repmaster1234

Repmaster's 2018 Highlights

repmaster1234

It’s that time of the year I suppose. Although I don’t have a huge collection of watches, I’ve had the chance to work on quite a few really cool ones this past year. So rather than documenting my personal collection, I’d like to document a collection of my memories of 2018. While I’ve already posted most of these pictures elsewhere on the forum I thought it would be fun to see them all in one place.

A lot happened over this past year - I progressed from opening a caseback for the first time to being able to build my personal dream watch. No man is an island, and I’d like to offer a special thanks to a couple people for helping me out along the way. @NCRich, thank you for always providing me with sound advice from your wealth of knowledge on watch modification and repair, freely offering your labor and spare parts, and for putting up with me taking much longer than I ought to on my half of our projects. @Bart Cordell thank you for helping me to perfect my decal dial making skills early on in the year. @Alhig72for your always helpful advice. @JimboJames1972@GC@paccbetfor being great owners of watches that I’ve worked on. And of course a special thanks to the rest of the forum community for being fantastically amusing and, occasionally, really genuinely kind ;).

So, starting from the beginning of the year. I was gifted a 14060 sub replica that the gifter had purchased while in China. Considering it was not a very expensive watch, I thought it would be interesting to take apart and clean up as moisture had built up on the inside of the crystal. I also rebrushed the bracelet and polished the case. This was the first time I took apart a watch. I really enjoyed the process, and it gave me the confidence to tackle something more serious.

FmkyR.jpg

Fm0NZ.jpg

At this point I had my eye on vintage Rolex. Funnily enough, I had strongly disliked the brand before I received that sub. Now I am a huge vintage fanboy, as will become self evident. I wanted a 6538 sub, being a big fan of Sean Connery and the original Bond films. Forum research pointed me to Bart’s decal dials and I was off to the races. Rich helped me out with this one in exchange for a tropical gilt dial that I made him.

FmwDy.jpgFmlNG.jpg

Fmgyq.jpg

After the 6538 was complete I decided to approach a couple projects on my own. The results of my efforts were a 5513 for a friend and a tropical 1016 for Jimbo.

FmxHg.jpg

FmakL.jpg

FmFL6.jpg

Now it’s Fall. Rich and I had a 6542 project in the works, but its completion was still distant. I decided to spice up my collection. I purchased a Seiko Pogue in rough condition and restored it. I also changed up the dial on my 6538 to a more rare variant.

FmqNr.jpg

FmIHb.jpg

A bit later, I traded the 6538 with GC for a 1655 Explorer, which I aged a bit. I also completed another 5513 sub for my dad and a 6200 sub for the friend with my earlier 5513.

FmCe2.jpg

FmcBd.jpg

FmYk0.jpg

Just last month I completed an Airking for Paccbet, which was a real challenge but a lot of fun.

FmdDF.jpg

And the highlight of the year was the completion of my 6542 project with Rich. We had started planning this thing in April, and there couldn’t have been a better way to end the year than by finishing it off this month. Being my dream watch, I’m really glad that we took our time with this project and got it right the first time around. This is one that I’ll never let go of.

FmO1I.jpg

Fmyv3.jpg

Thanks for reading, and a merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Alhig72

Top work mate and thanks for the shout out, your dials are looking very good indeed

RussP

Love your work.

Especially the 6200 sub.

Perhaps when I'm ready to acquire my next piece I'll contact you to see what's available?

Merry Christmas.

Russ.

Theviking

A great year @repmaster1234, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Luxuracer

Very talented ... @repmaster1234 :clap:

You do incredible works in a year time. :notworthy:

n18lld

Pics are superb mate

GC

You have one of the most refined collections when it comes to vintage Rolex... even better than that, you have the skills to make anything your heart desires. 

I look forward to seeing your wonderful collection expand 

wish you a wonderful Christmas as well fella 

NCRich

Wonderful watches, and a top notch fellow.  Enjoyed it all!  Have a wonderful holiday season.

paccbet

Damn you only started not too long ago? That is some crazy progress! Been wearing the 5500 a lot too :B):

Junior88

You've come a long, long way in a short period of time. Doing things I'm not even considering. Nice work, sir. 

Merry Christmas!

Teambl

Great accomplishments in a short period!  Really nice work!

Glaude

Stunning pieces and photography ! 

Robtherib

Great post and pictures repmaster. I'm in the older age bracket and have for the past forty year + been collecting watches. I trained as a dental technician in the early 60's and thought I was dexterous with my hands, so when I started playing with the innards of a watch and completely mucked it up I was surprised and disappointed my background was of no use at all. I have made the same mistakes over the years. So total respect to you for such a adept professional approach to all your achievements. You should be in the apprentice stage and not at the standard you're at in such a short period.

You have prompted me to share my vintage Rolex collection on the forum. Like you, I'm the past I was not a Rolex fan and thought the modern Rolex too showy and blingy for my tast. After getting my first rep Rolex Sub and wearing it for the past week, I've completely changed my mind ! But I still have nostalgia for my vintage Rolex dating 1928-1967 models. Like a vintage car they only come out high days and holidays. I'll end so saying, thanks for reaching out to a newbie.....

Mystery Shopper

Excellent work!

I really enjoyed reading your summary.

:clap:

Bart Cordell

Stunning work and beautiful collection mate !
I love your tropical dials, I’ve never been able to achieve a good one.

FoxWilde

This guy's a damn wizard!
What was your budget on that 6542 build?

repmaster1234

Thanks all for the kind words :) You all make this forum a really special place.

@RussP, feel free. I usually do things on commission. 

@Robtherib I’m glad I could help you out! And I can’t wait to see those vintage Rolex pics you’ve been promising. 

@FoxWilde All in it cost less than $200 I believe. You know the saying, pick two - good, fast, or cheap. Rich and I picked good and cheap :D 

fatarms

You built that 6542 for less than $200?  :Thinking:  I might have to try one...  how did you source/make the bakelite insert?

repmaster1234
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

You built that 6542 for less than $200?  :Thinking:  I might have to try one...  how did you source/make the bakelite insert?

I made it. I spent months figuring out how to do it but in the end it was worth it because the fonts are much more accurate than the Vietnam ones. I have a thread somewhere on here with my build process. 

processengr

Thank you for sharing! This thread is an example of why I love this forum, and visit daily...

FoxWilde
2 hours ago, repmaster1234 said:

I made it. I spent months figuring out how to do it but in the end it was worth it because the fonts are much more accurate than the Vietnam ones. I have a thread somewhere on here with my build process. 

Remind me to give you money for one :D