semperfi55

The Tourbillon Infothread

Dr Fun Socks

Dude this is absolutely fantastic! Im a huge tourby fan but you definitely have me beat on this one! Learnt a lot about the subject and how it works. Not sure if you have seen the replica roger dubuis double tourbillon ($5k for the rep) but it didnt look like any of the movements up there.

https://www.intime03.co/roger-dubuis/4588-hommage-rddbho0562-ss-jbf-sliver-dial-on-black-croco-leather-strap-double-tourbillion.html

Its amazing how far tourbys have come in such a relatively small time. Cant wait for the first rep bi-axial tourby but judging by the rd above it wont be cheap...

milikes

Great piece. I have read it with full interest. Well done and thank you for your work!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

yllekp

This is my old one after servicing.  It needed a lot of work. They are not built to perfection from the factory. 

kOWW6qN.jpg1czk8MP.jpgQpDG8iv.jpg2jehAvt.jpg

Kleen™

Very interesting read...thanks for taking the time to write and post it... :)

SCShrek

VCrlGo.md.jpg VCrgEL.md.jpg

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but this is a Patek rep that I have and i've been try to identify the movement. The site I bought it from identifies it as  an "Asian manual hand winding tourbillion movement". Wow thanks for that! It looks like it could be some type of Seagull based on the movements in this article but I havent seen one with the date at the 12 oclock position and whats supposed to be GMT time at the 9 oclock position. By the way, the GMT is not correct nor is it settable but it does rotate so I dont know what that is. This is my mystery watch if anyone could shed some light on it. Other than the GMT, this tourbillion has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. It's one of my favorites in terms of looks.

Edited by gwbmcse

GenTLe
7 minutes ago, gwbmcse said:

VCrlGo.md.jpg VCrgEL.md.jpg

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but this is a Patek rep that I have and i've been try to identify the movement. The site I bought it from identifies it as  an "Asian manual hand winding tourbillion movement". Wow thanks for that! It looks like it could be some type of Seagull based on the movements in this article but I havent seen one with the date at the 12 oclock position and whats supposed to be GMT time at the 9 oclock position. By the way, the GMT is not correct nor is it settable but it does rotate so I dont know what that is. This is my mystery watch if anyone could shed some light on it. Other than the GMT, this tourbillion has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. It's one of my favorites in terms of looks.

Are you sure that's a tourbillon and not a simple open heart?

SCShrek

Got from Chazing and unless they are lying on their web site, it should be. For $700 it also should be but then again, that's what I was trying to figure out. It's labeled as "CLASSIC TOURBILLON BIG DATE SS WHITE TEXTURED DIAL ON BLACK LEATHER STRAP"

https://chazingtime04.co/products/classic-tourbillon-big-date-ss-white-textured-dial-black-leather-strap

GenTLe
1 hour ago, gwbmcse said:

Got from Chazing and unless they are lying on their web site, it should be. For $700 it also should be but then again, that's what I was trying to figure out. It's labeled as "CLASSIC TOURBILLON BIG DATE SS WHITE TEXTURED DIAL ON BLACK LEATHER STRAP"

https://chazingtime04.co/products/classic-tourbillon-big-date-ss-white-textured-dial-black-leather-strap

Yes, it is, here it's clear:

IMG_1376.jpg?itok=OS07oBuI

SCShrek

Whew! That would’ve sucked. Any idea on the movement?  Mainly trying to figure it out so I know what the GMT is actually supposed to be. What complication on watch doesn’t need the ability to set it.,.besides a crappy one of course. 

Edited by gwbmcse

GenTLe

I've looked through my seagull catalogue but I didn't find one like that. That's 24h complication is not a complication :) It is basically a hour hand repeater on a 24h scale. And, if the moon phase does a complete cycle every day, also that one is the same (the moon phase should do a full rotation every 28 days).

SCShrek

Yeah, she’s not a moon phase, just a day night indicator which does cycle correctly every 24 hours. So this movement, whatever it is, has the date and dual hour hand repeaters...strange. Good thing she’s pretty. lol 

fatarms

That looks to be a Hangzhou (PTS) FD3310 from the first page.  Sun/moon thing at 3 and a 24 hour dial at 9.

SCShrek

I looked at the PTS catalog and didn’t see any movements with dates at the 12 o’clock position. 

fatarms
21 minutes ago, gwbmcse said:

I looked at the PTS catalog and didn’t see any movements with dates at the 12 o’clock position. 

I completely missed the huge date at 12 on that movement, I'm an idiot :lol:

Mystery Shopper

I found this on the Jacobs & Co Astronomia. There is a time lapse in the first minute that is worth watching but the rest, meh.  Also, the meteor packaging is a bit flasher to the box, sticky tape and bubble wrap we are used to. :D

fatarms

That guy looks like Donald Trump's twin sister.

rj999

Spotted the RWG Tourbillon thread while investigating the innards of a 9015 and looking for info on it. I am normally an RWI person.
 I thought this post about my Label Noir Milgauss rep might be of interest. It's a flying tourbillon automatic movement and I needed to investigate it further because it only runs reliably in the horizontal position on my Timegrapher.  It'll run continuously with good power reserve and drop about 4 seconds in 24hours. On the wrist, it stops, sometimes frequently and sometimes after an hour or so. A quick flick of the wrist and it's  off again. Since I've abandoned it as a wristworthy timepiece because of this problem and also the weakness of the PVD coating, while I had it apart, I painted the seconds hand blue for fun while I had it apart, copying an image I saw on the Label Noir site.

I couldn't find anything really wrong with the movement, but I think there is excessive vertical movement of the cage, which I suspect is causing meshing problems on the teeth somewhere. As a last resort, I sloshed oil on all the bearings I could get at without trying to strip the tourbillon cage, which would be beyond my ability. (Seriously I used D8000 and my finest oiler!) It does seem to be running a bit better now.   But not usably...

Any idea what movement this is please?

0DBX.jpg Sg5c.jpg SVbI.jpg

Edited by rj999
typos etc.

GenTLe
43 minutes ago, rj999 said:

Spotted the RWG Tourbillon thread while investigating the innards of a 9015 and looking for info on it. I am normally an RWI person.
 I thought this post about my Label Noir Milgauss rep might be of interest. It's a flying tourbillon automatic movement and I needed to investigate it further because it only runs reliably in the horizontal position on my Timegrapher.  It'll run continuously with good power reserve and drop about 4 seconds in 24hours. On the wrist, it stops, sometimes frequently and sometimes after an hour or so. A quick flick of the wrist and it's  off again. Since I've abandoned it as a wristworthy timepiece because of this problem and also the weakness of the PVD coating, while I had it apart, I painted the seconds hand blue for fun while I had it apart, copying an image I saw on the Label Noir site.

I couldn't find anything really wrong with the movement, but I think there is excessive vertical movement of the cage, which I suspect is causing meshing problems on the teeth somewhere. As a last resort, I sloshed oil on all the bearings I could get at without trying to strip the tourbillon cage, which would be beyond my ability. (Seriously I used D5000 and my finest oiler!) It does seem to be running a bit better now.   But not usably...

Any idea what movement this is please?

0DBX.jpg Sg5c.jpg SVbI.jpg

It seems a mish-mash between an eta clone (keyless, reverse gears) and a chinese something... Probably a custom movement...

rj999
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

It seems a mish-mash between an eta clone (keyless, reverse gears) and a chinese something... Probably a custom movement...

Yes, the automatic reversing wheels and in fact the whole of that gear train seem the same as a 2824, but with no bottom cover. It fascinates me to think how big or small  a volume of these specially crafted assemblies they sell.

rj999

Z6vQD.jpg

I finally decided to take the movement apart. It is after all no use unless it's reliable. This is  the heart of the tourbillon, below the shaft with a large jewel. You can see that it's pinned in position by a washer with a c-clip on top. It's here that the end play is occurring allowing the larger wheel to slip in and out of contact with the outer ones. No cure that I can see unless you have access to all the right replacement parts.

Edited by rj999

Stoaty

What a fantastic post. Thank you.