cvp3

Seiko - Just discovered the SKX013

cvp3

Just discovered the Seiko SKX013. It comes in 2 variant K1 = shitty plastic strap, K2 = nice jubilee. I bought the K1 below for $149 at CreationWatch  during their Christmas sale. Had I known the mod-disease this would cause I would've ordered more. I was able to pick up a K2 on Amazon with my Discover Card cash back and 5% rebate for $150-ish. I then found another K2 on Etsy for $170 and snapped it up. The bezel rings are $6 to $13 dollars and the dial/handsets/chapter ring are $15. I bought a red dial, blue dial and 3 bezels (blue, coke, pepsi)

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Here's the way my first one came. 

IMG_9661.jpg

Added a $10 bracelet. 

IMG_9662.jpg

Next to my SKX009K2 for reference

IMG-9664.jpg

Thinking I'm going to try this look. 

s-l1600.jpg

cvp3
12 minutes ago, NCRich said:

I've been looking at those on ebay.  Check out this guy for ideas.

https://www.ebay.com/str/restoredwatches

NOICE! I left out the best part. These are mid-size 38mm. I can handle 47mm PAMs, but these just feel right. Typing this as I wear my outrageously large Seiko SUN065. 50mm with crown and case guard. 

Kontrolsports! is pretty good as well. 

cvp3

Another nice one

Jasonbaylee

Thx CVP3 & NCRich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenTLe
12 hours ago, NCRich said:

That is a great size.  I have one of these limited edition Asia Citizen retro divers on the way.  Its a 42mm.

https://www.citizen.com.my/html/en/products/promaster/marine/ny0088-11e.html

LOL, I've one on the way too, but it's the ny0040-17lem full package:

citizen-promaster-aqualand-ny0040-17l-au

in this package:

9448388_s210.jpg?v=1540559327461

Edited by GenTLe

GenTLe
On 30/12/2018 at 23:20, cvp3 said:

Thinking I'm going to try this look. 

s-l1600.jpg

Me no/like...

I think these are between the best options:

s-l300.jpgIMG_0030skx_PO_1024x1024.jpg?v=151655495

Edited by GenTLe

cvp3

Yup, I have a blue dial coming as well. I plan on taking a few pics of everything laid out before I tackle it. 

Khronos

Creationwatches has a coupon code again ( NEWYEAR ) and you can get a couple of Seikos with an additional 15% discount. For example the SNA411 Flightmaster for about 176$, that's a decent price I think. And of course the SKX013, 007 and 009 too. 

NCRich
20 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Creationwatches has a coupon code again ( NEWYEAR ) and you can get a couple of Seikos with an additional 15% discount. For example the SNA411 Flightmaster for about 176$, that's a decent price I think. And of course the SKX013, 007 and 009 too. 

I wish you hadn't done that.  :rofl:

Khronos
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

I wish you hadn't done that.  :rofl:

My wife too :D

cvp3

First mod is done. Phew. LOL

Some guys lose their shit when you put a glassback on an un-decorated movement. I love mechanical watches and couldn't give a FFF (fat, flying, fuck) if it's decorated or not...I still love it. Bezels should be here in 2 weeks and I intend to tackle them myself...videos make it look pretty straight forward. Says CVP just prior to grenading his Seiko. Gotta learn somehow. I'll leave the dial, crystal and hands to Katt. 

IMG-9805.jpgIMG-9804.jpg

IMG-9806.jpg

IMG-9803.jpg

Edited by cvp3
Because I barely have command of the English language and from time to time I sound like a fucking total retard after I re-read my post. So I reserve the right to edit said post after reading what a dumbshit I sound like.

cvp3

Couple of eBay scores tonight. Some refurbed Seikos from the Philippines. I have relatives there so it makes the shipping easier. 

Seiko SKX779K1 aka Black Monster $120 (already order a brand new OEM/Seiko bracelet $44)

Seiko 7002-7001 blue mod $108 (new dial, new hands, new chapter ring, new bezel, new bracelet, buffed Crystal/case)

Seiko SKX007 batman diver mod $132 (new dial, Doxa hands, new chapter ring, new bezel, new bracelet, buffed Crystal/case)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

cvp3

Update - I added the batman diver above after some negotiating with the seller. I went through his 'SOLD history' on eBay and that batman diver caught my eye. He agreed to make another for the same auction price. 

@GC dagaz has been on my radar for a few years. There are tons out there as well for modding Seikos:

Artifice Horoworks

Mad Mod World (wouldn't recommend them)

Yobokis

AWC Panama 

NamokiMods

One Second Closer

Right on time

Chrono 24

LCBI 

DLW - who have parts I need to build the Seiko-mods below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

cvp3

More on the way.....

s-l1600.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Waspy
4 hours ago, cvp3 said:

More on the way.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Love these.

Mostly because they have SKX031 dials.

Here's my SKX031:

Rpr5d.jpg

Edited by Waspy
error

headhunt3r

@cvp3 where do you find parts to be of best value overall? I'm considering modding my SKX007 to something GMT-esk since it's not selling in M2M.

BIG GRUNDY

CVP -

You should set up a thread over on the seiko section (or have admin move?) so 'I" and possibly others can review and follow.  I can only imagine you're manic obsession with watches will have all of those modded in no time at all.  Thanks for the info and putting one more thing on my personal wishlist...

cheers

GenTLe
Also, it may interest you to know, these can be upgraded to the NH36 movement. 
The problem is, the crown is not detachable.
Until now, check out this link: https://seikoparts.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/mid-size-s-crown/

I did. You can find crowns on the web that are like the gen and accept a screw-in stem :) The 2 movements are exactly the same dimensionally.

KarmaToBurn

Did you buy all those watches or the mods to make all those watches? Either way .... Cool!

It may be the photo but I quite like the glossy bezel and red triangle on this one...

image.jpg

cvp3
18 hours ago, Waspy said:

Love these.

Mostly because they have SKX031 dials.

Here's my SKX031:

Rpr5d.jpg

Agreed. I'm reading up on my Seikos......what I've learned is I have a lot to learn. That dial with the back bezel spoke to me.   

18 hours ago, headhunt3r said:

@cvp3 where do you find parts to be of best value overall? I'm considering modding my SKX007 to something GMT-esk since it's not selling in M2M.

eBay is incredibly cheap, especially stuff from the Philippines. Dagaz is also VERY competitive. Some of the lumed bezels that I really wanted to try are sold out. $50 for a lumed bezel though so not cheap. 

13 hours ago, Waspy said:

Also, it may interest you to know, these can be upgraded to the NH36 movement. 

The problem is, the crown is not detachable.

Until now, check out this link: https://seikoparts.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/mid-size-s-crown/

Definitely want to go all out on 1 watch. Movement, crown, strap code bracelet, double dome sapphire Crystal, bezel and insert,  aftermarket hand set, dial and chapter ring. Basically start with an empty case. Probably run me $300-$350 parts and $150 labor. 

10 hours ago, BIG GRUNDY said:

CVP -

You should set up a thread over on the seiko section (or have admin move?) so 'I" and possibly others can review and follow.  I can only imagine you're manic obsession with watches will have all of those modded in no time at all.  Thanks for the info and putting one more thing on my personal wishlist...

cheers

To be clear, I'm going to mod a few of my SKX013's to learn what I'm doing. I'm watching lots of videos on YouTube. The watches above are being built in the Philippines for me. Pretty easy to find the seller on eBay. Clauthetrader Once I told him the 5 Seikos to make he immediately listed several similar and/or same watches for sale.  My guess is he's sourcing multiple hand sets, bezels and dials - and for efficiency, he's making 3 to 4 of each design at once. His turn around time is 4 to 5 days, so I picture 2 or 3 folks churning these out. Most likely a family. We agreed to $130 apiece which seemed reasonable. These are refurbished Seikos with regulated movements, buffed cases and mine will have new Seiko branded bracelets. So basically a $50 - $75 watch. Add in custom dial, hands and bezels for another $35 in parts and you figure out his profit. He's also FedEx-Ing the delivery as part of the cost so I should see watches by the end of the month. 

Here's a listing to make it easier to find those interested. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-STUNNING-MOD-VINTAGE-SEIKO-DIVER-7002-7001-AUTOMATIC-MENS-WATCH-S-N-130683/183622740798?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

7 hours ago, KarmaToBurn said:

Did you buy all those watches or the mods to make all those watches? Either way .... Cool!

It may be the photo but I quite like the glossy bezel and red triangle on this one...

image.jpg

That would be nearly my Seiko-mod Grail. Clauthetrader doesn't have the parts to build it. When I sent him the picture he immediately responded "That's a new SKX009, with Mercedes hands, double dome sapphire Crystal with A/R and a lumed ceramic bezel. I don't have those parts here in the Philippines." Well a few things I gathered from that response. One, this guy knows Seiko-mods. Two, he's looked at the after-market sites because that's the only way you'd know that parts list as he responded within 30 seconds of me sending the picture. Lastly, he won't promise (so far) something he can't do. 

Once I get all 10 watches from him, if I'm happy with the quality I may work on some others with him. The 2 I didn't list but asked him to source were vintage Citizen Pro Divers. The GN-4-S and the ProMaster 200m gold crown lefty. Each will be cleaned and serviced for $100 apiece.

cvp3

Here's the 2 Citizens. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Damnit, he listed another one I like. I'm a sucker for a PADI dial. This could get dangerous.

image.jpg