Sign in to follow this  
ElvisFreak

Those ''gold wrapped'' replicas

ElvisFreak

so, i remember owning a white dial two tone gold wrapped  Datejust  about 15 years ago (maybe less)

but i did not own it long enough to see if the gold would hold out for as long as these wrapped reps are to supposedly do.

my thread is to see if any members out there have worn such a watch for several years and how is gold on them...

would like to hear both scary and happy stories.

Rx4Time

The Hitman on rwi did an acid test on a gold wrapped link and it failed 10 k which was the lowest it could go.  Bottom line is it's a combination of gold, copper and other alloys.  Milage will very since there's a number of factors that will affect durability, ranging from the quality of the plating process, the condition of the substrate it's applied to, and the actual chemical plating material. As you've probably seen there's some older ones that are a decade or more they're still in good condition, and others have issues pretty much straight from the factory.  It's a Gamble.  the general consensus is it's not worth it to get a plated piece unless the genuine version is also plated, or you can accept the shortfalls.