JoeyTate

A few (possibly silly) questions about the risks of buying a rep

GingerApple
3 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

in my exp, the worst that can happen is a 30quid import tax bill and the customs guys don’t even open the package.

This^^^^^

I'm a relative Noob still, but after a year in the game and 40 odd watches bought, I've had one import tax bill - which was for the one and only Gen I've bought in that time :facepalm:

splke
14 hours ago, JoeyTate said:

So i have been doing some reading around the site and I'm still not sure I  fully understand some of the risks. Figured I should just ask the more experienced members. 

Lets say I'm based in the UK and buying a single rep watch. There is the obvious risks: that it is seized, doa or has some other problem.  I'm actually okay with each of these - happy that using a TD and doing your research will minimize the risk and it is a fixed monetary amount you could lose (the price of the watch) ...

But:

• I read somewhere that customs could fine you up to to retail value of the rep if you are caught. Does this actually happen and if so how likely is it and how can you try to prevent it?
  • I have myself ended up with a surprise customs import bill when GW ordered a dress from China ... months after it arrived. Made the whole purchase no longer worth it. Do you get these from having a rep shipped? I read the TDs may label them as parts - does this avoid the problem or is there some other way they prevent it?
  • I also read you could end up with your address blacklisted if caught - how often does this happen and what does it actually mean?
  • Is there a risk you could end up with a criminal record or in other legal trouble? ... has this ever actually happened to anyone? ... what is the worst case scenario here? More importantly how can you prevent it getting that far?

Thanks in advance - and if any of the above are silly questions then feel free to tell me I'm being a paranoid tit!

Joey

Joey 

It'll be reet pal

RussP
8 hours ago, AskGinger said:

This^^^^^

I'm a relative Noob still, but after a year in the game and 40 odd watches bought, I've had one import tax bill - which was for the one and only Gen I've bought in that time :facepalm:

You have just the one gen ?

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, RussP said:

You have just the one gen ?

Is this a trick question? I feel like I'm missing the point here. But yes.

RussP

No tricks.

Simple question.

GingerApple
2 minutes ago, RussP said:

No tricks.

Simple question.

I've got a couple, but only bought one in the past year (since I discovered reps). I'm very much in the middle of my rep obsession phase.

Luxuracer
4 hours ago, AskGinger said:
54 minutes ago, RussP said:

No tricks.

Simple question.

Is this a trick question? I feel like I'm missing the point here. But yes. I only bought one LUXURY gen this year.

I fixed it for you.