Trusty.  The trick is to NEVER-EVER pay retail for the strap upgrades.  Factory straps are ridiculously priced from the manufacturer but if you spend enough time trawling Ebay you can find some amazing deals to bid on and win.  So far I've paid $140 for a new Omega Speedmaster strap (offer), $80 for a new Bell & Ross strap (bid), and $100 for a new Breitling Navitimer strap (bid). 

1. Navitimer Stainless Grey with Black Subdials 7750 Mod with OEM Breitling black calf's leather deployant strap
  2. Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Ceramic Black on Black 7750 with OEM Omega Racing Series black perforated leather deployant strap
  3. Bell Ross BR123 GMT 24H Stainless Black 2836 Mod with OEM Bell & Ross black calf's leather deployant strap

Here's are some quick pics . . .

lt1Ge.png

ltb4K.png

ltQET.png

jdinaz

deleted.

Edited by jdinaz

Thommo82

You’re 100% right. 

The strap can make the watch.

I recently found an eBay seller selling Glycine straps and bought 3 at $28AUD each. 

Great straps, super supple leather and well finished. 

Rx4Time

Yes switching over to genuine straps and bracelets when cost-effective makes a world of difference.  I've done this a number of watches I intend to keep long-term.  I have yet to find one where an OEM bracelet didn't fit the rep correctly.  truthfully my experience has been quite the opposite I found the genuine bracelet actually makes it easier to install versus the replica ones.  Below are a couple of examples where I've done this

IMG_20180302_080416fd04562698ef6962.jpg

IMG_20181007_093411c7476adc9b7ca41b.jpg
IMG_20180327_22080177bb7bfe38a6adca.jpg
IMG-20170802-WA0009550c8a2c7b63cf43.jpg

IMG_20181109_220233cb5fb5282a57cf98.jpg

IMG_20180809_0944304c2d0549e19fa52e.jpg

CurioLeo
39 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

Yes switching over to genuine straps and bracelets when cost-effective makes a world of difference.  I've done this a number of watches I intend to keep long-term.  I have yet to find one where an OEM bracelet didn't fit the rep correctly.  truthfully my experience has been quite the opposite I found the genuine bracelet actually makes it easier to install versus the replica ones.  Below are a couple of examples where I've done this

IMG_20181109_220233cb5fb5282a57cf98.jpg

Where did you find a cost effective GMT IIC N bracelet ?

Rx4Time
1 hour ago, CurioLeo said:

Depends on your definition of cost effective.... LoL.  That's a" superfranken" all genuine but the midcase. 

deju
6 hours ago, Exotic_Collector said:

The trick is to NEVER-EVER pay retail for the strap upgrades.  Factory straps are ridiculously priced from the manufacturer 

:rofl: you’re lucky if you’ve saved 10% 

1. Bell & Ross Straps are far from over priced  . Like £100 direct from them, shipped from Paris, the freebies can get like £20 on eBay. 

2. I got my James Bond nato for my speedmaster in the boutique for cheaper than internet £140 iirc. Fitted for free and free drinks and booklets and seeing other watches. 

I bought a £300 panerai strap new sealed from a dealer in Geneva for £100. 

Bought a second from a member here new for £100. 

For the effort you intimidated, the savings don’t justify the time. 

CurioLeo
46 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

Depends on your definition of cost effective.... LoL.  That's a" superfranken" all genuine but the midcase. 

Nope, not cost effective.  I bought my gen in 2010 for $6,500 AUD new from an AD (no idea what the exchange rate was as the time).  THAT'S cost effective. :D

VMSG

This is a great thread and it will be more awesome if it will contain links to ebay and such ;)

julian2002

As a contrary sod I'm doing the opposite, putting my gen watch on a rep strap. I want to see if a rubber strap suits but don;t have the spare near £500 this close to xmas to blow on something that might not quite work. So 20 quid off a chinese site and we'll see what happens. I want to try it on a nato too but haven't seen a 24mm nato I like yet, all the good ones are for smaller strap sizes.

GingerApple
On 07/12/2018 at 08:13, deju said:

:rofl: you’re lucky if you’ve saved 10% 

1. Bell & Ross Straps are far from over priced  . Like £100 direct from them, shipped from Paris, the freebies can get like £20 on eBay. 

2. I got my James Bond nato for my speedmaster in the boutique for cheaper than internet £140 iirc. Fitted for free and free drinks and booklets and seeing other watches. 

I bought a £300 panerai strap new sealed from a dealer in Geneva for £100. 

Bought a second from a member here new for £100. 

For the effort you intimidated, the savings don’t justify the time. 

:panda:

Talk about pissing on his cornflakes!!!!

You beat the crapoodle out of him!

Nasty, nasty man!

:rofl:

deju
39 minutes ago, GingerBlubba said:

:panda:

Talk about pissing on his cornflakes!!!!

You beat the crapoodle out of him!

Nasty, nasty man!

:rofl:

Though it was harsh calling BR retail straps over priced, one company that has great quality cheap straps is BR :lol:

GenTLe
19 hours ago, julian2002 said:

haven't seen a 24mm nato I like yet, all the good ones are for smaller strap sizes.

Have you checked the ones at Gekota site?

Checked actually they have great ones (the iridescent ones are amazing!) but as 24mm only the ones like these:

img_5520-edit_7.jpg

trailboss99

It's a brave man who buys OEM straps on eBay! 

Pesman

If you haven't discovered it already, look at the watchfindershop on eBay. Fantastic used straps at bargain prices. They always put new straps on their resale watches and flog the old strap on eBay.

I have picked up some fantastic bargains... IWC aligators at £40-£60, Breitling straps for £40. Bonus is that worn in straps look better IMHO

See pic for IWC Spitfire I'm wearing today on gen alligator iwc strap from them....lovely!3cbd1f70b4678ab19c10140eebef7397.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

julian2002
On 14/12/2018 at 11:35, GenTLe said:

Have you checked the ones at Gekota site?

Checked actually they have great ones (the iridescent ones are amazing!) but as 24mm only the ones like these:

img_5520-edit_7.jpg

Yeah most places have loads of decent straps, then you filter to 24mm and they all become drab, grey things suitable for serious watches for serious people. 

GenTLe

On eBay there are many 24mm choices :)