hanski

What is the best sub (serious from a different perspective)?

hanski

At the risk of being banned, hanged, tarred, and feathered I’m going to put a question out there: what the best sub (114060ln)?

But wait! There’s a twist to my question, I’m curious about which factory or maker is doing the best work with actual construction and assembly. I’m not worried about aesthetic accuracy but rather was it constructed as it should be? 

I’ve been living in the vintage world where the Cartel reps throw in a bunch of extra gaskets to make up for poor tolerances, ease of assembly, but ultimately are not constructed the way a gen would be. 

I have a project in mind but I’d like to start with a decent assembly (again aesthetic accuracy doesn’t matter to me). I’m wildly out of touch with modern subs and am hoping for a helpful hint (aside from use the gosh darn search bar and read - because I am and I will). 

All the best to you all and don’t be too harsh! 

;)

RussP

ARF according to those in the KNOW.

Waspy

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

Well, I would say a BK Submariner is about as good as you will get OTB.

He strips them down, re-assembles them with a list of minor improvements and installs a gen Swiss ETA movement.

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/141391-product-offering-noobfactory-sub-c-black-v9-swiss-eta-2836-2/

I THINK if you don't fancy a Noob V9, he will carry out this work on different models if you ask.

Glaude

That's for once, a good and interesting best sub thread ! :thumbsup2:

Luxuracer
8 hours ago, mzinski said:

I’m going to put a question out there: what the best sub (114060ln)?

For a Submariner No-Date 114060LN, you have only a few choices ... JF SH3130, Noob V8 A2836, and BP SA3130

JF takes the win every time. Also with a 'stable' clone SH3130 movement, it takes gen parts direct swap if you want to go 'franken'

hanski

Thanks guys! Super helpful tips - and I'm off to the running with research. 

:christmas2:

porschespeedster

The clones as many people will tell you are not reliableeeeeee

Get an ETA or whatever unless you plan on swapping in a gen dial or gen movt down the road. 

Landlocked Surfer
19 hours ago, porschespeedster said:

Get an ETA or whatever unless you plan on swapping in a gen dial or gen movt down the road. 

This is good advice. Having just gone through the broken clone movement thing with an Explorer 1 I’d only buy something with a 2836 / 2824 movement going forward. 

ukstocktrader
On 21/12/2018 at 05:11, Luxuracer said:

For a Submariner No-Date 114060LN, you have only a few choices ... JF SH3130, Noob V8 A2836, and BP SA3130

JF takes the win every time. Also with a 'stable' clone SH3130 movement, it takes gen parts direct swap if you want to go 'franken'

? I am looking for a No Date Sub, have never purchase a Rep. Can you state why the JF is better than the Noob V8. ? Who of the trusted sellers do you suggest buying off of.?

I want something that is reliable, if this is not possible is it better just to buy a Ginault. ?

blueoysterboy

Well Matt, your well intentioned "what is the best sub..." post just got morphed into a typical "what is the best sub..." thread.  No good deed goes unpunished. :facepalm:

Luxuracer
On 21/12/2018 at 15:06, porschespeedster said:

Yes ... 'Many' people will tell you that ... but how many of those people just read and repeat what other people said ?!?
I have 2 SA3135 and 2 SH3135 ... all has been running fine for over a year now. 
On the other hand, one of my A2836 dead and one A2824 kept having issue costing me over $80 in repair.

I would never recommend anyone getting a SA3135 because it had been proven that it has poor material and very dirty from the factory.
The SH315 is repeatedly confirmed by many modders and members that it's better quality, clean and stable. 

FoxWilde
2 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Yes ... 'Many' people will tell you that ... but how many of those people just read and repeat what other people said ?!?
I have 2 SA3135 and 2 SH3135 ... all has been running fine for over a year now. 
On the other hand, one of my A2836 dead and one A2824 keep having issue cost me over $80.

I would never recommend anyone getting a SA3135 because it had been proven that it has poor material and very dirty from the factory.
The SH315 is repeatedly confirmed by many modders and member that it's better quality, clean and stable. 

I agree with Lux

SH3135s have greatly improved with time. They’re up there with ETA clones in reliability IMHO. the only issue I’d have with them is pets sourcing.

theyre real great movements now. And I don’t know bout you @Luxuracer, but I’m really intrigued on VRFs 3135 clone