Sign in to follow this  
gravitythedon

Asian Valjoux 7750 Rotor has stopped spinning

gravitythedon

Hi guys,

I bought a Tag Carrera from Mary last year which I absolutely love but unfortunately now have a couple of issues:

1) The self winding rotor has stopped spinning, it is as if it has seized up. However I can still wind it up by hand and the watch works fine.

2) The chrono dial at 6 (hours dial) moves when the chrono is not in use. It will move as if the chrono is on until it gets to the 1.5 hr mark and then stop there, it will go back to the correct position when the reset button on the side is pressed but will then start moving to the 1.5 hr mark again.

I'm just after some advice as to what to do, is there anything I can do myself? Is it worth sending to someone for repair (I am in the UK) or perhaps even get a complete new movement fitted?

Your advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Grav.

KBH

The rotor can be several possibilities. First, one of the movement screws is loose and the rotor is hitting it. Second, the screw that holds the rotor onto the movement is loose. And third, the bearing that allows the rotor to spin is bad. You'll need to check these by removing the case back.

The chrono hand will need professional help. If you're going to have it fixed you might as well have the fulle service done on the movement.

Tressles61

Hopefully it's just a loose screw...

The rotor can be several possibilities. First, one of the movement screws is loose and the rotor is hitting it. Second, the screw that holds the rotor onto the movement is loose. And third, the bearing that allows the rotor to spin is bad. You'll need to check these by removing the case back.

The chrono hand will need professional help. If you're going to have it fixed you might as well have the fulle service done on the movement.

MikeMcNair

KBH or i can take a look at it, i have done 4 7750's lately, and i hate them, but i would at least walk you through anything i can help with.....

gravitythedon

Thanks muchly for the help guys, I have ordered my cheapo watch repair tool kit from ebay so I can partake in a bit of DIY - hopefully it is up to the job!

I will keep you all posted!

Grav.

Edited by gravitythedon

gravitythedon

Hi guys,

Well the watch tool kit arrived today and the first thing I did was to remove the back, I noticed that as I loosened it the rotor freed up and began spinning like it used to!

I carried on and totally removed the back and then span the rotor by hand and it was fine.

When I put it together I left the rubber seal off the back as I was struggling to get it to go on, now I have fully tightened it back up and the rotor is still fine.

The only conclusion I can draw is that perhaps the rubber seal was pushing against the rotor to stop it from spinning (the seal does have a kink in it as if it was trapped).

I will just put up with the chrono dial at 6 fault for now me thinks.

Thanks again for everyones help to give me the confidence to try a bit of DIY!

Grav

Del

:P Result!

samurai dave

well done, it pays to try a bit of DIY.

:P

MikeMcNair
well done, it pays to try a bit of DIY.

:lol:

x2!! also, get another o ring, and lube it, and install it to make her water tight(er) again. :facepalm: