joeshmoe

A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin

joeshmoe

iUkGo.md.jpg

iU2EL.md.jpg

iUGYK.md.jpg

This is my first rep and first review so hopefully this is formatted in a way that makes sense and is useful. 

I spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading threads and asking questions to try and narrow down which rep I wanted to purchase. Thank you to everyone who helped me make this pick. Here is a check-list of what I was looking for: 

• Dress Watch
  • Thin Casing 7-10mm 
  • 37-41mm Diameter
  • Rose gold option 
  • No blaring tells when on the wrist
  • Minimalist design

This list and the help from members here narrowed my choices down to the following:

• Bregeut Classique 5177
  • JLC MUT Moon 
  • Vacheron Constantine Patrimony
  • Saxonia Thin
  • Calatrava Thin

Ultimately, I settled on the Saxonia thin because it was thinner than the JLC and I thought the movement looked more exciting than some of the others. 

The Good

The watch looks great in person when you view it from a normal distance. The casing finishing is quite good with the polished front and back as well as the brushed sides. They've done an excellent job getting the shape of this to really look quite similar to the Gen, it does come in 3mm thicker, but they cleverly packed about 1mm into the case-back so it looks only slightly thicker than the Gen when on the wrist. I feel that the positioning of the markers on this rep is pretty solid, the top two are ever so slightly misaligned, but it's something you'd never notice without inspecting it very closely. Also at 8.5mm thick, it's pretty damn thin for a rep and it feels great when wearing it. I've worn it to a couple of weddings and it works really well in a suit. 

The Bad

There are two design elements that feel flawed. The first are the rounded spring-bars, which are actually just normal spring-bars that the factory bent. They didn't leave enough room between the casing and the holes on the lugs for a straight spring-bar. This isn't super noticeable, but is definitely annoying as an owner. The second, is the sapphire Chrystal which doesn't sit flush with the casing. This creates a very thin, raised edge where the casing meets the glass. The finishing on the movement isn't bad, but it's definitely not great upon close inspection, particularly the fake screws on the rotor. There were also a few quality control issues, but I guess that's part of this hobby. First, the hands were not properly polished and the hour hand has some small blemishes that are visible upon close inspection in the right light. The crown is actually slightly crooked, which is disappointing and not something I would have noticed in any QC pictures. The Miyota 9015 movement feels like it desperately needs some grease, it feels like very soft grinding if I wind it manually. Finally, as is always the case, the strap feels like crap, switch it out! 

Conclusion

It's definitely a great option as a thin and elegant dress watch. The quality is pretty solid, but of course the finishing and build quality does feel significantly cheaper than some of my "luxury" gens. Would I have still purchased this watch today? I probably would have gone for the JLC MUT Moon ZF rose gold with black dial instead. As the Saxon Thin is such a simple and minimal design, it's hard to get excited about wearing it and usually it just sits in my drawer. But having said that, it's a hell of a value for $300!

Edited by joeshmoe

Glaude

Damn those are some sweet pics for a very dressy and classy watch ! 

Nice review too ! Thanks for sharing ! 

joeshmoe
14 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Damn those are some sweet pics for a very dressy and classy watch ! 

Nice review too ! Thanks for sharing ! 

It's definitely classy! I feel like if I stuck it on a beautiful strap it would feel even better. 

Glaude
3 minutes ago, joeshmoe said:

It's definitely classy! I feel like if I stuck it on a beautiful strap it would feel even better. 

No doubt about it ! With simple watches, the strap is a huge part of the overall look, in my opinion !

FW2

Bringing up this old one to ask if any of you had the chance to see or buy the Blue Copper one. I saw it at a TD and it seems to me the dial is quite poor in front of the gen, which could seem right considering the gen goes around 25k if i'm not wrong...

blueoysterboy

Very nice, but not so sure about that dial, seems a bit blingy for a dress watch.  IMHO

tribefan
29 minutes ago, blueoysterboy said:

Very nice, but not so sure about that dial, seems a bit blingy for a dress watch.  IMHO

I agree but could also just be the second pic. This is one that might look a lot better IRL than in a close up pic.

FW2

Wait...first pic is rep, second pic is gen

tribefan
9 minutes ago, FW2 said:

Wait...first pic is rep, second pic is gen

So the wrist shot is gen?

FW2

Yes the wrist shot is the gen one.

FW2

Also interesting to notice how the writing A LANGE et SOHNE changes from a ref to another, even if we're always talking about the saxonia. I once thought it was a rep flaw, but it isn't so.