Tits McGee

Question For The Experts

Tits McGee

Believe it or not, I have a legitimate question. I know not, how I will accomplish this project.....yet I'm sure in the end I'll conquer this quest thru sheer will power and tenacity, (and you guys). 

I happen to be fortunate enough to have had one of these passed down thru the family to me from my recently passed dear Aunt Fuzzy Mae. It's a quartz version Speedy Ole Uncle Bumpus had it vintagized. How....I don't want to know. 

I'd like to put a hand wind ST19 or Lemania movement (is there a difference?) in this thing. Anybody know if this can be done? Yes no?

izTjdTT.jpg

7H3Jsjh.jpg

F1vIzBp.jpg

Genius

Sorry but no chance, sub dial spacing is way out.  Just keep the quartz in there looks miles better than the st19 versions anyway

JSJ

Absolutely agree with Genius about the build. It would be far more trouble than it's worth, both in time and probably money (new dial, almost certainly the case won't fit, etc).

Not sure I agree about the movement. The Venus is an interesting piece to own. It's a column wheel chronograph which is rare these days. If you like that sort of thing, then I'd buy one.

If you don't fancy a rep Speedy (here I kind of agree with Genius again, although I have one) the Chinese Air Force Sea-gull 1963 re-release is a good choice.

Only bad thing about the movement is the click spring which are known to be dodgy. I had to make one and it was a right bugger to get it to fit.

Luxuracer

Great watch ... @Tits McGee

You can start the project by ... buying a ST19 movement ... you can find one on eBay or Alpha Watch
Next, you need to source a new dial and hands ... since the subdial spacing and pinions are different.
While you at it ... put up a WTB thread for a new case ... because the ST19 won't fit into the quartz case.

After you gather all the needed parts ... we will go to the assembling part.

If after a year ... and you still can not source all the required parts ... buy a hand-winding speedy and send it to Uncle Bumpus. :rofl: 

paccbet
1 hour ago, JSJ said:

If you don't fancy a rep Speedy (here I kind of agree with Genius again, although I have one) the Chinese Air Force Sea-gull 1963 re-release is a good choice.

Agreed, the HKED reissue could be had for $280 ;) 

xDdqhQL.jpg