Mendes458

Why do the factories do this?

Mendes458

As some of you may know I have been looking around for a Patek for a while now. I was looking in the for a complication series with a blue dial. Andrew from Trusty Time had just got a new 5205 in, and it seemed pretty good. 

And from these gen picks you can see why I got excited.

SOJ7d.png

Look At It:daffy:

SOwrq.png

I was like fair enough this could be good. I looked at all the usual things date windows, size, so on and was thinking this is as good as they're going to get for a 5205 (only complications that don't work are the month and the moonphase which goes around with the 24-hour indicator, but I was okay with that). I assumed the dial was like the gen because in the pics it looks like it is darker on the outside and lighter in the middle like the gen.

I put my order in and had one last look at the pics and saw the dial was just blue instead of a "gradual blue" like the gen which I think gives it the wow factor. It is I think a pretty obvious difference and I know it would just piss me off every time I looked at it. I presumed it would be too hard to manufacture and if you wanted the gradual dial you just have to get a gen.

But then I found this

SO1p2.png

This has the gradual dial. So the Chinese factory even although not the same can make them. 

What annoys me is that they got so close and put so much effort in and then they decided not to go all the way, and left the thing that you look at every time you check the time wrong. 

Now the question is can you mod this to fix it. Well, can anyone else do it (for a financial gesture of course) as I have 0 modding skills? 

LightGeek

So they can sell you a v2.

Mendes458

Well I wish they would hurry up and just release V2 

How long does it usually take for a v2 to come out because I really don't want to wait like 2 years to get this thing?

'It's a bit like Ferrari and their tastes the difference cheese' If you get that reference you are equally as sad as me 

_DC_

Speaking from experience getting the colour right on a dial is near impossible, even harder to achieve the correct graduated finish. They do seem to manage the graduated finish on the Nautilus reps but the colour is still off!

Looking at the video I’d say the blue dial 5205 is a definite miss, aside from the lack of graduated black edges the bigger problem is the colour is far too bright. Same as the 5070 blue dial rep, they made it a really bright vivid blue which is nothing like the gen, this 5205 looks to be the same colour!

DC

Khronos

My rules regarding rep purchases:

Stainless steel

Black dial

No chronos

Preferably no date

Simples. 

This sort of watches, that you're after, are not and never will be cash cows for the "factories". They couldn't give less of a f&#k for what you and 10 others want. They will make what thousands of others want and that's Rolex sports SS models. And simple APs and Omegas. Period. They are not watch enthusiasts, they're out to make money with minimal effort. 

Godfathar

I do not think it has a gradual color..  I think the sun burst effect makes it look lighter in the middle.. and believe me.. on the wrist.. those things don't matter..  the rep would look the same on the wrist. It's only an issue if you hold it next to the gen, or when you zoom in a pic..  that's my two cents. 

Glaude
14 minutes ago, Godfathar said:

I do not think it has a gradual color..  I think the sun burst effect makes it look lighter in the middle.. and believe me.. on the wrist.. those things don't matter..  the rep would look the same on the wrist. It's only an issue if you hold it next to the gen, or when you zoom in a pic..  that's my two cents. 

According to Patek website it's a "Blue sunburst, black gradated" but I do agree with you that doesn't really matter, to me by looking at Trusty's video and QC example, it doesn't look far of the gen, at least not as far as some pic seems to show

NFleischer

Don't you just love "Trusty specials"? $5 off a $500 watch!

Khronos
6 minutes ago, NFleischer said:

That's what makes them so special :D

Mendes458
1 hour ago, NFleischer said:

Who remembers the days it was $20 off a watch.

Now that was worth it

NFleischer

The price of reps goes up and they lower the 'special'??

This is why I buy mostly lower priced gens now. Really good deals on the gray market sites.

Jibuti
On 30/12/2018 at 18:39, Mendes458 said:

Who remembers the days it was $20 off a watch.

I can still get 25-40 bux off with my TD I usually use... I can tell you his name but I have to kill you then, of course...

Mendes458
9 hours ago, jibuti said:

I can still get 25-40 bux off with my TD I usually use... I can tell you his name but I have to kill you then, of course...

You know what for 40 bux fuck it