blueoysterboy

Where is your gen/rep decision point?

MetalMickey
18 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Fox’s rule of thumb:

dont buy it unless you can buy it twice. I wouldn’t get a gen unless I can afford two of them. I have a few gen watches and pocket watches. Most are safe queens. With reps? It’s a toss up. I bought cheap reps and I bought expensive reps. I notice I prefer the expensive ones since they’re typically better in build quality. 

What do you do with the second one? 

Genius
1 minute ago, metalmickey said:

What do you do with the second one? 

The man has 2 wrists

Genius

I literally have no limit.  I say I do but then I'll buy something more expensive than that limit.

I'm now at the stage I'd rather spend my money on genuine watches than reps but it won't stop me buying a rep I like.  And I said I'd only buy gens you can't get a proper rep of.  But then I bought a gen steelfish and it's almost identical to the rep I sold and 10x the price.

I said frankens were retarded I have 2 in my watch box and an even more expensive build than either of those on its way back from ROLIE!

For me watches are like drugs I'm addicted I cant stop buying the fucking things and my decisions make no sense at all no matter how I try and justify or set limits I'll find a loophole.

Only positive to this is I'm actually spending money on watches which are at least some kind of material asset as apposed to drugs which I'd have sniffed before I even have chance to pay my dealer

FoxWilde
30 minutes ago, Genius said:

The man has 2 wrists

Genius gets it. :D

bdnica

Let's be honest here:  rich or poor, cost - price is always an issue with everything, whether it be wives or watches.  I side with the buy what gives you the happy feeling... the buzz of excitement when DHL posts 'Custom Clearance Complete - Package Released to Receiving Agent' (whether it be wives or watches).

But for me, functionality desired dictates the choice more so than price - cost.  Specifically, dive watches.  I know there's debate on whether swimming and surf activity is possible with reps if they're 'serviced correctly'.  I'm not talking about actual diving, just swimming in the pool, playing around in some heavy surf, etc.  And I've had the dual emotion of being pissed off coupled with being somewhat embarrassed when exiting the surf with my rep 'Professional Dive Watch Certified to a Bazillion Meters and Saturation Diving Classification to the Highest Standards blah blah blah' being saturated... just not in the context intended!

So for my pool & beach watch it's buy a gen at whatever price point you're comfortable at.  There's a ton of serious gen dive watches for under $500.  Some very cool ones for under $250.

Reasonable minds can differ and I'm always open to critical disagreement.  But in the spirit of the holidays, any of you who disagree with me on this can fuck off!  :christmas2:

MetalMickey
45 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Genius gets it. :D

He's an expert on wrist action :johng: 

BadPickle
37 minutes ago, metalmickey said:

There’s plenty about :lol: 

Genius
2 hours ago, metalmickey said:

You said you wouldn't tell people what we did at the GTG 

BenjaminButton

Cheap fun and quanity for my stingy fake trinket choices. The super reps, scatched cases, piss stained dials and genuine part fakeries are fools gold to this tight arse. 

NFleischer

Over the last several years, I have moved away from reps towards lower priced gens. The price of reps is now in the $400 range and for that or a bit more you can get a

Seiko, Glycine, Hamilton, Steinhart, etc. Many of these have gen Swiss ETA movements. The QC with reps is just not as good. The final straw now has been a DOA rep

that I sent back to China for repair in September and was never seen again. About $350 probably down the drain. On top of that, the TD is giving me a hard time. Compare that to

ordering at Amazon or other online shops, free 1-2 day shipping and hassle free returns.

RussP

It's your $$$.

Do what makes you happy.

Why impose limits on your happiness?

shyreplover

To me above 500usd for rep is no go.
10 years ago, my budget was 300usd.
There are plenty of choices out there and I don't mind buying preowned rep.
I'm always trying to be discipline in terms of spending on unimportant stuff.... education is expensive and I have 2 kids.

mascot

Sadly I don’t think I’ll ever pull the trigger on a gen, after 2-3 years I get the urge to pick up a new watch; hence the rep game. I did notice I’m running out of reps that I’m attracted to. Maybe once I have every rep I’m attracted to and figure out which gets the most wrist time then I’ll buy the gen. 

bdnica
10 hours ago, RussP said:

It's your $$$.

Do what makes you happy.

Obviously you're not married.....

blueoysterboy
22 minutes ago, bdnica said:

+1, seems to me that one of the definitions of a wife is to "impose limits on your happiness"  :lolcina:

Glaude
11 hours ago, RussP said:

It's your $$$.

Do what makes you happy.

+1

42 minutes ago, bdnica said:

16 minutes ago, blueoysterboy said:

+1, seems to me that one of the definitions of a wife is to "impose limits on your happiness"  :lolcina:

Or you both married the wrong person ... :p 

Best wishes to the Nica Ninja @bdnica :giggle:

Let's see it the other way around, did you ever thought of the limitation of the happiness of the wife you impose by just doing stuff ? :lol: 

bdnica
8 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Or you both married the wrong person ... :p 

Best wishes to the Nica Ninja @bdnica :giggle:

Careful! The Nica Ninja likes you and thinks French people are more cultured and aware than gringos (a consequence of her poor, 3rd world education no doubt).  Trust me, you don't want her to turn on you!!

10 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Let's see it the other way around, did you ever thought of the limitation of the happiness of the wife you impose by just doing stuff ? :lol: 

I can only quote the wise observations of @JohnCocktoastin - 

Ah, to be blissfully unaware, like notre ami Glaude.   He's used to the laissez faire attitude of the French babes.....

Glaude
1 minute ago, bdnica said:

Trust me, you don't want her to turn on you!!

By mentioning that the burden could be to have a husband, I think she will side with me here :p 

bdnica
10 minutes ago, Glaude said:

By mentioning that the burden could be to have a husband, I think she will side with me here :p 

Trust me, you don't want ME to turn on you either!  :dry:

Cheers mate!

BenjaminButton

The old take my wife gag always comes to mind. Everyone’s a comedian on the flypaper? If only.

9200abf1d827825628951a4600760b72.jpg

PostMaster

Best time for a gen is never.. you buy what you want when you want, these reps are getting 1:1 why spend that much unless it’s investment purposes or insecurity. All about budgeting in life and if it’s a addiction then sticking to high end reps.

Season greetings 

RussP
5 hours ago, bdnica said:

Correct.

But I was for a very long time.

brang1

this was a fun thread i missed before Xmas... the highs n lows of watch buying. Drug indeed