Jump to content
Glaude

Mk V5 Patek Philippe 5711/1A-010

Recommended Posts

TomatoheadFred

Re the dial colour question, I've a friend who's worked for Patek for donkeys years and in that time has handled more Pateks than the overwhelming majority of people in the world (including watches such as the Grandmaster Chime which, as I understand they've only built seven ever, means that's a pretty rare thing)!

I'll run the v5 past said friend at the first opportunity and get their views on colour before reporting back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
1 hour ago, BenjaminButton said:

 

Synchronicity that’s what that is my friend.

 

He’s my life experience tuppence. Excuse the ranting nature but I’ve dealt with colour comparisons all my life and computers have only caused me professional pain in my perfectly formed arse.

 

I’ve never been in anything so technical as the watch making industry but my working life has been spent in creative industries starting in graphics ( hated it and was shit at it) and moving into prop making in films and tv and later years in film related events still on the making side. When I started out in graphics computers were almost non existent. Magic markers and Rotring pens - bleed proof pads - art board and grant photographic enlargers. Colour was all specified with Pantone swatches and clients approved everything from hard copies either biked over or from visiting the offices. Similarly when I started in the film industry everything was hard copies and Pantone references many other paint swatch references or actual paint mixes and affects painted by hand by artists and approved in the flesh by designers. Computers soon became the biggest pain in the arse for getting approval on colour and form. The inaccuracies of reproduction both via camera lenses (distortion) and the total inconsistency of viewing colours on any screen became and remain a constant battle with repeat explanations and relentless stupidity of clients whom increasingly were not designers and had fuck all creativity. ‘It doesn’t look the same Ben’ ‘no that’s right of course it doesn’t you talentless twat your a fucking marketing moron who’s looking at it on your fucking phone’. Colours cannot be compared on 3D objects with any accuracy via a photo and viewed on a digital screen. Flat colours for print can be compared on calibrated screens but photos of 3D objects viewed on digital screens fail on so many levels and issues that it’s entirely pointless trying to assess colour accuracy. Simply it has to be seen in the flesh. That said some colours are glaringly different but I still wouldn’t trust it until it’s in the flesh even two objects photographed side by side will have different light and shade on them. It’s not accurate.

I fully agree with your view and experience !

My last FAQ point was indeed to show that there's so much to consider when comparing pictures from different origins, that unless you have this rep and the gen in hand, it's pointless to ditch out this rep, only for that reason.
Even with the gen, what dial number of gen will you have, is still to consider when comparing them

1 hour ago, bdnica said:

Despite being tagged, I somehow missed the party until now.  It may be due to thinking I'd landed on Patek's website rather than the RWG forum?   This is a pretty amazing effort even by your standards!  Starting to think you might be a 'mole' from PP here to investigate piracy and intellectual property infringement?  You simply know way to much about this to be a mere mortal and not some sort of Patek lifeform.... hmmmmmm.

Seriously, it was a great read; technical but still interesting - and your photos are getting even better.  I never really 'got' the  Nautilus 5711.  It just never pushed the right buttons with me.  Not in the way the original Royal Oak did/does.   And to be honest, I still don't feel any desire to own one!   But after reading your review, I have a newfound appreciation and respect for it.  

Just be careful amigo.  If you keep this up you'll turn the membership in to a group of educated and thoughtful people.  We certainly can't allow that to happen...

Great job!  Cheers and Happy New Year! 

Thank you very much my friend !

I don't work for Patek, but I could consider an offer from them if they are ready to pay the price for such a fine piece of cheese eating surrendering monkey like me .... :lol: 

1 hour ago, AskGinger said:

Re the dial colour question, I've a friend who's worked for Patek for donkeys years and in that time has handled more Pateks than the overwhelming majority of people in the world (including watches such as the Grandmaster Chime which, as I understand they've only built seven ever, means that's a pretty rare thing)!

I'll run the v5 past said friend at the first opportunity and get their views on colour before reporting back.

Lies, you don't have any friends ! 
And even if you do, dusting the watches at Patek museum, doesn't count as experience...

But in all seriousness, I would be happy to have that opinion from him added to this thread :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Realism
17 hours ago, Glaude said:

My last FAQ point was indeed to show that there's so much to consider when comparing pictures from different origins, that unless you have this rep and the gen in hand, it's pointless to ditch out this rep, only for that reason.

Even with the gen, what dial number of gen will you have, is still to consider when comparing them

The dial is pretty close to the gen's color... Certainly the closest of any existing iterations... Besides, in the wild, you'd need to be very close and scrutinizing to be able to spot the differences.

Bravo for the review. This certainly reignited my wants list after purchasing my last watch in 2016 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
1 hour ago, Realism said:

The dial is pretty close to the gen's color... Certainly the closest of any existing iterations... Besides, in the wild, you'd need to be very close and scrutinizing to be able to spot the differences.

Bravo for the review. This certainly reignited my wants list after purchasing my last watch in 2016 lol

Thank you for your comment, which I fully agree with :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pekeano

With all the details, technical stuff and write up, I just might consider having one of these.

Great reading! Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
6 minutes ago, Pekeano said:

With all the details, technical stuff and write up, I just might consider having one of these.

Great reading! Thanks.

Thank you very much ! It's a great watch, but expensive, if you are unsure, look for some cheaper or M2M to give you an idea :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Realism
10 hours ago, Glaude said:

Thank you very much ! It's a great watch, but expensive, if you are unsure, look for some cheaper or M2M to give you an idea :) 

At least it's cheaper than the Arf or Noob 904L Rollies... *Self convincing* words haha:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gilrob

I first read this over at RWI and I just had to come over here to congratulate Glaude for his excellent review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
Just now, gilrob said:

I first read this over at RWI and I just had to come over here to congratulate Glaude for his excellent review.

I saw that someone linked the thread over at RWI :) 

Thank you for stopping by and for your thanks :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sergio

Wow ..... Talk about an education piece !!!! Am ordering my first REP thanks to this article ..... Can't wait to recieve it ......

Love this site .... Thanks for all the help,  from the great enthusiast's !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luxuracer

@Sergio

Quote a long post ... is a bannable offend. :woo: 

You are lucky, since this is @Glaude's thread ... He loves it when people quote his post! :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomatoheadFred

SOMEONE GULAG THAT PENIS RIGHT NOW!!!!! Fucking hell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sergio
1 hour ago, Luxuracer said:

@Sergio

Quote a long post ... is a bannable offend. :woo: 

You are lucky, since this is @Glaude's thread ... He loves it when people quote his post! :rofl:

I think I accidently posted what I was reading by mistake..... Sorry !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomatoheadFred
37 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I think I accidently posted what I was reading by mistake..... Sorry !!!!!

Ahhhhhhhh. That was a sweet apology. Thanks dude!

Would you mind if we still just gulagged you a tiny bit?

^^^^And this is why I don't have any power on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luxuracer
2 minutes ago, AskGinger said:

Ahhhhhhhh. That was a sweet apology. Thanks dude!

Would you mind if we still just gulagged you a tiny bit?

^^^^And this is why I don't have any power on this forum.

Being in the same thread with you ... is punishing enough ... you Gingerweasel! :rofl:

Go back to your AskGinger's corner/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
2 hours ago, Sergio said:

I think I accidently posted what I was reading by mistake..... Sorry !!!!!

And like nothing ever happened ;)

Luxuracer wasn't talking about your post that wasn't a problem at all, but just the fact that you quoted my review ;) It's fixed now :)

Thank you very much for your comment and I hope you'll agree with my review once you have the watch in hand, share your impression in this post once you get it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sergio

Thanks,, I will let you know when I recieve  it ........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deu2ce

Wow this is great piece of information. Ref 3800 was mentioned briefly but I'm sure this would be useful when examining the QC pics of the 3800 I just ordered. With my 6.3" wrist I think this fits me better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
E82

This review is one of the 3 things I'd bring with me on a desert island.

Thank you @Glaude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomatoheadFred
10 minutes ago, E82 said:

This review is one of the 3 things I'd bring with me on a desert island.

Thank you @Glaude

So that if you were having trouble sleeping, you could read this and nod off easier? Or were you thinking of printing it out and using it as toilet paper? Or as kindling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
E82
1 minute ago, Gingerskooch said:

So that if you were having trouble sleeping, you could read this and nod off easier? Or were you thinking of printing it out and using it as toilet paper? Or as kindling?

So that if I feel alone and desperate I could always comfort myself knowing that at least I won't read any new Glaude's review anymore :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomatoheadFred

Ah yes, good thinking.  :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
3 hours ago, Gingerskooch said:

So that if you were having trouble sleeping, you could read this and nod off easier? Or were you thinking of printing it out and using it as toilet paper? Or as kindling?

Two perfectly valid propositions :D 
Let's just hope he doesn't take your resume instead, that would only allow him to blow his nose or light a candle... at best ! 

3 hours ago, Gingerskooch said:

So that if you were having trouble sleeping, you could read this and nod off easier? Or were you thinking of printing it out and using it as toilet paper? Or as kindling?

Thank you very much, cheeky bugger ;) 

3 hours ago, E82 said:

So that if I feel alone and desperate I could always comfort myself knowing that at least I won't read any new Glaude's review anymore :D

A better life than the ginger, he's constantly alone and desperate and still have to read my new reviews ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomatoheadFred
2 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Let's just hope he doesn't take your resume instead, that would only allow him to blow his nose or light a candle... at best ! 

3 hours ago, Gingerskooch said:

I'll have you know I'm very highly regarded in my field!!!! The toilets I'm in charge of have been voted the region's cleanest public toilets for the last two years running!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glaude
2 minutes ago, Gingerskooch said:

I'll have you know I'm very highly regarded in my field!!!! The toilets I'm in charge of have been voted the region's cleanest public toilets for the last two years running!

Never had a single doubt about your competence ! Congrats !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×